GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jacaranda (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179410-jacaranda.html)

bobharvey 25-10-2008 09:14 PM

Jacaranda

I've just been driven through Johannesburg under road-bridging arches
of Jacaranda in blossom. Such a stunning colour and what a display!

Could I plant one in Lincolnshire, do you think? How would it do?

Bob H

[email protected] 25-10-2008 09:24 PM

Jacaranda

In article ,
bobharvey wrote:

I've just been driven through Johannesburg under road-bridging arches
of Jacaranda in blossom. Such a stunning colour and what a display!

Could I plant one in Lincolnshire, do you think? How would it do?

Oh, yes, no problem. You just need to dig a hole and put it in.
It won't survive the winter, of course.

Sorry. Not a hope. I am attempting to grow one for in the
conservatory (it's outside in the summer), but the experts say
that it won't flower until quite large.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_3_] 26-10-2008 12:53 AM

Jacaranda

On 25/10/08 21:14, in article
,
"bobharvey" wrote:

I've just been driven through Johannesburg under road-bridging arches
of Jacaranda in blossom. Such a stunning colour and what a display!

Could I plant one in Lincolnshire, do you think? How would it do?

Bob H

Very badly! I wish I could tell you otherwise because they are, indeed,
stunning trees.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Saxman 26-10-2008 01:16 AM

Jacaranda

bobharvey wrote:
I've just been driven through Johannesburg under road-bridging arches
of in blossom. Such a stunning colour and what a display!

I went to JoBurg many years ago in November. I recall reading about the
Jacaranda and indeed I saw!. It's a tree that has fond memories. Why
can't we grow it here?

[email protected] 26-10-2008 07:59 AM

Jacaranda

In article ,
Saxman wrote:
bobharvey wrote:
I've just been driven through Johannesburg under road-bridging arches
of in blossom. Such a stunning colour and what a display!

I went to JoBurg many years ago in November. I recall reading about the
Jacaranda and indeed I saw!. It's a tree that has fond memories. Why
can't we grow it here?

Because the penny-pinching government turned down the proposal to
attach the British Navy to the British Isles, and tow the latter
30 degrees further south.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Saxman 26-10-2008 10:33 AM

Jacaranda

wrote:

Because the penny-pinching government turned down the proposal to
attach the British Navy to the British Isles, and tow the latter
30 degrees further south.

That would be a good idea.

Rusty Hinge 2 26-10-2008 11:25 AM

Jacaranda

The message
from bobharvey contains these words:

I've just been driven through Johannesburg under road-bridging arches
of Jacaranda in blossom. Such a stunning colour and what a display!

Could I plant one in Lincolnshire, do you think? How would it do?

You could certainly *PLANT* one...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty Hinge 2 26-10-2008 11:26 AM

Jacaranda

The message
from contains these words:
In article ,
Saxman wrote:
bobharvey wrote:

I've just been driven through Johannesburg under road-bridging arches
of in blossom. Such a stunning colour and what a display!

I went to JoBurg many years ago in November. I recall reading about the
Jacaranda and indeed I saw!. It's a tree that has fond memories. Why
can't we grow it here?

Because the penny-pinching government turned down the proposal to
attach the British Navy to the British Isles, and tow the latter
30 degrees further south.

They had two destroyers with steam up, but HM Govt. wouldn't release
funds for such a long cheesewire.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig