Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default pansy assassin

someone wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Nov 10, 3:57 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I tried organic methods, once, of getting rid keeping slugs and snails
off my plants in pots, but, they were in the soil, I handpicked
several times but they still came back and I resorted to slug
pellets. On my parents grave, I have an awful problem when putting
fresh flowers there, within a couple of days they are almost eaten!
They are buried in a lovely old flint walled churchyard and I don't
like to throw green pellets around, any tips???
Throw blue ones?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I tried egg shells Rusty, that was a waste of time.

I've used soft soap/green soap with success against slugs and snails, they
hate the stuff. You can buy soft soap/green soap in small tubs in some
garden centres, it's a sticky brown compound. The soap must be made with
potassium, not sodium.

Is that to do with potassium being a nutrient?

I spray the soil around my plants with a solution
of this stuff and it seems to work. I also rub the soft soap around the
edges of my trays in the greenhouse, the slugs won't cross it, like garlic
to vampires.

someone

Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

My good friend Anne told me you were not only a mine of information but
a barrel of laughs, Seems she was right.

Oo-er! Would this be the Anne who has a black cat sitting on the besom
with her?

Oh, wow! That's a predigious

BZZZZT!
:-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 12-11-2008, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

My good friend Anne told me you were not only a mine of information but
a barrel of laughs, Seems she was right.

Oo-er! Would this be the Anne who has a black cat sitting on the besom
with her?

Oh, wow! That's a predigious memory you have there...

If I remember correctly, it was you who played about with both
"me" and the cat? How many years ago was that?

A canny few, I'd hazard...

'Twas I indeed.

I cannae unforget how canny thobut.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now I like the sound of that. I use a soap solution for black fly and
it also works pretty well with most aphids. I just continue to look
for organic alternatives to all the toxic chemicals we have used for
so many years. Not only that, the chemicals kill off the good guys. I
have never tried it against slugs. I will now.

Gwan! Agent Orange! DDT! Red lead! Arsenic! Strychnine!

Mix em all together and I bet it gets rid of yer slugs...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-11-2008, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

The problem in the country graveyard where my parents are
buried isn't slugs, it's rabbits, so slug pellets wouldn't work...
shotgun pellets might!

Ah there I can help. Have operational 10 bore, a big stack of rifles
from ·22" to (wait for it) 4-bore.

However, I think that the slugs from the last might be a tad unwelcome
in a graveyard, being an inch in diameter, and weighing-in at a tad over
a quarter of a pound...

A source of smiles - as ever! G

Only if you are on neither end of the monster innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 13-11-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

Now I like the sound of that. I use a soap solution for black fly and
it also works pretty well with most aphids. I just continue to look
for organic alternatives to all the toxic chemicals we have used for
so many years. Not only that, the chemicals kill off the good guys. I
have never tried it against slugs. I will now.

Gwan! Agent Orange! DDT! Red lead! Arsenic! Strychnine!

Mix em all together and I bet it gets rid of yer slugs...

LOL, fer sure.....and every other thing in sight. I would love to see
folks use less chemical methods, but I do realise that with Balsam and
Japanese Knot weed creeping up on us like invading Triffids, soft soap
isn't always the answer. Grand daughters are good. We pay ours to
hand pick caterpillars, and netting will often deter carrot fly. It's
hard work I know, but I have dogs and goats and chickens and poisons
are out. However we are almost self sufficient in vegetables now and
the flower beds have been a real treat this year.
btw did you have many Crane fly this year?

Bobbie
Old 13-11-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

My good friend Anne told me you were not only a mine of information
but a barrel of laughs, Seems she was right.

Oo-er! Would this be the Anne who has a black cat sitting on the besom
with her?

Oh, wow! That's a predigious memory you have there...

If I remember correctly, it was you who played about with both
"me" and the cat? How many years ago was that?

A canny few, I'd hazard...

'Twas I indeed.

I cannae unforget how canny thobut.

I part-exchanged the besom for a motorbike in 2001...

I exchanged some folding stuff for mine.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-11-2008, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

The problem in the country graveyard where my parents are
buried isn't slugs, it's rabbits, so slug pellets wouldn't work...
shotgun pellets might!

Ah there I can help. Have operational 10 bore, a big stack of rifles
from ·22" to (wait for it) 4-bore.

However, I think that the slugs from the last might be a tad unwelcome
in a graveyard, being an inch in diameter, and weighing-in at a
tad over
a quarter of a pound...

A source of smiles - as ever! G

Only if you are on neither end of the monster innit.

I couldn't hit a cow on the arse with a banjo, never mind a rabbit with
a slug - of whatever dimensions...

It's like firing about four barrels of a twelve-bore magnum all at once...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-11-2008, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Bobbie contains these words:

LOL, fer sure.....and every other thing in sight. I would love to see
folks use less chemical methods, but I do realise that with Balsam and
Japanese Knot weed creeping up on us like invading Triffids, soft soap
isn't always the answer. Grand daughters are good. We pay ours to
hand pick caterpillars, and netting will often deter carrot fly.

Best way to deter carrot fly is to grow your carrots in raised beds. If
that's impractical, in something like a window box or deep growbag
placed at an altitude of around three feet or more.

It's
hard work I know, but I have dogs and goats and chickens and poisons
are out.

Well, if they are your dogs and goats and chickens...

However we are almost self sufficient in vegetables now and
the flower beds have been a real treat this year.
btw did you have many Crane fly this year?

Not that many, no. Last year was worse.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-11-2008, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

I part-exchanged the besom for a motorbike in 2001...

I exchanged some folding stuff for mine.

Aye, that an' aaa!

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...r/bike_001.jpg

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 15-11-2008, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

I part-exchanged the besom for a motorbike in 2001...

I exchanged some folding stuff for mine.

Aye, that an' aaa!

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...r/bike_001.jpg

Bonnie bike. Front tyre's needin a bit air, thobut... ;-)

'Sneeding a wee bittie mair ATM.

shed
Got to ohl some tired leavers innit.
/shed

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-11-2008, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/...r/bike_001.jpg

Bonnie bike. Front tyre's needin a bit air, thobut... ;-)

'Sneeding a wee bittie mair ATM.

shed
Got to ohl some tired leavers innit.
/shed

Kin ee no borree sum?

Prolly, but all it needs is a top-up every few months, and I keep
forgetting to put levers on the shopping-list.

Will I remember now?

Watch this space...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-11-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I tried organic methods, once, of getting rid keeping slugs and snails
off my plants in pots, but, they were in the soil, I handpicked
several times but they still came back and I resorted to slug
pellets. On my parents grave, I have an awful problem when putting
fresh flowers there, within a couple of days they are almost eaten!
They are buried in a lovely old flint walled churchyard and I don't
like to throw green pellets around, any tips???

Throw blue ones?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

I tried egg shells Rusty, that was a waste of time.

Judith

Hi Judith,

I confess I haven't tried this, but I've heard that slugs and snails don't
like coffee grounds. If it works, it would be great for you because they'd
be almost invisible *and* free - provided you drink lots of coffee or
contact a helpful coffee shop. Worth trying, perhaps?

Spider

Old 18-11-2008, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 17, 9:51 pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

On Nov 10, 3:57 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
[...]

I will tell my sister in England about the coffee grounds, she could
save hers up and sprinkle them on, thanks Spider.

Judith

Purple pansy Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:46 AM
gulf fritillary/assassin bug...orange cajunpaisley Gardening 4 04-08-2008 06:19 PM
Forest Red Pansy Problem BiG Orange Gardening 0 20-05-2003 11:08 PM
Pansy trouble Kathy Gardening 0 22-02-2003 08:39 PM
Pansy Black Spot? trevor.appleton United Kingdom 0 19-11-2002 08:08 PM