Old 15-10-2008, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Japanese Knot Weed

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Nick wrote after Broadback wrote in reply to
Bob Hobden wrote:
Why does this make me nervous?

probably visions of Cane Toads in Oz or the Mongoose in Jamaica or
Foxes in
Oz.......
I do hope the research is done properly.

My thoughts exactly Bob. What else does it attack, what will keeps is
under control? So many bad examples litter our history!

Damn few in the UK. Most of our problems have been caused by the
REMOVAL of species, causing a great gap in our ecology. The UK
and Australia are entirely different - almost all of our ecology
is made up of invaders; 500 years ago, very little of theirs was.
Dammit, even humans and dogs have been in Australia MANY times
longer than 99% (?) of 'native' UK species have been in Britain!

Totally agree, but those are examples of disastrous introductions which we
can't afford to emulate.

I can think of a few places here where a large pack of wolves, a few
bears, or maybe a lion pride would have a very sobering effect on the
youf!! :-)

They would probably lead to the 'youf' importing a few more AK47s and less
pistols :-(

Mind you a few Lynx near our allotment site would do for the rabbits
nicely.

Almost the first thing the lynx would do would be to suppress the
competition such as foxes and feral cats, so they wouldn't necessarily have
a net adverse effect on the rabbit population.

Rabbits, wasn't it the Romans that introduced them?

Allegedly, although it is believed the Normans were responsible for
establishing many of the warrens in this country.

Old 15-10-2008, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
BAC wrote:

Mind you a few Lynx near our allotment site would do for the rabbits
nicely.

Almost the first thing the lynx would do would be to suppress the
competition such as foxes and feral cats, so they wouldn't necessarily have
a net adverse effect on the rabbit population.

Feral cats, yes, but that would help the birds considerably. Foxes
are less likely, as they don't rely on rabbits for their food as
much as children's stories make out.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-10-2008, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote after

BAC wrote:

Mind you a few Lynx near our allotment site would do for the rabbits
nicely.

Almost the first thing the lynx would do would be to suppress the
competition such as foxes and feral cats, so they wouldn't necessarily
have
a net adverse effect on the rabbit population.

Feral cats, yes, but that would help the birds considerably. Foxes
are less likely, as they don't rely on rabbits for their food as
much as children's stories make out.

Our problems stem from no cats or foxes on our allotment site so we are
constantly at war with rodents and rabbits.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-10-2008, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Nick wrote after

BAC wrote:

Mind you a few Lynx near our allotment site would do for the rabbits
nicely.

Almost the first thing the lynx would do would be to suppress the
competition such as foxes and feral cats, so they wouldn't necessarily
have
a net adverse effect on the rabbit population.

Feral cats, yes, but that would help the birds considerably. Foxes
are less likely, as they don't rely on rabbits for their food as
much as children's stories make out.

Our problems stem from no cats or foxes on our allotment site so we are
constantly at war with rodents and rabbits.

If you have loads of nice juicy small mammals on your site, it's surprising
it doesn't seem to attract predators.