GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hunza Apricots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178665-hunza-apricots.html)

Nick Maclaren 17-09-2008 11:14 PM

Hunza Apricots

In article ,
Tim Perry writes:

| Please can anyone tell me where I can buy hunza apricots in East Anglia.
| I saw them mentioned here, had never heard of them before, so I looked
| them up.
| From what I can gather they should grow true to type from stone,
| so if I could find out who sells them I can enjoy the fruit, then have
| a go at growing the tree.

I am told that Arjuna in Mill Road, Cambridge has them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tim Perry 18-09-2008 12:31 AM

Hunza Apricots

Please can anyone tell me where I can buy hunza apricots in East Anglia. I saw them mentioned here, had never heard of them before, so I looked them up.
From what I can gather they should grow true to type from stone,
so if I could find out who sells them I can enjoy the fruit, then have a go at growing the tree.
Many thanks.

Tim Perry

Pam Moore 18-09-2008 09:39 AM

Hunza Apricots

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:31:13 +0100, Tim Perry
wrote:

Please can anyone tell me where I can buy hunza apricots in East Anglia.
I saw them mentioned here, had never heard of them before, so I looked
them up.
From what I can gather they should grow true to type from stone,
so if I could find out who sells them I can enjoy the fruit, then have
a go at growing the tree.
Many thanks.

Tim Perry

Try health-food shops. Holland and Barrett used to sell them but no
longer do down here. The last I bought were from GNC, but have not
bought them lately. They need soaking overnight. I have not yet
succeeded in growing any, but have not tried that hard!
If you succeed let me know!

Pam in Bristol

Cat(h) 18-09-2008 12:27 PM

Hunza Apricots

wrote:

Please can anyone tell me where I can buy hunza apricots in East Anglia.
I saw them mentioned here, had never heard of them before, so I looked
them up.
From what I can gather they should grow true to type from stone,
so if I could find out who sells them I can enjoy the fruit, then have
a go at growing the tree.
Many thanks.

Tim Perry

Try health-food shops. *Holland and Barrett used to sell them but no
longer do down here. *The last I bought were from GNC, but have not
bought them lately. *They need soaking overnight. *I have not yet
succeeded in growing any, but have not tried that hard!
If you succeed let me know!

Pam in Bristol

Health food stores sell apricots dried and stoned.
To get stones, he'd need fresh apricots.
The snag with apricots, and tomatoes, and all those wonderful fruit
that taste so good in the South of France, or in Italy, or in Spain,
is that in the British Isles, they're never all *that* great, and
that's when the do manage to ripen fully!

Cat(h)

Tim Perry 18-09-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren (Post 816298)

I am told that Arjuna in Mill Road, Cambridge has them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for the reply Nick.
Cambridge is around 70 miles from me as the crow flies,
which would be quite a run for a handfull of fruit.

I have tried all the grocers in my area without any luck,
except one told me to try a health food shop.
Seems they might sell hunzas dried, 'though I don't know
if the stone would remain viable, I'll try anyway.

This person said hunzas are used in beauty products, I
would not know about that, any reference to beauty and me
in the same sentance would be a completely alien concept.

Rusty Hinge 2 18-09-2008 09:13 PM

Hunza Apricots

The message
from Tim Perry contains these words:

Please can anyone tell me where I can buy hunza apricots in East Anglia.
I saw them mentioned here, had never heard of them before, so I looked
them up.
From what I can gather they should grow true to type from stone,
so if I could find out who sells them I can enjoy the fruit, then have
a go at growing the tree.
Many thanks.

Norwich Market - about halfway up the second row from the left as you
face it, there's a stall which sells dried fruit, herbs and spices, and
lots more.

They usually have hunzas.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 18-09-2008 09:16 PM

Hunza Apricots

The message
from Tim Perry contains these words:

Thanks for the reply Nick.
Cambridge is around 70 miles from me as the crow flies,
which would be quite a run for a handfull of fruit.

'Course, it would help if you said just where you were innit.

I have tried all the grocers in my area without any luck,
except one told me to try a health food shop.
Seems they might sell hunzas dried, 'though I don't know
if the stone would remain viable, I'll try anyway.

Hunzas are always sold dry, AFAIK. They are left to dessicate on the
bush/shrub and picked dry, or so I've been told.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 18-09-2008 09:18 PM

Hunza Apricots

The message

from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Health food stores sell apricots dried and stoned.
To get stones, he'd need fresh apricots.
The snag with apricots, and tomatoes, and all those wonderful fruit
that taste so good in the South of France, or in Italy, or in Spain,
is that in the British Isles, they're never all *that* great, and
that's when the do manage to ripen fully!

Arbut, hunzas come from an even more extreme climate, and again AFAIK,
always come unhalved, and with stones in.

I know the winters where they come from are cold, but I don't know how
hot the summers get...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Tim Perry 19-09-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Moore (Post 816327)

They need soaking overnight. I have not yet
succeeded in growing any, but have not tried that hard!
If you succeed let me know!

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam and Cath, As I understand it hunzas are dried with the stone left in, unlike ordinary apricots.
If they are the same as most other drupes they take 18 months to germinate. This would imply a normal ripening time around September, like plums, then 18 months on to start growing in April.
If I wanted to speed things up I would have to give them 2 'artificial winters' in the fridge, with a warm period between,
then if I gently cracked the shells and planted then in March,
I just might have a chance.
I take your point, Cath, about getting the best out of them, but
in truth I just enjoy the challenge. Mostly I fail, but that just makes each tiny success all the more exciting.

Cat(h) 19-09-2008 01:03 PM

Hunza Apricots

On Sep 19, 5:37*am, Tim Perry
wrote:
Pam Moore;816327 Wrote:

They need soaking overnight. *I have not yet
succeeded in growing any, but have not tried that hard!
If you succeed let me know!

Pam in Bristol

Thanks Pam and Cath, As I understand it hunzas are dried with the stone
left in, unlike ordinary apricots.
If they are the same as most other drupes they take 18 months to
germinate. This would imply a normal ripening time around September,
like plums, then 18 months on to start growing in April.
If I wanted to speed things up I would have to give them 2 'artificial
winters' in the fridge, with a warm period between,
then if I gently cracked the shells and planted then in March,
I just might have a chance.
I take your point, Cath, about getting the best out of them, but
in truth I just enjoy the challenge. Mostly I fail, but that just makes
each tiny success all the more exciting.

That is very true, and I have shown my ignorance re. hunza dried
apricot coming with stones in.
Regarding your last point, this here eternal optimist has 2 fig trees
in pots, on the southish facing gable end of the house, which she
cajoles, massages and serenades daily... I have currently 7 figs
between them, about the size of the last knuckle in my thumb, and hard
as stones. Of course, they'll never ripen, but I'm chuffed to bits -
I only had 3 of those little ones last year!
So, I hear you :-)
Good luck with the hunzas.

Cat(h)

Tim Perry 19-09-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge 2 (Post 816474)

'Course, it would help if you said just where you were innit.

Hunzas are always sold dry, AFAIK. They are left to dessicate on the
bush/shrub and picked dry, or so I've been told.

Rusty

You are right of course Rusty, I'm in the Dereham area, so Norwich market is the best choice. I don't go there very often, but my son does.

Given the climate they come from, I'm hoping they will prove winter hardy, but as far as fruiting goes I guess it will be a gamble.

Do you think my plan to break dormancy has a chance ?
I know I could just bung them in and wait, but I'm no spring chicken, so I try to speed things up as much as possible, would be nice to see something grow before I peg out.

Tim.

Pam Moore 19-09-2008 07:51 PM

Hunza Apricots

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 05:37:14 +0100, Tim Perry
wrote:

Thanks Pam and Cath, As I understand it hunzas are dried with the stone
left in, unlike ordinary apricots.
If they are the same as most other drupes they take 18 months to
germinate. This would imply a normal ripening time around September,
like plums, then 18 months on to start growing in April.
If I wanted to speed things up I would have to give them 2 'artificial
winters' in the fridge, with a warm period between,
then if I gently cracked the shells and planted then in March,
I just might have a chance.

They grow up in the Himalayas, and survive very cold winters. The
idea of 2 winters is a good one. Freezer or fridge? I have already
soaked and eaten some and am now pondering on how to give them the
best chance.
I've grown French Mirabelles from the stones of fresh fruits, so these
should have a chance, although dried. I assume the Hunza apricots
have not been heat-treated?

Good luck

Pam in Bristol

Tim Perry 19-09-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat(h) (Post 816532)

Regarding your last point, this here eternal optimist has 2 fig trees
in pots.........

.....Of course, they'll never ripen, but I'm chuffed to bits
I only had 3 of those little ones last year!
So, I hear you :-)
Good luck with the hunzas.

Cat(h)

I like to call myself optimistic, most of my pals say I'm just nuts. This year I grew Pawpaws, Goji, Bananas, Avocado, and Loquats. I doubt if any will survive the winter, let alone ever bear fruit, but at least I did manage to germinate them.
I have fig trees growing in my lawn, each about 10ft tall, the fruit gets about tangerine size. The flesh between skin and seed is sweet enough, but they taste nothing like 'real' figs.

My excuse is that I'm still learning, that's why I ask so many questions, one day I'll get there. At the moment I still make lots of stupid mistakes - like posting a question, and forget to say where I am.
Lucky for me there are lots of more experienced and knowledgable gardeners out there who are prepared to pass on advice.

Tim Perry 20-09-2008 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Moore (Post 816556)
The idea of 2 winters is a good one. Freezer or fridge?

I've grown French Mirabelles from the stones of fresh fruits.......

I assume the Hunza apricots
have not been heat-treated?

Good luck

Pam in Bristol

Freezer or fridge ? I don't know, but the freezer hits -20, would that be too cold ?

I have not tried Mirabelles yet, although I think it was Bob Hobden who first suggested I try them.

From what I gathered from the net, and later confirmed by Rusty, hunzas are dried on the tree, so no artificial heating.

As I understand it they do not travel well fresh, which is why they are traditionally dried this way.

Tim.

Pam Moore 20-09-2008 05:36 PM

Hunza Apricots

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 21:59:58 +0100, Tim Perry
wrote:

I like to call myself optimistic, most of my pals say I'm just nuts.
This year I grew Pawpaws, Goji, Bananas, Avocado, and Loquats. I doubt
if any will survive the winter, let alone ever bear fruit, but at least
I did manage to germinate them.
I have fig trees growing in my lawn, each about 10ft tall, the fruit
gets about tangerine size. The flesh between skin and seed is sweet
enough, but they taste nothing like 'real' figs.

My excuse is that I'm still learning, that's why I ask so many
questions, one day I'll get there. At the moment I still make lots of
stupid mistakes - like posting a question, and forget to say where I
am.
Lucky for me there are lots of more experienced and knowledgable
gardeners out there who are prepared to pass on advice.

Tim, how did you grow the goji berries? Did they fruit?
I bought some plants but no fruit yet. I don't know what to expect
but understand they are hardy. I have twigs with leaves so far!
I have a fig in a pot which had about 6 good fruits last year, better
than the semi-dried ones I've seen in the shops I've had none at all
this year. A friend has one in the ground and has had 17 this year.

Pam in Bristol