Old 31-10-2008, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Default engine running fast...Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol

(Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol )

Following on from my previous post regarding flywheel removal and and
rebuild. I am pleased to say everything is back together and it starts,
however it seems to run much faster than it previously did, I don`t think
there is much room for adjustments to the carburetor so thinking maybe there
is something I haven`t put back together properly the only parts that I
might have got wrong are the 2 springs that are attached to the carb which I
think are something to do with it.
Anyone got any ideas or how these 2 springs should be located, or if
anything else could be causing this.

Any help appreciated.
thanks

Old 31-10-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S" wrote:

only parts that I
might have got wrong are the 2 springs that are attached to the carb which I
think are something to do with it.

This will be kind of generic: The usual scheme is that the throttle
control cable connects to some sort of governor, which then connects via
springs to the carb. So when you open the "throttle," you're really
telling the governor what speed you want, and the governor controls the
throttle plate in the carb. Governor adjustment generally involves
loosening a set screw/clamp and adjusting the position of a plate on the
governor shaft that sticks out of the engine. The spring adjustment usually
minimizes "hunting" or speed surging. You well might be able to find a
diagram on line of how things connect.

Old 31-10-2008, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , S
wrote
(Briggs and stratton 35 classic petrol )

Following on from my previous post regarding flywheel removal and and
rebuild. I am pleased to say everything is back together and it starts,
however it seems to run much faster than it previously did, I don`t think
there is much room for adjustments to the carburetor so thinking maybe there
is something I haven`t put back together properly the only parts that I
might have got wrong are the 2 springs that are attached to the carb which I
think are something to do with it.
Anyone got any ideas or how these 2 springs should be located, or if
anything else could be causing this.

Any help appreciated.
thanks

Does this help?
http://www.amac.f2s.com/spring/index.htm
it's a slightly ***** spring but I believe it's in the correct place
(lawnmower scrapped as there is more rust than metal).

make sure that the triangular bit that the wire link fits into moves
freely and its easy to get it the wrong side of the end stop lug (which
should be in the middle

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 31-10-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , S
wrote
[...]

Thanks Alan, that answers 50% of my question as there is another spring, the
one you have pictured looks correct as per mine but the other spring
connects as follows.
On your picture on the spring that is ******** at the end of the ******
coiled end , just above it there is a metal triangular part, the other
spring I am sure connects to that but the other end connects where? I might
be wrong but I can just make out the end of the other spring in your picture
on that triangular part.

Old 31-10-2008, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , S
wrote

Thanks Alan, that answers 50% of my question as there is another spring, the
one you have pictured looks correct as per mine but the other spring
connects as follows.
On your picture on the spring that is ******** at the end of the ******
coiled end , just above it there is a metal triangular part, the other
spring I am sure connects to that but the other end connects where? I might
be wrong but I can just make out the end of the other spring in your picture
on that triangular part.

More pictures on the same link including one where the other spring (or
more correctly thick link wire) is removed at one end.
http://www.amac.f2s.com/spring/index.htm

If the wire link is fitted the wrong way around then the adjustment can
stick in the 'fast' position. Been there and got the T-shirt

The are no other springs on my carb but that doesn't mean that B&S don't
have more than one arrangement.

Old 31-10-2008, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

Aha! I think this is where I might have got it wrong, picture link below of
mine.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29clzwi&s=4

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , S
wrote

Old 31-10-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , S
wrote
Aha! I think this is where I might have got it wrong, picture link below of
mine.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29clzwi&s=4

My guess is that spring 2 lives somewhere else

Old 31-10-2008, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

I agree Alan, this is the original picture taken as I was dismantling and
before the springs were removed, however the picture is not too clear as to
the exact location as to where the ends are located.
It is roughly all in the same area though.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15pg0fr&s=4

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , S
wrote

Old 31-10-2008, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:33:27 -0000, S wrote:

Anyone got any ideas or how these 2 springs should be located, or if
anything else could be causing this.

I'd go for the springs being wrong somehow. I'd go out and photograph mine
but it's dark, it's cold, and I think I'd have to take a cover off to see
the springs... I also have a sneaky suspicion there might be three springs
but one could be linkage to the paddle blown by the engine fan that opens
the throttle if the revs drop.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 31-10-2008, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:57:56 +0000, Alan wrote:

My guess is that spring 2 lives somewhere else

Yes it doesn't "look right" just hooked on the the end of the lever from
the fan paddle. If there was notch for it to it in it would be different
but there is nothing to stop it wandering about.

Begger it I've been out. The left hand end of spring 2 should be in the
loop of the linkage along with the left hand end of spring 1. My spring 2
has long closed loops at each end and is very sloppy without the engine
running.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 31-10-2008, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

having messed about with it a bit more I am still at a loss as to how to
locate the springs, however if I start it up and the engine racing if I
manually push the lever that is linked to the regulator (paddle)
then the revs drop so somehow the springs manage the settings, but damned if
I know how.
Going by the photographs i took while dismantling as far as I am aware there
are 2 springs and a linkage to the paddle. going by your and my photographs
the larger spring does locate on the `paddle` and I have one anchor point
for the other spring, the other end of this spring I have anchored at the
same point as the other ie on to the linkage part for the paddle, this seems
the only logical place for it but it does not make sense to me. I am sure it
should be anchored else where but there does not seem to be an obvious
(other) anchor point.

Like you its now to B....y cold to continue, tomorrow will be soon enough.

regards

ll.net...

Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S" wrote:

having messed about with it a bit more I am still at a loss as to how to
locate the springs...

I have a B&S engine with two springs, one of which is much finer than
the other. The heavier spring is the linkage between the throttle cable
and the choke/main valve, the finer spring doubles up the linkage
between the crankcase governor and the butterfly valve which it
controls. Its ends just hook into the same holes as the wire link
itself. Because there is a good deal of looseness in the wire linkage,
the fine spring can act as a damper so that the governing action isn't
jerky --just like Gary said!

HTH

brian mitchell
Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
S S is offline

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
"S" wrote:

having messed about with it a bit more I am still at a loss as to how to
locate the springs...

I have a B&S engine with two springs, one of which is much finer than
the other. The heavier spring is the linkage between the throttle cable
and the choke/main valve, the finer spring doubles up the linkage
between the crankcase governor and the butterfly valve which it
controls. Its ends just hook into the same holes as the wire link
itself. Because there is a good deal of looseness in the wire linkage,
the fine spring can act as a damper so that the governing action isn't
jerky --just like Gary said!

HTH

brian mitchell

I now have the springs correctly located but engine still running fast.
Going to take the cover off and have a look at the complete assembly,
everything appears to be free and not sticking so the only thing I can think
of is the fan blades on the flywheel are not producing enough` blow` to push
the governor which is unlikely or the spring on the linkage is to `tense`
and therefore not allowing the governor to be blown back and operating the
carb valve.
I might try and put the likage on the other way round as this should reduce
the tension on the spring, worth a try anyway.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S" wrote:

[...]

Just a speculative thought: on my engine the visible part of the
governor consists of a shaft emerging from the crankcase with a lever
clamped onto it. The wire link, with spring wound round it, goes from
the end of the lever to the butterfly valve on the carb. I imagine the
angle of that lever to its shaft is pretty critical so if it got
disturbed it while dismantling/re-assembling, that could affect the
speed setting. Is there any part of the governor mechanism inside the
crankcase that might have become misaligned?