Old 14-09-2008, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing your own veg etc

Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce, veg/herbs
etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Old 14-09-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R D S" wrote in message
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbs etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Potatoes no but tomato seeds we have a superb plant this year and have kept
seed to 'try' them again

Old 14-09-2008, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbs etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Potatoes no but tomato seeds we have a superb plant this year and have
kept seed to 'try' them again

Interesting.
So when a spud sprouts what would it do if planted?

Good luck with the tomatoes.
I want to get into the swing of growing my own stuff before GM takes off.

Old 14-09-2008, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"R D S" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbs etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds
or once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Potatoes no but tomato seeds we have a superb plant this year and have
kept seed to 'try' them again

Interesting.
So when a spud sprouts what would it do if planted?

Good luck with the tomatoes.
I want to get into the swing of growing my own stuff before GM takes off.

Sorry I read the question wrong about the Spuds. I read it as if you were
asking if the Spud plant was a permanent thing and you took spuds off the
same plant each year :-(((
Yes a sprouting spud will grow. During the War this was done a lot at home,
even though Farmers were paid more per acre for spuds than other crops and
spuds were not rationed.

I digress :-(

Old 14-09-2008, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 14, 7:42*pm, "R D S" wrote:
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce, veg/herbs
etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Peas and broadbeans do very well this way - keep some to dry and
replant the following year. Did amazing well this year with last
year's peas. All veg can be done in this way, though mangetout would
be tricky ;o) You can let leeks flower and collect seeds, pumpkins,
all herbs etc. Its a wonderful way to save money. Keep all your seeds
in envelopes, dry and dark, I keep mine in shoe boxes. I swap lots
with friends and neighbours and collect weird seeds on my travels,
sometime I have no clue what it is but that makes it more interesting.

Old 14-09-2008, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

R D S writes
"'Mike'" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbs etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Potatoes no but tomato seeds we have a superb plant this year and have
kept seed to 'try' them again

Interesting.
So when a spud sprouts what would it do if planted?

It would grow into a potato. The reason people buy new each year is to
do with keeping diseases at bay.

--
Kay
Old 15-09-2008, 04:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Sep 14, 7:42 pm, "R D S" wrote:
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbsetc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds
or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

(snip) All veg can be done in this way,

This is incorrect. Not all veg can be grown this way. Some can. It
generally doesn't matter greatly for things like tomatoes but it can be
extremely important for other plants such as sweet corn.

If you want to grow plants from saved seed, learn about hybrids - do a
google on "F1 seeds" and "open pollinated seeds" and start learning from
there.

Old 15-09-2008, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbs etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Potatoes no but tomato seeds we have a superb plant this year and have
kept seed to 'try' them again

In the days before i knew anything about F1 Hybrid seeds...
.... I once grew some peppers from seeds "salvaged" from a greengrocers
pepper, they were lovely, but the second year crop was a disaster!

This might hve been more to do with local conditions. I didnt even have a
greenhouse in those days, but the significance to me is that it worked first
time.

John

Old 15-09-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "R D S" contains these words:
"'Mike'" wrote in message
"R D S" wrote in message
Next year I might have a dabble at growing some of my own produce,
veg/herbs etc.

I have a potentially stupid question, do you need to keep buying
seeds or
once its kicked off can you keep going?
Ie, will a potato grow into a plant, can tomato pips be planted?

Ta.

Potatoes no but tomato seeds we have a superb plant this year and have
kept seed to 'try' them again

Interesting.
So when a spud sprouts what would it do if planted?

Good luck with the tomatoes.
I want to get into the swing of growing my own stuff before GM takes off.

Just bought some British-grown San Marzano tomatoes to get seed from -
they're slightly different from the Italian ones I got a fortnight ago.

Also got a heart-shaped tomato, translates as 'beef heart'.

As regards your potato question, I don't think it is illegal for a
gardener to keep seed (the small ones) potatoes and plant them the
following year, but commercial growers have to have their 'seed'
potatoes from a grower oop north. (Anti-disease regulation)

ISTR something about second generation 'seed' being allowed under some
circumstances, BICBW.

Sometimes potatoes will overwinter if they are well covered, but you
really should grow your potatoes on a different piece of ground each
year - preferably with three years of other crops between.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-09-2008, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

R D S wrote:
..
: So when a spud sprouts what would it do if planted?

I had three sprouting in my cupboard so thought, why not give it a go. I got
three meals from them :-) And I didn't bank them up or anything.

--
Steve