Old 09-12-2008, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Indoor Ficus - Losing leaves and rotating tree.

Hi all. I have an indoor ficus tree and two questions...

1) It's in the corner of my room with a northern and western window
on both sides. I guess it got cold enough to make the ficus lose a
bunch of leaves lately and there are still a bunch of yellow ones. I
most definitely did not overwater it, and I don't think it's been left
without water for too long either. Every few waterings, I add organic
Fish and Seaweed fertilizer to the water. Should I be alarmed??

2) Is it good, bad, or of no consequence to rotate the tree every once
in a while so other parts get the window view?

Thanks!

JayDee
Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi JayDee. As i was living in Paris, every december, it was easy to find
ficuses throwed outside, by people think that their tree was dying. What
i never understood is that it was the same with yuccas.
Don't worry, all you are talking about is fine, you did the right job.
But for now stop every care for your plant, and, around mi-january, new
green leaves will appear, showing that your ficus is always alive. Just
keep it in a well lighted room, if possible not to many temperature like
a cold room.
I also saw, in the brasseries, people giving fresh air to their plant,
outside, even in december when weather was out of rain, and rather cold
but not freezing. Among the waited effects, in think cold weather killed
bad bacterias in the soil.
Later (say from March to September/October) give it again lot of rain
water, placing it in a lighted space, even outside. Remember though that
best ficus are those which stand in swimming pool, where humidity is
100%, and temperature around 24°C.

Have the best culture as possible, and tke care.

Jo, from Normandy/France.