Old 30-09-2008, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New apple?

12 years ago my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted an apple pip.
Having spent several years in a pot, it is now in their garden and
fruited for the first time last year, with even more fruit this year.
My family say that these are the nicest apples they have ever tasted!
I've not had a taste yet.
Can anyone advise me how one goes about having a new apple assessed?

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-09-2008, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
12 years ago my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted an apple pip.
Having spent several years in a pot, it is now in their garden and
fruited for the first time last year, with even more fruit this year.
My family say that these are the nicest apples they have ever tasted!
I've not had a taste yet.
Can anyone advise me how one goes about having a new apple assessed?

Pam in Bristol

Try he

http://www.emr.ac.uk/index.htm

or he

http://www.orangepippin.com/

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:
12 years ago my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted an apple pip.
Having spent several years in a pot, it is now in their garden and
fruited for the first time last year, with even more fruit this year.
My family say that these are the nicest apples they have ever tasted!
I've not had a taste yet.
Can anyone advise me how one goes about having a new apple assessed?

Congratulations but why do you think it is a "new" apple rather than the
same as the apple from which you planted the pip?

--
Chris,
Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter

Old 01-10-2008, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cerumen wrote:
Pam Moore wrote:
12 years ago my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted an apple pip.
Having spent several years in a pot, it is now in their garden and
fruited for the first time last year, with even more fruit this year.
My family say that these are the nicest apples they have ever tasted!
I've not had a taste yet.
Can anyone advise me how one goes about having a new apple assessed?

Congratulations but why do you think it is a "new" apple rather than the
same as the apple from which you planted the pip?

Because it is well known that apples do not come true from seed/pips. The
only way to guarantee the propagation of a known variety is to use
vegetative propagation techniques (usually grafting or budding). The
converse is that any apple grown from seed is a "new variety" - even
though it may show many characteristics similar to its parents.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Cerumen" contains these words:
Pam Moore wrote:

12 years ago my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted an apple pip.
Having spent several years in a pot, it is now in their garden and
fruited for the first time last year, with even more fruit this year.
My family say that these are the nicest apples they have ever tasted!
I've not had a taste yet.
Can anyone advise me how one goes about having a new apple assessed?

Congratulations but why do you think it is a "new" apple rather than the
same as the apple from which you planted the pip?

It's almost certain to be a new variety, though it may well resemble
several others.

Just try googling on - well, for a start, Gregor Mendel.

Then, if you're still interested, in 'genetics'.

Be prepared to be incommunicado¹³² for rather a long time.

¹³²Mr & Mrs Alligator...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-10-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Pam Moore wrote:
[...]

I'd contact the RHS
But have a look at this,

Apple Day Events EEAOP stand with apple identification. Apple juice
from Stamford Juice Company. .... Sunday 12th October 2008 - RHS
Garden Rosemoor, Great Torrington EX38 ...
www.commonground.org.uk/appleday/a-events.html - 118k - Cached -
Similar pages

if you can get to an event you might get it named or get advice.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerumen[_3_] View Post

[/i][/color]
Congratulations but why do you think it is a "new" apple rather than the
same as the apple from which you planted the pip?

Chris,
I would say it is almost certain to be a 'new variety'.

That in its self is not enough to get it registered. It has to be somehow markedly different from any other known variety.

Even if the parent tree the apple came from was self-fertile, and if one flower was pollinated by a flower from the same tree ( self pollination ) there is still only a 25% change that the seedling would be anything like that parent. This is the mechanics of pollination.

Just to further add to the mix, there is also the question of dominance and recessive genes, plus the matter of how the juxtaposition of other genes influence each other.

At the end of the day it comes down to this - If you like the fruit, then enjoy it.

Tim.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:01:55 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

12 years ago my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted an apple pip.
Having spent several years in a pot, it is now in their garden and
fruited for the first time last year, with even more fruit this year.
My family say that these are the nicest apples they have ever tasted!
I've not had a taste yet.
Can anyone advise me how one goes about having a new apple assessed?

Thanks to all for advice. Sadly my granddaughter ate the last one
without saving me even one! I shall have to wait till next year now,
and hope the tree fruits well then. I shall save your links and
advice. I would have loved a trip to Rosemoor or an "apple day" but am
limited because I don't drive.

Pam in Bristol
Old 15-10-2008, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:30:48 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
12 years ago my 3 year old granddaughter and I planted an apple pip.
Having spent several years in a pot, it is now in their garden and
fruited for the first time last year, with even more fruit this year.
My family say that these are the nicest apples they have ever tasted!
I've not had a taste yet.
Can anyone advise me how one goes about having a new apple assessed?

Pam in Bristol

First thing to do is propagate it in case something happens! there have
to be at least 3 plants in existance before you can name them.

Thanks for that useful info Charlie. I must investigate.

Pam in Bristol