Old 09-10-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fuchsia question

Hi,

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

thanks in advance.

PA
Old 09-10-2008, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"P. Alves" wrote in message
Hi,

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

thanks in advance.

The roots of your young fuschia will be quite suculent and will not
withstand frost so it is best that you keep it just frostfree until
spring.

A usefull site http://tinyurl.com/4p82s2

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "P. Alves" contains these words:

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

Lady Boothby.

While it was billed as 'hardy', a friend bought six, of which I had one.

All six were killed by the cold, whereas every other fuchsia I had
survived perfectly.

So, wait till spring and even then, keep your fingers crossed next winter...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message

from "P. Alves" contains these words:

A friend just brought me a hardy fuchsia "Lady bothby" a kind of a
climber he said. The plant is still small like 30cm. I want to plant
this fuchsia under a tree where it still gets some sun. Now the
question is: should I plant it now or wait for spring?

Lady Boothby.

While it was billed as 'hardy', a friend bought six, of which I had one.

All six were killed by the cold, whereas every other fuchsia I had
survived perfectly.

So, wait till spring and even then, keep your fingers crossed next
winter...

--
Rusty

They are perfectly hardy. I raised a dozen last year and left them out in
pots and in the ground. What happens is that they lose all their foliage and
you are left with just brown stems. I cut these back half on most of mine
last year and they budded again in the spring. Even those I didn't cut back
were soon shooting again in the warmer weather.

Clive in Kent

Old 11-10-2008, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Clive Holden" contains these words:
[...]

All six died. Expired. Popped their clogs. I've been gardening for
around 65 years and I know a dead plant when I see one.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They are perfectly hardy.

Clive in Kent

Remember these two words........

'IN KENT'

;0)

richardroo in cold n damp Lancashire

Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

My runner beans did the same this year came up as a hugely sturdy plant
but funnily enough the beans were really stringy even on the smaller
pods. Whereas the pods last year were remarkably unstringy...
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, ours died, despite it being very mild all winter - indeed, many of
my runner beans survived and came up again, in much the same position.

Bad batch, perhaps? Such things can happen but especially if plants are
forced and then get planted out.

Maybe, but the batch was liberally spread round South Norfolk, and mine
was planted out in the spring.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-10-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks guys for all the replies.

The location is Portugal (I used to live in Lancaster/UK) but I moved
recently. Weather here is not always as nice as they picture on TV! It
is not frost free, in winter temperatures can get to -5C at night and
morning frost can be quite bad.

I think I will play on the safe side and keep it frost free, take some
cuttings and then take the risk next winter.

Thanks again.

PA

Fuchsia - Fuchsia-firecracker-throwback.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia - Fuchsia-Firecracker.jpg Charles[_1_] Garden Photos 0 03-04-2009 08:40 PM
Fuchsia Question Bill United Kingdom 13 01-05-2004 07:09 PM
Fuchsia Question Robert United Kingdom 2 25-04-2004 11:27 PM
Newbie Fuchsia question Don W Gardening 1 08-05-2003 04:08 AM