Old 19-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Registered User

Smile Wedding in May

Hi Guys

You are officially my 1st ever forum!

I am getting married on May 9th next year (in the UK) and was hoping to be able to do a lot of the flowers myself. Not necc cut flowers but potentially planting some bulbs in the field and then lots of pots.

Someone has mentioned Bluebells but I am wondering if you can recommend anything else?

I know I am going to have to move fast as I prob need to plant about now.

Thanks for your help

Julia
Old 19-10-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wedding in May

--
Jules123

In addition to potting plants, the hawthorns are generally in full bloom
around that time important in Celtic Weddings and a deal of other religons
too http://www.englishplants.co.uk/hawthorn.html it can flower later in
upland or cooler locations. other possibilities at
http://www.freshroses.com/may.html
Derek

Old 19-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules123 View Post
Hi Guys

You are officially my 1st ever forum!

I am getting married on May 9th next year (in the UK) and was hoping to be able to do a lot of the flowers myself. Not necc cut flowers but potentially planting some bulbs in the field and then lots of pots.

Someone has mentioned Bluebells but I am wondering if you can recommend anything else?

I know I am going to have to move fast as I prob need to plant about now.

Thanks for your help

Julia
Firstly a warning - anything planted for an occasion can get nasty and not flower in time. Has happened to me! So if you are planning on this, be prepared for a lot of Chelsea-like in and out of controlled conditions.

Tulips are a good bet, and you can plant them any time up to December.#
Hyacinths might be safer than bluebells - there are newer forms that are not as solid as the traditional ones
Late flowering narcissi - Pheasant's Eye, for instance.
Camassia - blue or white spikes
Scilla siberica

Old 19-10-2008, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Derek" contains these words:

In addition to potting plants, the hawthorns are generally in full bloom
around that time important in Celtic Weddings and a deal of other religons
too http://www.englishplants.co.uk/hawthorn.html it can flower later in
upland or cooler locations. other possibilities at
http://www.freshroses.com/may.html

It's bad luck bringing may (hawthorn) indoors - besides, it smells od
carrion...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-10-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/10/08 20:12, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message
from "Derek" contains these words:

In addition to potting plants, the hawthorns are generally in full bloom
around that time important in Celtic Weddings and a deal of other religons
too
http://www.englishplants.co.uk/hawthorn.html it can flower later in
upland or cooler locations. other possibilities at
http://www.freshroses.com/may.html

It's bad luck bringing may (hawthorn) indoors - besides, it smells od
carrion...

Well, if you're that superstitious, it's bad luck to marry in May! OTOH,
she has chosen 9th May, Jersey's Liberation Day. ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com