GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Late November. Allotment (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/179917-late-november-allotment.html)

Ed 24-11-2008 01:03 AM

Late November. Allotment

What to do now in late November on the allotment?

I've planted in onions, garlic, peas, raspberries, strawberries, black
currant and red current.

It too cold and wet to do anything more..

Should i leave the plot alone until February?

Derek Turner 24-11-2008 09:57 AM

Late November. Allotment

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:03:04 +0000, Ed wrote:

What to do now in late November on the allotment?

I've planted in onions, garlic, peas, raspberries, strawberries, black
currant and red current.

It too cold and wet to do anything more..

Should i leave the plot alone until February?

follow-up set to the only relevant group - the septics are all asking
'what's an allotment?'

Having covered the bare bits with old carpet/black membrane, probably,
yes. An old and very experienced (prizewinning) gardener told me that if
it was cold enough to need an overcoat it was too cold to be in the
garden. You could collect lots of dead leaves into plastic bin-liners for
2010's leaf-mould?

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_266_] 24-11-2008 01:33 PM

Late November. Allotment

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
What to do now in late November on the allotment?

I've planted in onions, garlic, peas, raspberries, strawberries, black
currant and red current.

It too cold and wet to do anything more..

Should i leave the plot alone until February?

Sow broad beans, and sow sweet peas in pots in a sheltered position. Also
it is idea to dig out trenches where required and spreading manure etc. All
tidying up jobs can be done now while there is not the constant weed growth

CanopyCo 24-11-2008 07:05 PM

Late November. Allotment

On Nov 23, 7:03*pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
What to do now in late November on the allotment?

I've planted in onions, garlic, peas, raspberries, strawberries, black
currant and red current.

It too cold and wet to do anything more..

Should i leave the plot alone until February?

Some time while it is freezing I try to till up the garden to kill all
the roots of weeds and grass as well as lots of bugs that hide in the
ground.
The chickens love following me around while I till up lunch for them.

I do this three times a year, during the winter to slow down the
growth of them during the summer.

Collect bags of dead leaves now so that you can use them for mulch
next year.

Emrys Davies 24-11-2008 08:10 PM

Late November. Allotment

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
What to do now in late November on the allotment?

I've planted in onions, garlic, peas, raspberries, strawberries, black
currant and red current.

It too cold and wet to do anything more..

Should i leave the plot alone until February?

Good idea to rough dig any vacant soil so that the frosts can break it
down.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.