Old 29-10-2008, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New purple GM tomato

Yesterday a newly developed purple tomato hit the news. It has been
genetically modified with cells from antirrhinum, and has been shown
to be effective against cancer in mice.

I mentioned it to a friend in Australia and she sent me the following
web site.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ironbarkbob/seed/

The bit I noticed was the "Photo comp" item at the top left. Who was
it posted the freaky tomato? It might be worth sending in!
It also says "seed posted world wide" and "free postage".

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-10-2008, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Yesterday a newly developed purple tomato hit the news. It has been
genetically modified with cells from antirrhinum, and has been shown
to be effective against cancer in mice.

I mentioned it to a friend in Australia and she sent me the following
web site.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ironbarkbob/seed/

The bit I noticed was the "Photo comp" item at the top left. Who was
it posted the freaky tomato? It might be worth sending in!
It also says "seed posted world wide" and "free postage".

Pam in Bristol

I saw the news item and to me it looked just like one I grew this year
and last called 'Black Russian' not a good cropper but very tasty :~)
(I notice they did not try eating any - they must have been very sure it
was safe to eat!!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 29-10-2008, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 29, 3:30 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
Yesterday a newly developed purple tomato hit the news. It has been
genetically modified with cells from antirrhinum, and has been shown
to be effective against cancer in mice.

I mentioned it to a friend in Australia and she sent me the following
web site.http://home.iprimus.com.au/ironbarkbob/seed/

The bit I noticed was the "Photo comp" item at the top left. Who was
it posted the freaky tomato? It might be worth sending in!
It also says "seed posted world wide" and "free postage".

Pam in Bristol

It was the JI who dunnit! Edward has friends who work there, it is a
big breakthrough, although it is still early days for human trials.

Judith
Old 29-10-2008, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
I saw the news item and to me it looked just like one I grew this year
and last called 'Black Russian' not a good cropper but very tasty :~)
(I notice they did not try eating any - they must have been very sure it
was safe to eat!!)

Did you grow it outside or under glass?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-10-2008, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/10/08 17:39, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Oct 29, 3:30 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
Yesterday a newly developed purple tomato hit the news. It has been
genetically modified with cells from antirrhinum, and has been shown
to be effective against cancer in mice.

I mentioned it to a friend in Australia and she sent me the following
web site.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ironbarkbob/seed/

The bit I noticed was the "Photo comp" item at the top left. Who was
it posted the freaky tomato? It might be worth sending in!
It also says "seed posted world wide" and "free postage".

Pam in Bristol

It was the JI who dunnit! Edward has friends who work there, it is a
big breakthrough, although it is still early days for human trials.

Judith

It doesn't look terribly attractive, does it? I think we have strongly
implanted notions of what colour food should be and it's quite hard to get
past those expectations. Mind you, if it really does what it says on the
tin, I think many people will be more than happy to eat it.

We sent them our Passiflora John Innes for their collection and to research
it. To our delight they've confirmed it really is that Passiflora. David
Poole and Ray have always said so because Ray knew who had given to him and
he'd worked in the temperate house at Kew after being at the JI and David
recognised it as being impossible to mistake! But other 'experts' said it
wasn't the real thing which according to them, had been 'lost' for years, so
sucks to them!! It's been happily living here all the time! ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-10-2008, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

The bit I noticed was the "Photo comp" item at the top left. Who was
it posted the freaky tomato? It might be worth sending in!
It also says "seed posted world wide" and "free postage".

I did, but I didn't take a pornograph of it.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-10-2008, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Charlie Pridham" wrote
I saw the news item and to me it looked just like one I grew this year
and last called 'Black Russian' not a good cropper but very tasty :~)
(I notice they did not try eating any - they must have been very sure
it
was safe to eat!!)

Did you grow it outside or under glass?

in our little 8x6 greenhouse with the doors open

Must admit to having looked at that variety for some while but never done
anything about it, think I'll try a few out on the allotment next year and
see what happens.
Most Tomatoes seem to have little taste just sweetness these days, probably
me getting old.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-10-2008, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

Yesterday a newly developed purple tomato hit the news. It has been
genetically modified with cells from antirrhinum, and has been shown
to be effective against cancer in mice.

I have another, somewhat cynical, take on this:
The purveyors of Genetically Modified plants are anxious to get the
technology into widespread use, so they produce "neutraceutical" materials
to sell the process. "Golden Rice" with a gene that made carotene was
roundly rejected by the Asian world, despite an intensive ad campaign.
So far, the main use of GM seems to be having an identifiable fingerprint
in your patented seed to prove theft if some evil farmer saves his own
seed. You may be familiar with Monsanto's actions against a Canadian
Canola farmer.
I'm not a big fan of huge seed companies controlling large parts of the
world's food supply. And there are lots of open pollinated tomato
varieties with a wide range of colors and flavors.

(This was just a mini-rant; re-lurking now).

Old 31-10-2008, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bob Hobden" typed:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Charlie Pridham" wrote
I saw the news item and to me it looked just like one I grew this
year and last called 'Black Russian' not a good cropper but very
tasty :~) (I notice they did not try eating any - they must have
been very sure it
was safe to eat!!)

Did you grow it outside or under glass?

in our little 8x6 greenhouse with the doors open

Must admit to having looked at that variety for some while but never
done anything about it, think I'll try a few out on the allotment
next year and see what happens.
Most Tomatoes seem to have little taste just sweetness these days,
probably me getting old.

I'm in New Zealand but have some young "Black Russin", "Purple Russian" or
"Black Plum" plants in and just flowering. They're actually from Ukraine (I
call them Ukrainian Plum but have a question in with a friend who's retired
gardening parents hail from Ukraine as to whether it has a local name) and
made it to the US in 1981, then spread from there. In those days the whole
of the Eastern Block was "Russia" to the average US citizen so "Russian"
they were called. They're supposed to be quite temperature and disease
tolerant.

Although the climate here is different onviously I'll report back about
flavour later in the season. Also I'm going to attempt a late crop this year
and a very early one next year. I'm hoping this variety might extend my
growing season. (I'm experimenting with a couple others too but this is my
sentimental favourite cultivar.) My main summer crop looks like it'll be San
Marzano.

If you want a variety that crops in cold weather there's one that was
supposedly developed by US people at a US government base in Greenland
that's called "Sub-arctic" that's supposed to do well in a cold, short
season. I actually have some seed of it (internet 'heirloom' seed supplier)
and will try a mid-winter crop here.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old 31-10-2008, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~misfit~" wrote
[...]

Any idea on the flavour of a tomato is welcome, I find the ones we grow
aren't that flavoured these days.

My main summer crop looks like it'll be San
Marzano.

Not tried that outside, used to grow Roma but lately the Blight gets them
too early.

If you want a variety that crops in cold weather there's one that was
supposedly developed by US people at a US government base in Greenland
that's called "Sub-arctic" that's supposed to do well in a cold, short
season. I actually have some seed of it (internet 'heirloom' seed
supplier) and will try a mid-winter crop here.

Wonder what that tastes like, most things that crop under stress taste
better.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-11-2008, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:30:40 +0000, Pam Moore wrote:

Yesterday a newly developed purple tomato hit the news. It has been
genetically modified with cells from antirrhinum, and has been shown to
be effective against cancer in mice.

I mentioned it to a friend in Australia and she sent me the following
web site.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ironbarkbob/seed/

The bit I noticed was the "Photo comp" item at the top left. Who was
it posted the freaky tomato? It might be worth sending in! It also says
"seed posted world wide" and "free postage".

Pam in Bristol

I grew some black cherry tomatoes outdoors this year - I don't know the
variety because I bought them from a charity stall.

In general, very disappointing.

Slow to crop, boring lack of flavour, very prone to splitting.

Of the mixed bunch, a yellow cherry tomato was by far the best - sweet
with a hint of sharpness, good cropper, did well outdoors.

Again I don't know the variety but I have grown yellow cheer and cherry
(plum shaped) tomatoes outdoors before and find them much better than the
red variety.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 01-11-2008, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David Roberts contains these words:

I grew some black cherry tomatoes outdoors this year - I don't know the
variety because I bought them from a charity stall.

MTAAAW, but mine were from a reputable source. (Black Cherry)

In general, very disappointing.

Ditto. Just a darker shade of red - almost grey.

Slow to crop, boring lack of flavour, very prone to splitting.

Cropped OK, fast enough, strange flavour, no splitting - but then, I
kept the compost at a fairly even dampness through the whole season.

Of the mixed bunch, a yellow cherry tomato was by far the best - sweet
with a hint of sharpness, good cropper, did well outdoors.

Shirley was my best. San Marzano had more flavour (bought as a plant
labelled as Tumbling Tom...) but less crop. Tumbling Tom OK but not
spectacular.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-11-2008, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
(Charlie Pridham) wrote:

'Black Russian' not a good cropper but very tasty

That's what I find too.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

purple tomato Ohioguy Edible Gardening 0 08-03-2011 02:13 AM
Tomato leaves are purple and crispy Suzanne D.[_2_] Edible Gardening 1 11-04-2010 07:23 AM
Truly purple tomato on its way? Mary Fisher United Kingdom 1 26-10-2006 09:45 PM
CHerokee Purple Tomato-Twisted many many lobed fruit with odd scars DigitalVinyl Gardening 4 02-08-2005 02:22 PM
Source for Cherokee Purple Tomato Seedlings? JMatt Gardening 2 21-04-2004 03:02 AM