Old 10-11-2008, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pansy assassin

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:35:15 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Ah. Copper wire you say. Maybe I'll try a length of 2.5mm cable round
the base of the trough,

Er....you will strip the insulation, won't you? :-)

Essex girl

Strip?

/Essex girl

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:40:53 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Can anyone suggest what may be attacking my pansies? They're in troughs
on a window sill and, one by one, something seems to be lopping the tops
off very cleanly at ground level. No soil or root disturbance, and no
damage to flowers or foliage.

Any advice welcome

Slugs.

hint They prefer slug pellets to pansies. /hint

Isn't there some botrytis-type disease which attacks pansies, making
them keel over and die? It might be that. If it is, no cure AFAIK.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 10, 10:59 pm, Martin wrote:

wrote:

The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Can anyone suggest what may be attacking my pansies? They're in troughs
on a window sill and, one by one, something seems to be lopping the tops
off very cleanly at ground level. No soil or root disturbance, and no
damage to flowers or foliage.

Any advice welcome

Slugs.

hint They prefer slug pellets to pansies. /hint

Isn't there some botrytis-type disease which attacks pansies, making
them keel over and die? It might be that. If it is, no cure AFAIK.

Until recently we had a tortoise that gorged on pansies.
--

Martin

What happened to him Martin and how old is/was he?

Judith
Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:19:08 +0000, Judith in France wrote
(in article
):

On Nov 10, 1:19 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Ah. Copper wire you say. Maybe I'll try a length of 2.5mm cable round
the base of the trough, or would it be better round the top edge?
I'd better locate the slugs too. Wouldn't want to be trapping them
inside the troughs :-)

They'll be in the soil of the trough.

That's why I suggested hint slug pellets /hint.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I tried organic methods, once, of getting rid keeping slugs and snails
off my plants in pots, but, they were in the soil, I handpicked
several times but they still came back and I resorted to slug
pellets. On my parents grave, I have an awful problem when putting
fresh flowers there, within a couple of days they are almost eaten!
They are buried in a lovely old flint walled churchyard and I don't
like to throw green pellets around, any tips???

Judith, you can get organic slug pellets now and I have used them with great
success. They act by stopping the slug from feeding and you don't get those
revolting dead bodies. They are safe for birds to eat (both the slugs and
the pellets). Hint. They are even safe for chickens to eat - I checked with
the manufacturer! They are called Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer and
supposedly rain fast (though I think our recent weather might be a
challenge). The tub I have will last me ages since it suggests a maximum of
four applications per crop. Not sure whether that is because an overdose will
harm the crop (too much iron) or whether four is the maximum necessary.

[Aside - anyone hear my husband ask his slug question on Gardeners' Question
Time broadcast on 2nd November?]

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Give them Heineken.

Reaches the prats that other beers...

Nah. Try Stella or Fosters for that. Or perhaps you don't call them
beers :-)

I don't find them drinkable - seriously, I'd rather drink water.

Agreed. And I have taken precisely that decision more than once :-)

I hope you don't drink Heineken, Nick )

On occasion, but it has gone badly downhill over the past 40 years,
and I generally avoid it. I used to like Amstel and Oranjeboom,
but they have gone the same way. The bigger the chain, the less
character.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I didn't hear your husband, unfortunately Sally as I can't get Radio 4
here, shame. With regard to slugs, as it is an enclosed flint walled
churchyard, I would have though that snails, slugs would be less, as
there is not any open ground. We can't plant shrubs etc., as this is
not allowed, primarily I believe because they interfere with the
vaults, although my sister told me, it was because a past Priest
wanted it kept for easy maintenance. I go back every 6 weeks or so
and every week my sister puts on fresh flowers for us both. I will
tell her about the organic pellets you mention, thank you Sally.

Judith
Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 11, 11:21 am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:15:58 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:

The message
from stuart noble contains these words:

Can anyone suggest what may be attacking my pansies? They're in troughs
on a window sill and, one by one, something seems to be lopping the tops
off very cleanly at ground level. No soil or root disturbance, and no
damage to flowers or foliage.

Any advice welcome

Slugs.

hint They prefer slug pellets to pansies. /hint

Isn't there some botrytis-type disease which attacks pansies, making
them keel over and die? It might be that. If it is, no cure AFAIK.

Until recently we had a tortoise that gorged on pansies.
--

Martin

What happened to him Martin and how old is/was he?

We had him around 14 years, he has been relocated to a tortoise asylum.
a) we don't get letters from the asylum anymore suggesting that keeping a
tortoise is cruel.
b) The pansies last longer
c) The bloody thing doesn't manage to escape at least once a year only to be
returned by a do gooder.
--

Martin

LOL
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The message
from stuart noble contains these words:
Can anyone suggest what may be attacking my pansies? They're in troughs
on a window sill and, one by one, something seems to be lopping the tops
off very cleanly at ground level. No soil or root disturbance, and no
damage to flowers or foliage.
Any advice welcome

Slugs.

hint They prefer slug pellets to pansies. /hint

Isn't there some botrytis-type disease which attacks pansies, making
them keel over and die? It might be that. If it is, no cure AFAIK.

Pam in Bristol

Interesting. I can't see why a slug would eat through the stalk but not
touch the rest of the plant.
I'll have a browse for pansy diseases but the plants are in perfect
condition. They just aren't attached to their roots, that's all :-)

Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

Stick to Adnams, nobody ever used Adnams to kill slugs.

Unfortunately Morrisons have removed Adnams (the strong ale) from their
special offer range of 4 bottle for £5.
I think that also applies to Oyster Stout.

I'm now restricted to Marstons Pedigree.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 11-11-2008, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

stuart noble writes
wrote:

The message
from stuart noble contains these words:
Can anyone suggest what may be attacking my pansies? They're in
troughs on a window sill and, one by one, something seems to be
lopping the tops off very cleanly at ground level. No soil or root
disturbance, and no damage to flowers or foliage.
Any advice welcome
Slugs.

hint They prefer slug pellets to pansies. /hint

Isn't there some botrytis-type disease which attacks pansies, making
them keel over and die? It might be that. If it is, no cure AFAIK.
Pam in Bristol

Interesting. I can't see why a slug would eat through the stalk but not
touch the rest of the plant.

They start by eating at soil level where they can easily reach, then of
course eventually the plant falls over and is no longer quite so
attractive.

There's quite a few plants where the slugs seem particularly attracted
to the stems rather than the leaves - french beans, runner beans,
citrus, sunflowers for example.
--
Kay
Old 11-11-2008, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:40:14 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:
Give them Heineken.
Reaches the prats that other beers...
Nah. Try Stella or Fosters for that. Or perhaps you don't call them
beers :-)
I don't find them drinkable - seriously, I'd rather drink water.
Agreed. And I have taken precisely that decision more than once :-)
I hope you don't drink Heineken, Nick )

On occasion, but it has gone badly downhill over the past 40 years,
and I generally avoid it. I used to like Amstel and Oranjeboom,
but they have gone the same way. The bigger the chain, the less
character.

IMO Oranjeboom was already poor 40 years ago when Allied Brewers took it over
because the Dutch wouldn't drink it. I can remember being warned that if an
Indonesian restaurant sold Oranjeboom the food was probably poor too.
Nowadays Oranjeboom is another InBev product.
Amstel has come out of the same chemical plant as Heineken for at least two
decades.
Stick to Adnams, nobody ever used Adnams to kill slugs.

LOL I wonder if it would be any good at all asking a question about
gardening?
I keep seeing this person posting URG rules, is he a joker?
Two chaps who are obviously so knowledgeable about beer and lager will
no doubt be able to tell me if Bowles Mauve Erysimum will flower next
year too. I was always under the impression this was a perennial, but
was told today that it was not.
It has flowered prolifically for the past 3 years. I have done nothing
but cut it back each Spring, This year is has been in flower and is
still in flower, from March.
I could of course look on Google, but this looks a lot more fun, I might
even learn if Real Ale is any good for killing mozzies.

Bobbie.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 11, 1:37 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:46:22 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

Of course you can use your PC.http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/radio4fm/?fm

Listen to a recording of GQhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00f92b6
--

Martin

Oh Thanks Martin, thank you, I go on there now.

Judith
Old 11-11-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 11, 4:03 pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:59:24 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
[...]

The BBC appears to have degraded the sound quality for expats.
It only works outside UK if you first install Real Player spit.
--

Martin

I've just listened to the 4 p.m. News, it was great, good quality
sound and there is a programme about traffic at the moment, which I am
listening to as I write.

Judith

Purple pansy Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:46 AM
gulf fritillary/assassin bug...orange cajunpaisley Gardening 4 04-08-2008 06:19 PM
Forest Red Pansy Problem BiG Orange Gardening 0 20-05-2003 11:08 PM
Pansy trouble Kathy Gardening 0 22-02-2003 08:39 PM
Pansy Black Spot? trevor.appleton United Kingdom 0 19-11-2002 08:08 PM