GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Interesting research (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179025-interesting-research.html)

Bob Hobden 07-10-2008 05:43 PM

Interesting research

Regards
Bob Hobden

Spider 07-10-2008 06:23 PM

Interesting research

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Regards
Bob Hobden

Mmm. Good news, as far as it goes, but what effect does it have on humans?

I applaud it for decoratives, but I have no inclination to play the guinea
pig where food crops are concerned.

Spider

Paul Luton[_2_] 07-10-2008 10:34 PM

Interesting research

Spider wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Regards
Bob Hobden

Mmm. Good news, as far as it goes, but what effect does it have on humans?

I applaud it for decoratives, but I have no inclination to play the guinea
pig where food crops are concerned.

Spider

First reaction is that there would be homeopathically little jasmoic
acid left in the crop at harvest but I suppose that it must work by
inducing the plant to make their own pesticides. OTOH I remember reading
that someone suggested that eating bruised fruit would be advantageous
because of elevated salicylic acid. Presumably diverting the plant to
make more pesticides is at the expense of growth or they would do it
anyway.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Bob Hobden 07-10-2008 11:36 PM

Interesting research

"Paul Luton" wrote after Spider wrotein reply to:
"Bob Hobden"who posted

Mmm. Good news, as far as it goes, but what effect does it have on
humans?

I applaud it for decoratives, but I have no inclination to play the
guinea pig where food crops are concerned.

First reaction is that there would be homeopathically little jasmoic acid
left in the crop at harvest but I suppose that it must work by inducing
the plant to make their own pesticides. OTOH I remember reading that
someone suggested that eating bruised fruit would be advantageous because
of elevated salicylic acid. Presumably diverting the plant to make more
pesticides is at the expense of growth or they would do it anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmonic_acid gives some info on how it may
work.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Rusty Hinge 2 08-10-2008 06:46 PM

Interesting research

The message
from Paul Luton contains these words:

First reaction is that there would be homeopathically little jasmoic
acid left in the crop at harvest but I suppose that it must work by
inducing the plant to make their own pesticides. OTOH I remember reading
that someone suggested that eating bruised fruit would be advantageous
because of elevated salicylic acid. Presumably diverting the plant to
make more pesticides is at the expense of growth or they would do it
anyway.

Carrots and parsnips do so under the skin, naturally.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig