Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default apple tree help

Hi, I have just been out picking some apples from my trees. I
inherited the trees when I moved here a couple of years ago, and the
trees are probably about 5 -10 years old. I need some help with two
things, please. (1) Some of the trees are very leggy, should I prune
right back and 'start again' or tackle just a bit at a time (2) Some
of the trees are leaning someone, some more than 45 degrees. Should I
try and reseat these or simply prune above this and accept an odd
angle for the first foot or so? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
Giles
Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Giles contains these words:

Hi, I have just been out picking some apples from my trees. I
inherited the trees when I moved here a couple of years ago, and the
trees are probably about 5 -10 years old.

Youngsters, then.

I need some help with two
things, please. (1) Some of the trees are very leggy, should I prune
right back and 'start again' or tackle just a bit at a time

Wait until the leaves have dropped, and prune any time from then until
early spring, before the buds start to burst.

Until you know a bit more about pruning (get a book from the library?)
I'd suggest you confine your activities to cutting-out stuff in the
centre, especially if it is touching/chafing on another branch.

(2) Some
of the trees are leaning someone, some more than 45 degrees. Should I
try and reseat these or simply prune above this and accept an odd
angle for the first foot or so?

That depends on a lot of things: how long they've been leaning, the type
of soil, even the type of rootstock.

It won't hurt them to be leaning: I've seen really old apple trees blown
over in gales, their roots exposed on one side, and which have grown and
cropped perfectly in a recumbant position, but, if they are leaning, as
they grow their weight will tend to pull them over more, especially if
the soil nearby gets wet. Also, when the trees have leaves, and the
ground becomes really soft, a high wind could blow them over completely.
You should be able to 'adjust' their deportment' by soaking and
loosening the ground round the roots in the winter and *GENTLY* pulling
them towards the upright, then propping them with two (preferably)
forked poles, and lashing the cruches in place.

Wash soil into any cavities which may be formed.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Rusty. All sounds good stuff. I'll wait a couple of months
before doing anything then will try and prune/straighten.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Giles contains these words:

Thanks Rusty. All sounds good stuff. I'll wait a couple of months
before doing anything then will try and prune/straighten.

Apple stock is usually very forgiving - it really *WANTS* to live.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig