GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Allotment finds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/178920-allotment-finds.html)

shazzbat 01-10-2008 08:10 AM

Allotment finds

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ugh_allotment/

Steve

mogga 01-10-2008 09:41 AM

Allotment finds

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 08:10:40 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ugh_allotment/

Steve

The police were called to one locally - not in a compost heap. I
assume they get a bit dear to feed after a while.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Pam Moore 01-10-2008 11:40 AM

Allotment finds

wrote:

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ugh_allotment/

The best I have found, when shifting compost recently, was 3 teaspoons
and a knife!

Pam in Bristol

Judith in France 01-10-2008 02:18 PM

Allotment finds

On Oct 1, 8:10 am, "shazzbat"
wrote:
I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...burn_gardener_...

Steve

We were moving a heap of logs yesterday and Edward mentioned to me
that he had seen snakes around the pile and to be careful - I was off
to put rubber boots on as there is no way I was going to have my
ankles bitten - I hate snakes!!!

Judith

Bob Hobden 01-10-2008 06:05 PM

Allotment finds

Steve wrote
I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ugh_allotment/

Best I've found was a large old male Slow Worm (they go silver) that was
obviously what was eating all the snails around.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Rusty Hinge 2 01-10-2008 07:37 PM

Allotment finds

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:
On Oct 1, 8:10 am, "shazzbat"
wrote:

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...burn_gardener_...

Steve

We were moving a heap of logs yesterday and Edward mentioned to me
that he had seen snakes around the pile and to be careful - I was off
to put rubber boots on as there is no way I was going to have my
ankles bitten - I hate snakes!!!

When *I* was an anklebiter I had a pet adder...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

~misfit~ 02-10-2008 12:39 PM

Allotment finds

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Rusty Hinge 2" typed:

wrote:

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...burn_gardener_...

Steve

We were moving a heap of logs yesterday and Edward mentioned to me
that he had seen snakes around the pile and to be careful - I was off
to put rubber boots on as there is no way I was going to have my
ankles bitten - I hate snakes!!!

When *I* was an anklebiter I had a pet adder...

A pet *adder*? Wow! When I was a nipper I had a pet grass snake.....

I remember Dad hammering in tent pegs in South Wales when we were on holiday
and scammpering off on his hands and kness hammering at the ground. We all
laughed until he held up a dead adder. They're venomous no?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~ 02-10-2008 12:40 PM

Allotment finds

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Anne Welsh Jackson" typed:
"shazzbat" wrote:

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ugh_allotment/

That snake looks suspiciously like a constrictor to me.

No way would I wind it round my neck! He must be mad!!

Looks like a Reticulated Python to me. I'm disappointed the article doesn't
say.
--
Shaun.

Sacha[_3_] 02-10-2008 01:43 PM

Allotment finds

On 2/10/08 12:40, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:
snip Looks like a Reticulated Python to me. I'm disappointed the article
doesn't say.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hocked-gardene
r-finds-17ft-python-allotment.html
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

K 02-10-2008 02:00 PM

Allotment finds

~misfit~ writes

A pet *adder*? Wow! When I was a nipper I had a pet grass snake.....

I remember Dad hammering in tent pegs in South Wales when we were on holiday
and scammpering off on his hands and kness hammering at the ground. We all
laughed until he held up a dead adder. They're venomous no?

They are, but they're not aggressive. They'd prefer to run away than to
attack. Shame to kill them.
--
Kay

K 02-10-2008 02:04 PM

Allotment finds

"shazzbat" wrote:

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...urn_gardener_f
inds_17_foot_snake_slithering_through_allotme nt/

That snake looks suspiciously like a constrictor to me.

No way would I wind it round my neck! He must be mad!!

One of my cherished memories is a visit to a small zoo. They were
showing off snakes, got a mall child to come out from the audience and
hold a small python. Then they asked for a volunteer 'mum' so I had my
hand up and was out of my seat before he'd finished speaking. They put
away the small one, and brought out a much bigger one, round my neck and
trailing along the ground for a couple of feet each side of me -
beautiful!
--
Kay

Rusty Hinge 2 02-10-2008 07:42 PM

Allotment finds

The message
from "~misfit~" contains these words:

When *I* was an anklebiter I had a pet adder...

A pet *adder*? Wow! When I was a nipper I had a pet grass snake.....

I remember Dad hammering in tent pegs in South Wales when we were on
holiday
and scammpering off on his hands and kness hammering at the ground. We all
laughed until he held up a dead adder. They're venomous no?

Venomous?

More people die of wasp stings in a year than have died of adder bites
during the whole of last century. (8, IIRC)

Only *VERY* young children or people with a weak heart or an allergy are
at risk.

And now, adders are protected.

When I put my hand in the adder's vivarium it used to come and wind
itself among my fingers. It never tried to bite me. At first, and until
it had got used to the idea that I was the bringer of food and warm
hands, it used to 'strike' at my gloved hand, but with a closed mouth.

I think it only took a week before it gave that up. While I sometimes
took grass snakes to school, I never took the adder...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 02-10-2008 07:43 PM

Allotment finds

The message
from K contains these words:

One of my cherished memories is a visit to a small zoo. They were
showing off snakes, got a mall child to come out from the audience and
hold a small python. Then they asked for a volunteer 'mum' so I had my
hand up and was out of my seat before he'd finished speaking. They put
away the small one, and brought out a much bigger one, round my neck and
trailing along the ground for a couple of feet each side of me -
beautiful

And spine-crushingly heavy, a full-grown python!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Sandy 03-10-2008 05:02 PM

Allotment finds

"shazzbat" wrote:

I hope you'll all check your compost heaps carefully -
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk...ugh_allotment/

That snake looks suspiciously like a constrictor to me.

No way would I wind it round my neck! He must be mad!!

Looks like a Reticulated Python to me. I'm disappointed the article doesn't
say.

Wrong pattern for a Reticulated, it's actually a Burmese Python.

Unfortunately it's not the first time, and no doubt won't be the last,
that one has been found roaming the UK countryside. People often find
they can't cope with such a large snake once it reaches adulthood and
subsequently struggle to rehome them so instead they let them go free.

Fortunately, they're not a particularly aggressive snake although due to
the sheer size of them they can severely injure or kill a person, and
indeed have done, but mostly due to human error and stupidity.

~misfit~ 05-10-2008 09:18 AM

Allotment finds

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Sacha" typed:
On 2/10/08 12:40, in article ,
"~misfit~" wrote:
snip Looks like a Reticulated Python to me. I'm disappointed the
article doesn't say.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hocked-gardene
r-finds-17ft-python-allotment.html

Much better pics, thanks. They even mention that it's a python. :-)
--
Shaun.