GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Viburnum tinus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179764-viburnum-tinus.html)

Edsweb 14-11-2008 06:02 PM

Viburnum tinus

I have a very overgrown viburnum tinus and wish to prune quite heavily. Will pruning now cause any serious damage to the shrub?

Janet Conroy 14-11-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edsweb (Post 822727)
I have a very overgrown viburnum tinus and wish to prune quite heavily. Will pruning now cause any serious damage to the shrub?

I don't think evergreen viburnums should be pruned until late Spring. Having said that, I hacked back a lonicera today, so who am I to tell you what to do?

Rusty_Hinge 14-11-2008 11:23 PM

Viburnum tinus

The message
from Edsweb contains these words:

I have a very overgrown viburnum tinus and wish to prune quite heavily.
Will pruning now cause any serious damage to the shrub?

No.

We had thickets of it in the garden when I was an anklebiter, and some
of it was razed to stumps, from which it regenerated vigorously.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Malcolm 14-11-2008 11:23 PM

Viburnum tinus

Edsweb wrote:
I have a very overgrown viburnum tinus and wish to prune quite heavily.
Will pruning now cause any serious damage to the shrub?

We cut one down to 6 inches a few months back and it is now shooting
from the stub

Malcolm