GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hunzas again (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179461-hunzas-again.html)

Rusty_Hinge 27-10-2008 07:50 PM

Hunzas again

Unforget the Hunza thread?

At the time, I planted lots of hunza stones, no freezing beforehand.

Of around 60 planted, eight are showing, several at about half an inch.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Pam Moore 27-10-2008 11:47 PM

Hunzas again

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:50:39 -0000, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Unforget the Hunza thread?

At the time, I planted lots of hunza stones, no freezing beforehand.

Of around 60 planted, eight are showing, several at about half an inch.

Did you plant them in pots?
In greenhouse or outside?
I froze one lot and not the other but they are in pots outside in the
cold. I will look tomorrow but don't think there's any growth showing
yet. I wasn't expecting anything till Spring. I don't have a
greenhouse.
Good luck with your Hunza plantation!

Pam in Bristol

Tom Withycombe[_2_] 28-10-2008 08:52 AM

Hunzas again

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

Unforget the Hunza thread?

At the time, I planted lots of hunza stones, no freezing beforehand.

Of around 60 planted, eight are showing, several at about half an inch.

Did you plant them in pots?
In greenhouse or outside?
I froze one lot and not the other but they are in pots outside in the
cold. I will look tomorrow but don't think there's any growth showing
yet. I wasn't expecting anything till Spring. I don't have a
greenhouse.
Good luck with your Hunza plantation!

Pam in Bristol

As a relative newcomer to this group please enlighten me. What is a
hunza ... some kind of fruit? Or have I asked the "stupid boy" question
:-))
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset

[email protected] 28-10-2008 09:04 AM

Hunzas again

In article ,
Tom Withycombe wrote:

As a relative newcomer to this group please enlighten me. What is a
hunza ... some kind of fruit? Or have I asked the "stupid boy" question
:-))

A kind of apricot, originating in the Hunza area of Afghanistan.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty_Hinge 28-10-2008 01:21 PM

Hunzas again

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
wrote:

Unforget the Hunza thread?

At the time, I planted lots of hunza stones, no freezing beforehand.

Of around 60 planted, eight are showing, several at about half an inch.

Did you plant them in pots?

Plug-tray.

In greenhouse or outside?

Outside

I froze one lot and not the other but they are in pots outside in the
cold. I will look tomorrow but don't think there's any growth showing
yet. I wasn't expecting anything till Spring. I don't have a
greenhouse.

You shouldn't need a greenhouse. I just left the last lot outside in a
an ordinary seed tray, and most germinated. Unfortunately, I went away
for a few days in hot dry weather, and only one survived. This is now
about seven feet in height, underplanted with cranberries and occupying
a big planter..

Good luck with your Hunza plantation!

Well, hedge. But thanks.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty_Hinge 28-10-2008 01:26 PM

Hunzas again

The message
from contains these words:
In article ,
Tom Withycombe wrote:

As a relative newcomer to this group please enlighten me. What is a
hunza ... some kind of fruit? Or have I asked the "stupid boy" question
:-))

A kind of apricot, originating in the Hunza area of Afghanistan.

Which you can buy in health food and 'nuts-and-raisin' outlets. They dry
on the bushes and are picked and sold dessicated. They're a lot smaller
than cultivated apricots, and you can either eat them dry, or rehydrate
them.

I made a batch of jam from them once - split them and peeled the flesh
off the stones (recommended, as the fruit sometimes has evidence of
having had 'visitors' while on the bush), then cracked the stones and
bunged the kernels in.

No, it wasn't delicious, but it was bearable.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Pam Moore 28-10-2008 02:44 PM

Hunzas again

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:26:20 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from contains these words:
In article ,
Tom Withycombe wrote:

As a relative newcomer to this group please enlighten me. What is a
hunza ... some kind of fruit? Or have I asked the "stupid boy" question
:-))

A kind of apricot, originating in the Hunza area of Afghanistan.

Which you can buy in health food and 'nuts-and-raisin' outlets. They dry
on the bushes and are picked and sold dessicated. They're a lot smaller
than cultivated apricots, and you can either eat them dry, or rehydrate
them.

I don't know how you can enjoy eating them dry. Like old boots or
worse and not good for the teeth. They are just delicious once
soaked.
I made a batch of jam from them once - split them and peeled the flesh
off the stones (recommended, as the fruit sometimes has evidence of
having had 'visitors' while on the bush), then cracked the stones and
bunged the kernels in.
No, it wasn't delicious, but it was bearable.

I have also noticed that sometimes they show evidence of "visitors"!
What the heck; I ate them!

Pam in Bristol