Old 07-10-2008, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beds and borders: annual mulching needed?

We recently re-landscaped our 1/4 acre garden, finishing early September
last year. Beds and borders contain perennials, small shrubs, small
conifers - mixed. Virtually no annuals. Before planting we added new soil,
planted then put on a 2" layer of quality compost after planting late
August 2007. We added slow release fertilizer to all beds this spring.

We currently have enough year old well-rotted leaf mulch to cover about
1/3 of the beds, and we are using where we think it is important this fall.

My question is how often does mulching need to be done? Every year? Can we
get away with doing it every second year for instance?
Also, do these mostly perennial beds need annual hoeing and turning over
every year?

Any suggestions for this gardening newbie is much apprecaited.

Larry Gagnon

--
For direct email remove "fake".
Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
newsp.uimiqjfqaiss39@localhost...
[...]

Certainly you could mulch again now and you've got the perfect medium with
which to do it. Mulch each autumn and again in spring if you've got enough
material to do the job, otherwise mulch where you can. It acts as a blanket
in winter, retaining warmth in the soil and, conversely, keeps the soil cool
after a spring mulch. It also helps to keep weeds down and holds water in,
as well as gradually improving the water retention of the soil. Avoid
mulching right up to the stem or trunk, as this can cause rotting. Two to
three inches is the usual recommendation, but it's hard to over-mulch.

You don't really need to turn the soil every year. In fact, with
all-perennial planting you will find it very difficult. However, you can
hoe very carefully (although you might hoe out wanted self-sown seedlings;
hand weeding is more forgiving) and, if the soil surface seems compacted,
you could prick it over with a fork. Many herbaceous perennials need
lifting and dividing roughly every 3 years to maintain their health and
vigour. This task will give you the opportunity of a more thorough local
dig over prior to replanting. If you need to plant or replant in summer,
this is another good to time to mulch that plant or planting to help keep
the unestablished rootball(s) cool and moist.

Spider

Old 08-10-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Spider writes

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
newsp.uimiqjfqaiss39@localhost...

We currently have enough year old well-rotted leaf mulch to cover about
1/3 of the beds, and we are using where we think it is important this
fall.

You're doing the right thing in not seeking to mulch it all - better to
put a thick layer on part of the area rather than to spread it too
thinly over the whole area.

Certainly you could mulch again now and you've got the perfect medium with
which to do it. Mulch each autumn and again in spring if you've got enough
material to do the job, otherwise mulch where you can. It acts as a blanket
in winter, retaining warmth in the soil and, conversely, keeps the soil cool
after a spring mulch. It also helps to keep weeds down and holds water in,
as well as gradually improving the water retention of the soil. Avoid
mulching right up to the stem or trunk, as this can cause rotting. Two to
three inches is the usual recommendation, but it's hard to over-mulch.

It also makes weeding much easier - the weeds come out far more easily
from the looser soil
--
Kay