GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   photo of pine seeds to grow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/180004-photo-pine-seeds-grow.html)

john zeiss 28-11-2008 03:41 PM

photo of pine seeds to grow

These seed pods from a pine tree growing in our garden have just sprouted
very tiny green lumps which we think are shoots.

see photo posted to tinypic website:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ql72tg&s=4

We would like to grow them, would it be alright to put them in flower pots
now; or is it too early, and I should wait until the seeds become more
visible?

Thanks for any advice.

shazzbat 28-11-2008 04:28 PM

photo of pine seeds to grow

"john zeiss" wrote in message
These seed pods from a pine tree growing in our garden have just sprouted
very tiny green lumps which we think are shoots.

see photo posted to tinypic website:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ql72tg&s=4

We would like to grow them, would it be alright to put them in flower pots
now; or is it too early, and I should wait until the seeds become more
visible?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, they've started, I would pot them up.

Steve

Pete Stockdale 28-11-2008 04:53 PM

photo of pine seeds to grow

"shazzbat" wrote in message

Yes, they've started, I would pot them up.

Steve

All I ever seem to get on mine are cones!
Where do the pods appear ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Stephen Wolstenholme 28-11-2008 05:48 PM

photo of pine seeds to grow

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:41:53 -0000, "john zeiss"
wrote:

These seed pods from a pine tree growing in our garden have just sprouted
very tiny green lumps which we think are shoots.

see photo posted to tinypic website:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ql72tg&s=4

We would like to grow them, would it be alright to put them in flower pots
now; or is it too early, and I should wait until the seeds become more
visible?

Thanks for any advice.

They are past the difficult stage so pot them up and they will grow. I
planted one straight into the ground a few years ago. It's now about
60' high.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

Artificial neural networks applications.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 28-11-2008 08:10 PM

photo of pine seeds to grow

In message , john zeiss
writes
These seed pods from a pine tree growing in our garden have just sprouted
very tiny green lumps which we think are shoots.

Technically those are cones. And they're not from a pine tree - they
look like they're from a cypress. And I would interpret the green bits
as shoots growing from the stems to which the cones are attached.

see photo posted to tinypic website:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ql72tg&s=4

We would like to grow them, would it be alright to put them in flower pots
now; or is it too early, and I should wait until the seeds become more
visible?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

K 28-11-2008 09:07 PM

photo of pine seeds to grow

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , john zeiss
writes
These seed pods from a pine tree growing in our garden have just sprouted
very tiny green lumps which we think are shoots.

Technically those are cones. And they're not from a pine tree - they
look like they're from a cypress. And I would interpret the green bits
as shoots growing from the stems to which the cones are attached.

Yes, I'd agree with that.
--
Kay

Derek[_4_] 05-12-2008 08:48 PM

photo of pine seeds to grow

"K" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , john zeiss
writes
These seed pods from a pine tree growing in our garden have just sprouted
very tiny green lumps which we think are shoots.

Technically those are cones. And they're not from a pine tree - they look
like they're from a cypress. And I would interpret the green bits as
shoots growing from the stems to which the cones are attached.

Yes, I'd agree with that.
--
Kay

And here. I grew my Pine from a Guiness Xmas promotion a few years back the
seeds looked very like this
http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/image...etail_moss.jpg this
year all three survivors are tabletop chrissie tree size about 3-4 ft.
The depicted 'cone' is like the ones that grow on on my Lawsonii

Derek