GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Runner Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178867-runner-beans.html)

80/20[_2_] 28-09-2008 02:40 PM

Runner Beans

Are they safe to eat raw?

Steve

'Mike' 28-09-2008 02:48 PM

Runner Beans

"80/20" wrote in message
Are they safe to eat raw?

Steve

Much to a lot of people's displeasure, I am still here :-)

Mike

Nick Maclaren 28-09-2008 03:14 PM

Runner Beans

In article ,
"80/20" writes:

| Are they safe to eat raw?

If you mean the green pods with undeveloped seeds, yes. If you mean
the developed seeds, no.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

80/20[_2_] 28-09-2008 05:31 PM

Runner Beans

On 28 Sep, 15:14, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"80/20" writes:

| Are they safe to eat raw?

If you mean the green pods with undeveloped seeds, yes. *If you mean
the developed seeds, no.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick,

When you say "developed seeds" do you mean the ones I have left on the
plants for growing on and then drying for next years seeds, or when
they have actually dried out?

Cheers
Steve

Nick Maclaren 28-09-2008 06:39 PM

Runner Beans

In article ,
"80/20" writes:
| |
| | Are they safe to eat raw?
|
| If you mean the green pods with undeveloped seeds, yes. =A0If you mean
| the developed seeds, no.
|
| When you say "developed seeds" do you mean the ones I have left on the
| plants for growing on and then drying for next years seeds, or when
| they have actually dried out?

The former. I can't tell you when the toxin is produced, but it isn't
during drying.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 29-09-2008 10:01 AM

Runner Beans

'Mike' wrote:
"80/20" wrote in message
Are they safe to eat raw?

Steve

Much to a lot of people's displeasure, I am still here :-)

Mike

So am I. Might depend on how many are eaten, though. I normally just munch
2 or 3 when preparing them for cooking. Don't know what would happen if I
ate a couple of dozen.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Rusty Hinge 2 01-10-2008 03:14 PM

Runner Beans

The message

from "80/20" contains these words:

Are they safe to eat raw?

Yes.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 01-10-2008 03:15 PM

Runner Beans

The message
from "'Mike'" contains these words:
"80/20" wrote in message
Are they safe to eat raw?

Steve

Much to a lot of people's displeasure, I am still here :-)

Try smoe more?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 01-10-2008 03:16 PM

Runner Beans

The message
In article
,
"80/20" writes:
| |
| | Are they safe to eat raw?
|
| If you mean the green pods with undeveloped seeds, yes. =A0If you mean
| the developed seeds, no.
|
| When you say "developed seeds" do you mean the ones I have left on the
| plants for growing on and then drying for next years seeds, or when
| they have actually dried out?

The former. I can't tell you when the toxin is produced, but it isn't
during drying.

However, if you cook them as per red kidney beans, they're fine to eat.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 01-10-2008 03:17 PM

Runner Beans

The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:
'Mike' wrote:

Much to a lot of people's displeasure, I am still here :-)

So am I. Might depend on how many are eaten, though. I normally just
munch
2 or 3 when preparing them for cooking. Don't know what would happen if I
ate a couple of dozen.

You'd probably get some bits between your teeth.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig