Old 10-12-2008, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default torn tomato needing saving

Hi Poms

I have a wee problem with a tomato plant one of you might be able to help
with.

The plant is about 1 foot tall and has 2 central stems at about a 30 angle.
I noticed yesterday the two stems had 'torn' down the middle, ripping just
above the roots.

The tomato is still alive & both stems getting nutrients. I do however want
to ensure things do not get worse & my tomato remains viable for the summer.

I thought maybe I could:
Carefully individually stake the two stems to take load off
warp something around the tear to provide some stability & hope the wound
will self heal. I thought about cauze surgical dressings.

Any other thoughts/suggestion welcome. Ta.

rob

Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

I would definitely discard that plant as it is doomed to failure. Not
only will is probably develop disease, it will be very very diffult to
manage. You should have 'pinched out ' http://tinyurl.com/5nahl3
one of those two leaders as soon as they become visible and then you
would not have had this trouble.

Hope that helps and sorry to be so gloomy.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message
Hi Poms

I have a wee problem with a tomato plant one of you might be able to help
with.

The plant is about 1 foot tall and has 2 central stems at about a 30
angle. I noticed yesterday the two stems had 'torn' down the middle,
ripping just above the roots.

The tomato is still alive & both stems getting nutrients. I do however
want to ensure things do not get worse & my tomato remains viable for the
summer.

I thought maybe I could:
Carefully individually stake the two stems to take load off
warp something around the tear to provide some stability & hope the wound
will self heal. I thought about cauze surgical dressings.

Any other thoughts/suggestion welcome. Ta.

rob

In most cases I would agree with Emrys, but I'm assuming you wish to
experiment.....

Whenever, I've had a tomato plant break, I've just put the cutting in water
and waited for it to root. I've never been disappointed. Even somewhat
advanced side branches which are cut out in summer (as a part of ordinary
pruning) will do the same thing. So I think your best chance is to cut one
torn leader away neatly, then root it in water. If it's successful, and if
the existing plant is either too leggy or just spoiled, then try the same
with that, too. You could end up with two healthy plants awaiting the
summer.

Good luck - although you won't need much!
Spider

Old 10-12-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

Or plant the remaining part deeper so that the tear is underground. It
should make new roots from the buried stem.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
Spider wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

chances are both leaders are still attached to the root system, just split
at the stem. They both seem to be getting nutrients ok. Hmmmmm. I am very
tempted to leave as is & simply try and bandage them as best can. I have
staked them now so the weight is falling on the stakes, not directly on the
split area.

Maybe using some sort of grafting was used on trees to close the wound?
Maybe carefully dig up and plant a little deeper with the wound in the
ground?

rob

Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

yes, thanks for the hindsightful advice. I normally do pinch out but this
plant got neglected for a few days and bolted. I am of a mind to try and
nurse it through but maybe try and cauterise the wound.

rob

Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just a heads-up to Emrys - because of several trolls who use the same
e-addy as you I have KFd

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-12-2008, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Paul Luton" wrote in message
. uk...
Spider wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

A graft would certainly work, but there would always be a weakness there ...
not what you want with a (usually) heavily fruiting plant.

Planting deeper would also work, depending on high the wound was, but it's
not the best time of year for it. I guess you takes your chance.

Spider