Old 20-10-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I keep them alive?

Having lurked in the group for a (short) time, I feel certain that I can
elicit some advice on a problem I (or rather some shrubs) seem to be
having in my garden.

Living in the Blackmore Vale area of Dorset - a few miles south of
Sherborne - the soil tends to be pretty heavy clay. We have dug in lots
of grit, gravel and composted material and generally things do pretty
well. Being on a hill we tend to be rather exposed to the prevailing
winds ... it's gusting strongly today. Garden faces WOW and contains
some mature trees, stone walls and hedges which provide an element of
windbreak.

So much for the back ground. My question relates to the following shrubs
which were chosen for the acceptance of the soil type.

Robinia Pseudoacacia .... about 6 years old - grew well at first now 8
ft high but it seems to be about to return to its maker.

Ginko Biloba ... like the Robinia it did well for a couple of years but
now seems very unhappy. It is c. 4 ft (being planted 3 years ago as a 2
ft specimen). It's planted in a sunny location with some mature birches
to the North.

Cotinus (purple) .... has remained about 3 ft - disappointing
performance with minimal foliage.

This year has been very noticeable for the almost sudden decline of the
first two while the Cotinus just stays stolidly in place producing some
foliage and gathering lichen.

It may be relevant to mention that I gave the entire garden a heavy
mulch of well rotted cow manure last autumn. Senior Management has
pointed out to me that she has lost a number of her favourite perennials
and places the blame squarely on me for my autumnal action in 2007.

Any suggestions or advice on action would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old 20-10-2008, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Tom Withycombe contains these words:

It may be relevant to mention that I gave the entire garden a heavy
mulch of well rotted cow manure last autumn. Senior Management has
pointed out to me that she has lost a number of her favourite perennials
and places the blame squarely on me for my autumnal action in 2007.

I wonder whether it might be due to that broad-leaved weed killer
discussed recently?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...son.4209491.jp

Is the '.jp' on the end right, Sacha?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-10-2008, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/10/08 15:20, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...-poison.420949
1.jp

Is the '.jp' on the end right, Sacha?

Yes, it's correct. And I'm very much afraid it could be the problem. Tom
might be one of the few people who will welcome this wet summer and an even
wetter winter. ;-( It's of very little comfort to him but if this is the
cause, Tom is far from being the only sufferer.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 20-10-2008, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Withycombe" wrote in message
[...]

Cow manure is strong stuff, some say the best, so perhaps it may have some
guilt attached.

However, my understanding is that both the Robinia and the Ginko like a very
deep soil, so are you clay over rock by any chance?
We are clay/silt over Thames sand/gravel and both those do well around here
because their roots can continue to go deeper without restriction. The water
table is not that far down either.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden