Old 24-09-2008, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hunza Apricots

In article ,
echinosum writes:

| Those big black plums are grown in places like southern spain, and in
| Chile (centred on Santiago, at least 800km N of the region with an
| English-like climate). When properly ripe (so rare to find them like
| that here, but I've been in Chile in late summer/autumn a couple of
| times and got fully ripe ones) they are one of the most delicious
| fruits on the planet. But I really think you have no chance in even a
| 2003-strength Norfolk summer.

Well, I wouldn't rate them that highly - but that is a matter of taste!
The UK supermarket versions of most imported fruit are pale shadows of
what they can be, for the reason you give, and that they need to be
picked underripe for transport.

| If you want a super-delicious plum that can be grown in England,
| needing a good summer to ripen it, try Coe's Golden Drop.

Or Cambridge gage, or ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Perry View Post
Also picked up some South African plums, black, very sweet, and the size of peaches. They make Victorias look very mean and weedy. Remind me of the old fashioned Bells, but twice the size, so I shall also give those stones the same treatment as the Hunzas. Although I accept that the plums are unlikely to grow 'true to type'.
When I see the names of the plum varieties grown in Chile, http://www.chileanfreshfruit.com/plume.shtml I discover that none of them is on Brogdale's list.

Old 24-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Those big black plums are grown in places like southern spain, and in Chile
I've just discovered that those big (often black) plums grown in warmer climates are japanese plums, P salicina, though many of the varieties grown outside the far east originate in California or Australia. Now it turns out that there are some P salicina sold for cultivation in this country. http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/cultur...lum-trees.html
They are the only nursery in the country listed on RHS plant finder with P salicina. But one or two others do seem to be selling eg "Methley" but describing it as P domestica.
Since Reads is in Norfolk, you may have a chance! They are very early flowering though. Elsewhere on the web I read they do need protection to keep the fruit.
http://www.fruitforum.net/poor-mans-fruit-walls.htm
Old 24-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
I've just discovered that those big (often black) plums grown in warmer climates are japanese plums, P salicina, though many of the varieties grown outside the far east originate in California or Australia. Now it turns out that there are some P salicina sold for cultivation in this country. http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/cultur...lum-trees.html
They are the only nursery in the country listed on RHS plant finder with P salicina. But one or two others do seem to be selling eg "Methley" but describing it as P domestica.
Since Reads is in Norfolk, you may have a chance! They are very early flowering though. Elsewhere on the web I read they do need protection to keep the fruit.
http://www.fruitforum.net/poor-mans-fruit-walls.htm

Thanks, that's very interesting, I'll take a look. I'm sure I can find a suitable spot to plant one.
I was truly amazed by the size of those fruit, and even asked the grocer if they had been mis-labelled.
As all my land is on a south facing slope, it tends to get the best of whatever sun there happens to be, and the slope helps to conduct the cold frosty air downhill away from my trees, so there are no frost pockets.
I may be lucky, and won't know untill I try.

Tim.
Old 24-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren View Post

Well, I wouldn't rate them that highly - but that is a matter of taste!
The UK supermarket versions of most imported fruit are pale shadows of
what they can be, for the reason you give, and that they need to be
picked underripe for transport.

| If you want a super-delicious plum that can be grown in England,
| needing a good summer to ripen it, try Coe's Golden Drop.

Or Cambridge gage, or ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Supermarket, humm, can't remember the last time I visited one,
except to buy diesel.

My favourite plum WAS a Belle de Louvain, but now I'm not so sure.

But it was mainly the size of the fruit that I was commenting on,
and how meagerly a Victoria looks by comparison.

Tim.

Grafting Apricots WillA Edible Gardening 10 03-03-2004 10:12 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in cold climates Sherwin Dubren Gardening 20 09-02-2004 06:42 AM
Lecture on growing Apricots in colder climates Sherwin Dubren Edible Gardening 0 25-01-2004 05:32 AM
Apricots Andrew United Kingdom 1 16-06-2003 04:09 PM
Ripening apricots Andrew United Kingdom 3 25-05-2003 11:20 AM