Old 22-11-2008, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can sugar beet be eaten?

Can sugar beet be eaten?
Cooked or raw?
Shredded and mixed with something?
--
Chris
Old 22-11-2008, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

Can sugar beet be eaten?
Cooked or raw?
Shredded and mixed with something?

Yes, but not worth the effort - tastes like sweet mud.

Even sugarbeet wine is awful.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-11-2008, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris ] wrote:

Can sugar beet be eaten?

Yes, but it's not particularly flavorful, since it's bred for nothing but
high sugar content. I've heard of throwing a hunk of sugar beet in the jar
when canning regular beets to add sweetness.

Old 23-11-2008, 02:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Yes, but not worth the effort - tastes like sweet mud.

I didn't complain when I was a kid and there wasn't much else!
Old 23-11-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Saxman contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Yes, but not worth the effort - tastes like sweet mud.

I didn't complain when I was a kid and there wasn't much else!

Looxury! Tha were looky! When I were lad, us only 'ad the tops, and that
were only one leaf each on Christmas day, 'appen.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-11-2008, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from pb contains these words:
In article ,
says...
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Yes, but not worth the effort - tastes like sweet mud.

I didn't complain when I was a kid and there wasn't much else!

During the winter I do a bit of beating for several local shoots,
beaters are notorious for collecting anything edible.

Ho yus! Aren't we, just? You'll find three sorts of discarded corn cobs
around the cover crops - nibbled by rats, scoffed by deer, and chomped
by the beatership.

I carry home lots of fungi - blue-legs, wood blewits, clouded agarics,
deceivers, wax caps, shaggy ink caps, various boleti, beefsteak fungus,
(rarely, unfortunately) blushers, various russulas, the occasional
funnel cap, puffballs, orange peel fungus, common white helvella, and
various of Lactarius (including L. torminosus, which must be boiled for
ten minutes and the water discarded, otherwise...)

It is not at all
unusual to see beaters with carrier bags full of carrots, onions,
calabrese, turnips, parsnips, sweetcorn or potatoes, in fact if it is
eatable or sellable it will be picked. I have never seen anyone picking
sugarbeet.

Nobut, when the current crop of snow is harvested I'm off to a sugar
beet field to harvest a vast beetroot I've noticed.

I would have had one from another field, but woojer believe - one of the
other beater's dogs cocked a leg on it? Out of a whole damned 40 acre
field, it chooses the only beetroot.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-11-2008, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:09:37 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

Nobut, when the current crop of snow is harvested I'm off to a sugar
beet field to harvest a vast beetroot I've noticed.

I would have had one from another field, but woojer believe - one of the
other beater's dogs cocked a leg on it? Out of a whole damned 40 acre
field, it chooses the only beetroot.

Was it a reasoned critique or just a passing comment?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 23-11-2008, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from ®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² contains these words:
wrote:

Nobut, when the current crop of snow is harvested I'm off to a sugar
beet field to harvest a vast beetroot I've noticed.

I would have had one from another field, but woojer believe - one of the
other beater's dogs cocked a leg on it? Out of a whole damned 40 acre
field, it chooses the only beetroot.

Was it a reasoned critique or just a passing comment?

Prolly the former, if it heard Lance Percival innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-11-2008, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

I carry home lots of fungi - blue-legs, wood blewits, clouded agarics,
deceivers, wax caps, shaggy ink caps, various boleti, beefsteak fungus,
(rarely, unfortunately) blushers, various russulas, the occasional
funnel cap, puffballs, orange peel fungus, common white helvella, and
various of Lactarius (including L. torminosus, which must be boiled for
ten minutes and the water discarded, otherwise...)

And you're still here?

Old 23-11-2008, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

I carry home lots of fungi - blue-legs, wood blewits, clouded agarics,
deceivers, wax caps, shaggy ink caps, various boleti, beefsteak fungus,
(rarely, unfortunately) blushers, various russulas, the occasional
funnel cap, puffballs, orange peel fungus, common white helvella, and
various of Lactarius (including L. torminosus, which must be boiled for
ten minutes and the water discarded, otherwise...)

And you're still here?

Shouldn't I be? - I've been doing it (in an ever-broadening spectrum)
since around 1951.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-11-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Shouldn't I be? - I've been doing it (in an ever-broadening spectrum)
since around 1951.

I do recognise some of the species you mention, but some of the russulas
can be dodgy as there are so many varieties.

I would like to flawlessly recognise a lot of species, but finding a
mycologist to help and give up their time with recognition is the hard bit.
Old 23-11-2008, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Shouldn't I be? - I've been doing it (in an ever-broadening spectrum)
since around 1951.

I do recognise some of the species you mention, but some of the russulas
can be dodgy as there are so many varieties.

OK - name me one really dangerous Russula...

Even R. emetica will only make you puke. I leave the pink and red
Russulae strictly alone.

Oh, I forgot to mention Pluteus - especially P cervinus. And oyster
mushrooms. And Jew's ear. And did I mention 34 of the 36 species of
Agaricus? Parasol mushrooms, plums and custard, oh, I'm sure I've missed
a lot - and these are only the ones I find while out beating.

Sometimes.

I would like to flawlessly recognise a lot of species, but finding a
mycologist to help and give up their time with recognition is the hard bit.

Even experienced mycologists often have to examine the spores under a
microscope to be *SURE*.

It took me around twenty years of finding blushers before I was so sure
of what I'd found that I ate it without qualms. I've never looked back -
blushers were to die for - but get it wrong and pick a panther cap, and
it might be to die of.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 22-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Registered User

Smile

Hmm, this is an old thread. Found a sugar beet on the highway today. Sounds like I should have left it there. On the other hand, I think I will mix it with some lutefisk and haggis and toss it all out for Christmas!