Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Registered User

Question Unknown Plants (Do you recognise them?)

Please help.
Many thanks!

UP 1
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP1-1.jpg

UP 2
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP2-1.jpg

UP 3
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP3-1.jpg

UP 4
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP4-1.jpg

UP 5
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP5-1.jpg

UP 6
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP6-1.jpg

UP 7
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP7-1.jpg

UP 8
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP8-01.jpg

UP 9
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...00809UP9-1.jpg

UP 10
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP10-1.jpg

UP 11
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...809UP11-01.jpg

UP 12
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP12-1.jpg

UP 13
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP13-1.jpg

UP 14
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP14-1.jpg

UP 16
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP16-1.jpg

UP 17
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP17-2.jpg

UP 18
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP18-1.jpg

UP 19
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP19-1.jpg

UP 20
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP20-1.jpg

UP 21
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP21-1.jpg

UP 22
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP22-1.jpg

UP 23
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...0809UP23-1.jpg
Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unknown Plants (Do you recognise them?)

"Hibiscus" wrote in message

UP 20
http://tinyurl.com/3q9ssr

From a lurker! I am sure this one is Physalis Franchetii Or Chinese lantern
makes a good dried display

I have grown it in the past I allways thought it grew fairly fast well it
did for my father! but not for me!

Des

Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/08 05:39, in article , "Hibiscus"
wrote:

Please help.
Many thanks!

Can you get a bit of scale into your photos? They're very good, clear
photos of the flowers but a very tight close up means that one doesn't know
if it's an aubretia or a petunia, if you see what I mean!

UP 1
http://tinyurl.com/4fdasj

UP 2
http://tinyurl.com/4y8fq3

Abutilon, Ray suggests?

UP 3
http://tinyurl.com/4tz5v2

I think that's a Cuphea

UP 4
http://tinyurl.com/3r6yos

Similaries to Edgworthia chrysantha though that has flowers hanging down.

UP 5
http://tinyurl.com/4mfotr

Poss Salvia

UP 6
http://tinyurl.com/48atrb

Could be Salvia guaranitica

UP 7
http://tinyurl.com/53kjwa

Poss Clerodendrum ugandense

UP 8
http://tinyurl.com/3fmoaf

UP 9
http://tinyurl.com/4awefe

UP 10
http://tinyurl.com/3trjcv

UP 11
http://tinyurl.com/4p49hu

Hard to tell as no scale for comparison. Sanguisorba? Probably not!

UP 12
http://tinyurl.com/3mp5bn

Check on Oenethera fruticosa

UP 13
http://tinyurl.com/4zysgm

Poss Nicotiana sylvestris

UP 14
http://tinyurl.com/43uxe6

Dianthus barbatus

UP 16
http://tinyurl.com/4w6nj5

UP 17
http://tinyurl.com/3j7erj

Echinacea or Rudbeckia

UP 18
http://tinyurl.com/4eh4wz

Penstemo

UP 19
http://tinyurl.com/4smx2y

Statice

UP 20
http://tinyurl.com/3q9ssr

Physalis franchetii

UP 21
http://tinyurl.com/47enva

UP 22
http://tinyurl.com/52oe39

UP 23
http://tinyurl.com/3hf32h

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldes View Post
"Hibiscus" wrote in message

UP 20
http://tinyurl.com/3q9ssr

From a lurker! I am sure this one is Physalis Franchetii Or Chinese lantern
makes a good dried display

I have grown it in the past I allways thought it grew fairly fast well it
did for my father! but not for me!

Des
Thanks. Is it a type of herb? I got the picture from a herb garden but I couldn't find its sign/label.

Do you know know the rest?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hibiscus" wrote in message

Dieseldes;818111 Wrote:
"Hibiscus" wrote in message
...-

UP 20
http://tinyurl.com/3q9ssr
-
From a lurker! I am sure this one is Physalis Franchetii Or Chinese
lantern
makes a good dried display

I have grown it in the past I allways thought it grew fairly fast
well it
did for my father! but not for me!

Des

Thanks. Is it a type of herb? I got the picture from a herb garden but
I couldn't find its sign/label.

Do you know know the rest?

Thanks!

My father grew them and used them for winter decoration, he used to have to
dig a bit up every year to slow the spread! when I moved I took some, but
they didn't like their new home!!

Inside the 'lantern' is a small orange edible fruit, sharp tasting , some
restaurants use them as an edible 'aside'

Des

Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Thanks Sacha,

UP 11

Here's UP 11a
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...809UP11-02.jpg

Please could you let me know if you need more 'zoom out' photos.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/08 22:36, in article , "Hibiscus"
wrote:

Thanks Sacha,

UP 11

Here's UP 11a
http://tinyurl.com/5xh5eg

Please could you let me know if you need more 'zoom out' photos.

Looks very like Sedum spectabile Neon. HTH.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hibiscus" wrote in message

Please help.
Many thanks!

Hi Hibiscus,

I know some, have guessed some, totally blanked on a few ...
UP 1
http://tinyurl.com/4fdasj
Salvia sp
UP 2
http://tinyurl.com/4y8fq3
Hibiscus/Lavatera/Abutilon
UP 3
http://tinyurl.com/4tz5v2
Cuphea
UP 4
http://tinyurl.com/3r6yos
Lantana or Edgeworthia
UP 5
http://tinyurl.com/4mfotr
Salvia sp
UP 6
http://tinyurl.com/48atrb
Salvia sp.
UP 7
http://tinyurl.com/53kjwa
Caryopteris clandonensis
UP 8
http://tinyurl.com/3fmoaf
?clueless?
UP 9
http://tinyurl.com/4awefe
?Allium??
UP 10
http://tinyurl.com/3trjcv
Coreopsis/helenium/helianthus ... lots of yellow daisies .. need more of
plant
UP 11
http://tinyurl.com/4p49hu
Sedum spectabilis
UP 12
http://tinyurl.com/3mp5bn
Potentilla
UP 13
http://tinyurl.com/4zysgm
?clueless?
UP 14
http://tinyurl.com/43uxe6
Pink (Dianthus sp. prob alpine type)
UP 16
http://tinyurl.com/4w6nj5
Astrantia
UP 17
http://tinyurl.com/3j7erj
Echinacea
UP 18
http://tinyurl.com/4eh4wz
Penstemon
UP 19
http://tinyurl.com/4smx2y
Limonium/Statice
UP 20
http://tinyurl.com/3q9ssr
Chinese Lantern .. Physalis
UP 21
http://tinyurl.com/47enva
?Scaveola??
UP 22
http://tinyurl.com/52oe39
Coreopsis
UP 23
http://tinyurl.com/3hf32h
Gladiolus (Syn. Acidanthera)

That's the best I can do for now. With a better view of the plant (leaves,
stem, form. etc.), I might get closer with some of the vaguer ones.
I'm off into my own garden now ... will look in later. Byeee.

Spider

--
Hibiscus

Old 06-10-2008, 04:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Aren't these lists getting a bit long? Maybe a few good gardening
books should be on your Christmas present list. Oh well since I've
got a fresh cup of coffee on the go:

1) Salvia splendens - could be any one of many hybrids*. 2)
Abutilon hybrid. 3) Cuphea lanceolata 'Firefly'.
4) Lantana camara - could be 'New Gold', 'Lucky Yellow' or any other
yellow since the flowers aren't open.
5) Salvia splendens - see *. 6) Salvia patens. 7) Caryopteris x
clandonensis could be 'Heavenly Blue'.
8) Salvia microphylla or greggii hybrid - need a better shot.
9) Centranthus ruber 'alba'. 10) Coreopsis lanceolata hybrid - need
a much better shot to discern which one.
11) Sedum spectabile. 12) Potentilla - probably fruticosa or one of
its hybrids. 13) Nicotiana sylvestris.
14) Dianthus chinensis 'heddewigii' hybrid. 15) Where d'at go?
16) Astrantia major - possibly 'Temptation'.
17) Echinacia purpurea - one of the 'Butterfly' hybrids. 18)
Penstemon 'Osprey' - although colour looks a bit off.
19) Limonium [Statice] sinuatum[a]. 20) Physalis franchettii.
21) Scaevola aemula. 22) Coreopsis verticillata.
23) Gladiolus callianthus.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Registered User

He he... I will try to be good this year so Santa will give me some gardening books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole View Post

Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Oct, 04:32, Dave Poole wrote:
[...]

I got 18 of them, but not down to variety,
I think that Dave Pool deserves a Prize for such detailed answers, at
least a good bottle of Malt.
Asking for ident of 2 or 3 is fair enough but a list like that is
almost a case of Spam.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 08-10-2008, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:

I got 18 of them, but not down to variety,
I think that Dave Pool deserves a Prize for such detailed answers,
at least a good bottle of Malt.
Asking for ident of 2 or 3 is fair enough but a list like that is
almost a case of Spam.

Or at least a severe case of laziness?

I got about half of them, but didn't feel disposed to answer.
It's not as if this is the first time...

How did we identify plants in the days before computers?

We searched through books - or that's what _I_ did!

Some of us still do! I use both mechanisms, depending ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.