Old 15-09-2008, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default dismantling greenhouse what to do with it?

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Sacha
writes

Back to the idea of Cat's wine. Put it outside the gate in a box saying
"free to a good home". If you have a pile of old newspapers placed beside
it so people can wrap it too, so much the better. I did something similar
with unwanted cartridges of ink for a defunct printer. They disappeared
pretty quickly!

Not so sure about 6' x 3 foot panes of glass

Eeeeeeeek!

Just what I need for *MY* greenhouse!

If I get a really long, thick piece of elastic and tie one end to my
shed, then trail it out of the bus to Amersham, attach it to the
greenhouse...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-09-2008, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from K contains these words:

Well, don't tell us, tell them! They need to know if their process is
putting off new members.

Share all your grumbles about yahoo, but once I got on to Yahoo, getting
registered on to all three of our relatively local freecycles was
simple. And of course, once you've done it, you don't have to do it
again.

Lots of people on freecycle are interested in plants, you know ;-)

I wouldn't touch Yahoo with *YOUR* bargepole.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-09-2008, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

What a shame you don't live closer to each other! I suppose Janet, you've
thought of ringing a glazing company just in case they can advise you?

There ought to be a service like Avis uses (used to use?) where you hire
a car and hand it back near your destination. Take you glass to Bloggs
Glazing and Mary pays a small charge for drawing similar from Smashby
Glass oop by tripe mine.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-09-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gb gb is offline

Do not bother to save the glass as its horticultural grade glass, and
our local council will not accept it as 'recycled glass', it has to go
into the general landfill.

The glass as its old will have gone, dare i say brittle. What i mean
by that is new glass can be scoured and snapped cleanly, if you do the
same with old glass it will snap everywhere else but at the scoured
line.

I am dismantling my 10 x 8 old Alton greenhouse this weekend. All glass
is okay but 50% of wood is rotten and needs replacing.
Would it be worth asking anywhere if anyone wants it? I can take it to
the tip but i suddenly thought there might be someone who could make use
of it?

If anyone here wants to collect it I'm in Amersham.
It does need wood replacing though.

Old 16-09-2008, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Not so sure about 6' x 3 foot panes of glass

They are probebly "Dutch lights" which is a standard size and its not
cheap as I have just had to replace some! however its also not easy to
move any great distance

What a shame you don't live closer to each other! I suppose Janet, you've
thought of ringing a glazing company just in case they can advise you?

Well I did crack one pane in the end but it's all now out and the frame
dismantled.

I've got to get it down the tip but I think it will be several trips
just in case!

Best thing I ever bought for the gardening is a pair of welders gloves,
they have been brilliant at handling the glass plus the hedge trimmings
and any other prickly job!
Thoroughly recommended....

For the glass, i need to get it all out of the way as i now have to lift
those foundation stone things and get the ground level before the new
one is delivered!!

Lots of wood for starting our fire now!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 16-09-2008, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Eeeeeeeek!

Just what I need for *MY* greenhouse!

If I get a really long, thick piece of elastic and tie one end to my
shed, then trail it out of the bus to Amersham, attach it to the
greenhouse...

I'd bring it if it wasn't quite so far Rusty, i do hate discarding
things if someone else can make use of them.
I even put my dahlias out on the end of the drive for free as i don't
like cut flowers and i need to 'encourage' the plants to bloom for the
show.

I bet anything that someone will say that the glass is just what they
wanted, about 5 minutes after i have taken the last pane down the tip

Janet
Old 16-09-2008, 02:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

and a totally worn out dishwasher put outside the house at 5 a.m.
shortly before
we went on holiday. It had gone by 05:05. The heavy rubbish day truck
wasn't due
until 10:00.

What on earth is a heavy day rubbish truck?
Old 16-09-2008, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Quite. Bringing back a six-foot container-grown apple tree, a grape
(Boskoop's Glory, a whitecurrant and a Chinese Goosegog on the bus today
was bad enough.

Staggering on amongst the purchases, I said: "Burnham Wood has come to
Dunsinane!" and was pleased how many seemed to get the allusion...

Definitely
Double bubble toil and trouble bringing that lot home
Old 16-09-2008, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Feel quite disgruntled...................

Well, don't tell us, tell them! They need to know if their process is
putting off new members.

You know me Kay, I did
Now had another email to say that I could reapply if i fill out the
questionnaires correctly and ignore what it ask for on the web

Share all your grumbles about yahoo, but once I got on to Yahoo,
getting registered on to all three of our relatively local freecycles
was simple. And of course, once you've done it, you don't have to do it
again.

Lots of people on freecycle are interested in plants, you know ;-)

Well I have to belong to a printing yahoo group and still it took ages
to get this free cycle one done. Seems it has three moderators in place,
all of whom say i should tell them everything in details on the 'message
to moderator' box etc etc.

Old 16-09-2008, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , gb
writes
Do not bother to save the glass as its horticultural grade glass, and
our local council will not accept it as 'recycled glass', it has to go
into the general landfill.

The glass as its old will have gone, dare i say brittle. What i mean
by that is new glass can be scoured and snapped cleanly, if you do the
same with old glass it will snap everywhere else but at the scoured
line.

Oh actually it doesn't. i had to crack the last pane in the roof as it
was completely jammed in the dangerously wonky roof rafters and it came
away clean.
Still I'm taking it down the dump today so maybe that's the end of
it..............

Old 16-09-2008, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/9/08 11:55, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Quite. Bringing back a six-foot container-grown apple tree, a grape
(Boskoop's Glory, a whitecurrant and a Chinese Goosegog on the bus today
was bad enough.

Staggering on amongst the purchases, I said: "Burnham Wood has come to
Dunsinane!" and was pleased how many seemed to get the allusion...

Definitely
Double bubble toil and trouble bringing that lot home

Quoting Macbeth!! Aaaaaggghhh!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-09-2008, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:
Martin writes

and a totally worn out dishwasher put outside the house
at 5 a.m. shortly before we went on holiday. It had gone
by 05:05. The heavy rubbish day truck wasn't due until 10:00.

What on earth is a heavy day rubbish truck?

I presumed it to be the truck the Council use, on the day
they collect the heavy rubbish.

Yes, but what is heavy rubbish? We only get a dustbin lorry for the
garden waste and then other weeks, the black wheelie bins. We never get
anyone collecting large stuff unless we pay £25.00 a time.
Old 16-09-2008, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:22:42 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote and included this (or some of this):

What on earth is a heavy day rubbish truck?

I presumed it to be the truck the Council use, on the day
they collect the heavy rubbish.

Yes, but what is heavy rubbish? We only get a dustbin lorry for the
garden waste and then other weeks, the black wheelie bins. We never get
anyone collecting large stuff unless we pay £25.00 a time.

Our lot do a special collection of heavy items at £3 a shot (prepaid)
(Armchairs, ovens, doors etc)
Good value I reckon.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 16-09-2008, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I'd bring it if it wasn't quite so far Rusty, i do hate discarding
things if someone else can make use of them.

S'OK - I wasn't angling for such a service: it just makes me weep at the
thought of it being dumped.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-09-2008, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Martin
writes

and a totally worn out dishwasher put outside the house at 5 a.m.
shortly before
we went on holiday. It had gone by 05:05. The heavy rubbish day truck
wasn't due
until 10:00.

What on earth is a heavy day rubbish truck?

It's when you've got up early to welcome the gas man, and you have a
mountain of washing-up to do, twenty pounds of runner beans to prepare
for the freezer, a room to clear of furniture for its decoration, three
smalls to keep an eye on, meals to prepare, the washing-machine is
broken - to start with...

Then you find yourself having truck with some pikeys wanting to tarmac
your front garden.

HTH

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Alton Greenhouse dismantling advice Tractorboy United Kingdom 15 05-06-2011 05:44 PM
Green House dismantling mark United Kingdom 19 07-09-2009 01:57 PM
Dismantling old greenhouse. Where to start? JBB United Kingdom 7 03-06-2004 03:05 AM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 06:20 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 10:15 PM