Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with identifying a tree from seed and leaf please

Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back whilst
visiting friends.

I have put a photo up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1

It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the pavement, they
have now separated.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 9, 10:01*pm, "Nick" wrote:
Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back whilst
visiting friends.

I have put a photo up athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1

It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the pavement, they
have now separated.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Plane/London Plane/planted all over london
Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick
writes
Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back whilst
visiting friends.

I have put a photo up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1

It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the pavement, they
have now separated.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Plane (Platanus). I've see no reason to suspect that it's anything other
than London Plane (Platanus x hispanica), which is a common street tree
in London.

BTW, you meant fruit, not seed.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 22:01:16 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back whilst
visiting friends.

I have put a photo up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1

It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the pavement, they
have now separated.

Looks like London plane to me.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-10-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 22:01:16 +0100, "Nick" wrote:

Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back
whilst
visiting friends.

I have put a photo up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1

It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the pavement,
they
have now separated.

Looks like London plane to me.

Pam in Bristol

Spot on, many thanks for the very quick responses from you and DH.

Nick.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Nick" contains these words:

Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back
whilst
visiting friends.

I have put a photo up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1

It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the pavement, they
have now separated.

From description, and without looking at the link, I bet it's from a
plane tree...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Des Higgins contains these words:

Plane/London Plane/planted all over london

What did I say?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 10, 12:13 am, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message
from "Nick" contains these words:

Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back
whilst
visiting friends.
I have put a photo up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1
It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the pavement, they
have now separated.

From description, and without looking at the link, I bet it's from a
plane tree...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

good guess!!;
I personally find it really hard to guess plants from the written
descriptions posted here.
Most are of the form:
Not too big and more slender than usual and very green and the leaves
come straight out from the trunk.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message
from "Nick" contains these words:

Hello,
I'm not much of a gardener and just do the donkey stuff for swmbo.
I do hope this is an appropriate group.
She picked up a leaf with attached seeds in NW London a few days back
whilst
visiting friends.
I have put a photo up at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31263451@N07/?saved=1
It looks V much to me like sweet chestnut seed but the leaf does not.
Leaf and twiglet were firmly attached when gathered from the
pavement, they
have now separated.

From description, and without looking at the link, I bet it's from a
plane tree...

good guess!!;

I personally find it really hard to guess plants from the written
descriptions posted here.
Most are of the form:
Not too big and more slender than usual and very green and the leaves
come straight out from the trunk.

The leetle grey cells...

But it was the 'attached to a leaf' and 'NW London' which added-up to a plane.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig