Old 15-10-2008, 02:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New spiders in UK?

I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
(new website online)

Old 15-10-2008, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Well superficially, that article implies that the tube web spider
might be the one to worry about since it is allegedly quite
aggressive. In reality it has been around in the south at least for a
good century or so and seems to have integrated quite well. There are
several in the dry stone walls around my garden and they haven't been
a problem.

The false widow does give a painful nip, which can become infected or
cause an allergic reaction, but it is hardly dangerous unless you are
particularly sensitive. I've been bitten by one a couple of times and
in comparison to a bee sting it is less painful initially, but more
irritating over a longer period. The bite leaves a pair of tiny scars
that take a year or two to fade.

False widows have been in S. Devon for a number of years and although
by no means common, they do appear to be on the increase. Up to 10
years ago, they were quite rare and only occasionally found around.
In recent years I'm a bit more wary about pushing foliage aside if I'm
wearing short sleeves because there's usually one lurking and a
concerted search can often reveal a few.

Old 15-10-2008, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

The BBC's Web pages have been dumbing themselves down as fast as
they can for some time. They didn't publish a comment of mine on
the matter, when I pointed out some of the actual facts. Admittedly,
I did say that the question "Have you got any other alien plants in
your garden?" showed cluelessness :=)

But, given the competence of this group, few will deny the accuracy
of my statement.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-10-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 01:13:37 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

A friend of mine was bitten on his leg by a spider a few years ago. He
finished up in hospital. The "experts" said it was a common immune
reaction.

Steve

Old 15-10-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

Living, as I do, reasonably close to Heathrow I'm always a bit careful if I
come across any spider I don't recognise, like the totally lime green one
that proceeded to hang down in front of my eyes whilst driving the 90. Not
been able to ID it yet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-10-2008, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/08 10:30, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ...
I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

Living, as I do, reasonably close to Heathrow I'm always a bit careful if I
come across any spider I don't recognise, like the totally lime green one
that proceeded to hang down in front of my eyes whilst driving the 90. Not
been able to ID it yet.

There's something called a Green Lynx spider but no, I haven't Googled for a
pic of it, thanks!

Old 15-10-2008, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/08 08:16, in article
, "Dave
Poole" wrote:

[...]

Oh great - something else to worry about! ;-) I do admit that there are
certain areas of the glasshouses that I won't weed in case something leaps
out at me!

Old 15-10-2008, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

A friend who runs a shop nearby was mooching in the covered area at
the back (loads of stuff stored there and a bit dark) - she was bitten
by a spider and got some serious flu and cold sore type things on her
lips even though at 70 she's never had them before.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 15-10-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 15, 10:30 am, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

Living, as I do, reasonably close to Heathrow I'm always a bit careful if I
come across any spider I don't recognise, like the totally lime green one
that proceeded to hang down in front of my eyes whilst driving the 90. Not
been able to ID it yet.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Araneus cucurbitinus are common in trees and hedges and are bright
green
http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/img2213.htm
They are the size of a small garden (orb web spinning) spider and are
likely to try to absail their way out of trouble if stuck.

Old 15-10-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote...
after"Bob Hobden" wittered on after:
"Sacha" wrote ...

I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which
find rather alarming!

Living, as I do, reasonably close to Heathrow I'm always a bit careful if
come across any spider I don't recognise, like the totally lime green one
that proceeded to hang down in front of my eyes whilst driving the 90.
Not
been able to ID it yet.

Araneus cucurbitinus are common in trees and hedges and are bright
green
http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/photos/img2213.htm
They are the size of a small garden (orb web spinning) spider and are
likely to try to absail their way out of trouble if stuck.

I had seen that one but the one that hung down in front of my eyes was all
the colour of that ones back, it was lime green all over, legs and all. Also
seemed to be longer legged and less chunky.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-10-2008, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 15, 6:22*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

Bob Hobden- Hide quoted text -

ok, how about this one?
They are widespread in Britain.
usually on low vegetation
http://www.oeko-msc.de/Micrommata-virescens.JPG

Old 16-10-2008, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

That looks much more like it, although still a bit chunky, but would it hang
down on a thread?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-10-2008, 02:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I told someone today about Ray being bitten on the lip and that I was
convinced it was a spider what dunnit. He sent me the following which I
find rather alarming!

A friend who runs a shop nearby was mooching in the covered area at
the back (loads of stuff stored there and a bit dark) - she was bitten
by a spider and got some serious flu and cold sore type things on her
lips even though at 70 she's never had them before.

Yes - this is the sort of thing that worried me re my husband. He had a
large swelling which went totally numb - just as if he'd been to the dentist
and had an injection. It was sort of white in the middle but after taking
some Piriton he found that the swelling reduced considerably. He didn't
feel ill, the bite didn't itch. But it shocked and surprised us all at the
speed of his mouth's reaction and a mouth is worryingly close to an
oesophagus, in my view. After the swelling reduced I looked at the inside
of his lip and there is no question that there were two bites, two marks
there, not one 'injection' from e.g. A mosquito. OTOH, one of my children
was bitten on the lip by a mozzie a week or two ago and ended up with a
troutpout you would not believe. I've seen the photo. The bottom lip was 5
times the normal size. Something strange is going on with this stuff. I
and my children tend to react a lot to mosquito bites but this as beyond all
experience.

Old 16-10-2008, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 15, 11:06 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
[...]

very likely given where it lives (have to guess here but: the only
ones that maybe will not hang by a thread are strictly ground dwelling
ones like wolf spiders). Forgot top give the name
Micrommata virescens
there are tons and tons of pics and web pages

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-10-2008, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 01:05:42 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It is a bit scary - we do need a seriously cold winter I think just to
wipe them out.

Spiders Tom Kirkpatrick Lawns 2 28-03-2003 05:44 AM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 11:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 06:49 PM
[IBC] **** [IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 2 31-01-2003 05:43 PM
Gardening & Spiders subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 14 15-11-2002 10:59 PM