Old 11-10-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bats

They're dashing about all over the place. Isn't this rather later than
usual? We've had warm days and chilly nights for a while now and there have
been lots of mozzies and gnats about. Could it be they're making up for
lost feeding time, due to the cold, wet summer? I may be wrong but I don't
recall seeing them this late in the year before.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

They're dashing about all over the place. Isn't this rather later than
usual? We've had warm days and chilly nights for a while now and there have
been lots of mozzies and gnats about. Could it be they're making up for
lost feeding time, due to the cold, wet summer? I may be wrong but I don't
recall seeing them this late in the year before.

IIRC, some species will wake-up at any warm spell, even in midwinter.

I've often seen pipistrelles at this time of year.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Was working late on Wednesday and as it was getting dark, I watched
them almost skimming the water of a nearby tidal river and flying
relatively slowly just above the reeds. At least some of these were
long-eared bats, but there were faster fliers amongst them that could
have been pipistrelles. Lots of sunshine this week has enabled the
solar lights in the garden to charge fully and they attract moths,
which in turn attract at least a few bats. Can't see what they are
though - I'm only aware of their presence by the almost imperceptible
calls.
Old 13-10-2008, 01:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/08 17:27, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
They're dashing about all over the place. Isn't this rather later than
usual? We've had warm days and chilly nights for a while now and there have
been lots of mozzies and gnats about. Could it be they're making up for
lost feeding time, due to the cold, wet summer? I may be wrong but I don't
recall seeing them this late in the year before.

I've seen both pipistrelles and long-eared bats out around Christmas -
and I must be about 350 miles north of you! It's much more to do with
temperature than time of year. Both of these species will wake up if it
turns a bit mild whereas some other species seem to stay in a deeper
torpor and so don't break their hibernation period.

Ah, that's interesting and thank you to you and all who answered this.
Obviously, my thanks are to all the others who've replied with information.
I couldn't look for bats tonight as we had our Harvest Festival service
followed by Supper here but I should think it was an ideal evening for bats
to be feeding. It's absolutely still, lots of insects are still about and
it's so warm that I wore linen trousers and tunic to church. Despite some
rather gloomy forecasts from those who think they can predict weather months
in advance, we have been having wonderful weather. Yesterday and today had
what I call 'Chinese mornings' here - the mist is so settled on low ground
that higher bits and pieces pop up out of it like those Chinese paintings.
The beauty is indescribable - at least by me - and it makes me realise how
lucky we are to have seasons, however unpredictable. These are golden days.