GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178905-bulbs.html)

Bystander 30-09-2008 10:29 AM

Bulbs

Good morning all.

Is there a shelf life for bulbs. I have found a bag of mixed bulbs in my
shed, which I placed there a couple of years ago and forgot, should I plant
them now, they seem to be in good condition.

Bryan ( Winchester )

shazzbat 30-09-2008 11:44 AM

Bulbs

"Bystander" wrote in message
Good morning all.

Is there a shelf life for bulbs. I have found a bag of mixed bulbs in my
shed, which I placed there a couple of years ago and forgot, should I
plant them now, they seem to be in good condition.

Bryan ( Winchester )

Yes, they'll be fine if they're reasonably firm. I would discard any which
are soft/slimy, or heavily fungus/mould infested.

Steve

Bystander 30-09-2008 12:38 PM

Bulbs

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Bystander" wrote in message
Good morning all.

Is there a shelf life for bulbs. I have found a bag of mixed bulbs in my
shed, which I placed there a couple of years ago and forgot, should I
plant them now, they seem to be in good condition.

Bryan ( Winchester )

Yes, they'll be fine if they're reasonably firm. I would discard any which
are soft/slimy, or heavily fungus/mould infested.

Steve

Thank you Steve, they all look pretty good, unfortunately rain has stopped
play for today.

Bryan

beccabunga 30-09-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bystander (Post 817694)
Good morning all.

Is there a shelf life for bulbs. I have found a bag of mixed bulbs in my
shed, which I placed there a couple of years ago and forgot, should I plant
them now, they seem to be in good condition.

Bryan ( Winchester )

The only answer [without seeing them] is try it and see what happens.

Roo[_2_] 01-10-2008 02:20 PM

Bulbs

On 30 Sep, 10:29, "Bystander" wrote:
Good morning all.

Is there a shelf life for bulbs. I have found a bag of mixed bulbs in my
shed, which I placed there a couple of years ago and forgot, should I plant
them now, they seem to be in good condition.

Bryan ( Winchester )

Hi Bryan.

May I suggest you plant them in pots, just in case they don't grow ?
That way, you can place the pots on the soil in their final position,
but replace with other plants if nothing appears.

Incidently, I've got into the habit of planting all bulbs now in pots
in Autumn, sometimes not planting them in the soil in their final
positions until I can see the exact shade/height of the bulbs. This
aids good colour combinations, flowering times, etc.

Good luck !

Bystander 01-10-2008 07:10 PM

Bulbs

"Roo" wrote in message
On 30 Sep, 10:29, "Bystander" wrote:
Good morning all.

Is there a shelf life for bulbs. I have found a bag of mixed bulbs in my
shed, which I placed there a couple of years ago and forgot, should I
plant
them now, they seem to be in good condition.

Bryan ( Winchester )

Hi Bryan.

May I suggest you plant them in pots, just in case they don't grow ?
That way, you can place the pots on the soil in their final position,
but replace with other plants if nothing appears.

Incidently, I've got into the habit of planting all bulbs now in pots
in Autumn, sometimes not planting them in the soil in their final
positions until I can see the exact shade/height of the bulbs. This
aids good colour combinations, flowering times, etc.

Good luck !

That makes sense Roo, unfortunately I planted them out yesterday and I don't
really want to disturb them again, so fingers crossed.

Bryan