GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Does anyone in Yorkshire have an electric soil sive ? I could borrow or hire? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/180302-does-anyone-yorkshire-have-electric-soil-sive-i-could-borrow-hire.html)

paulvcarter007 13-12-2008 10:50 AM

Does anyone in Yorkshire have an electric soil sive ? I could borrow or hire?

Help

I'm sitting on a massive pile of mixed top and sub soil courtesy of our builders

Several tons worth

If anyone has such a device - the only one available seems to be a Scheppach - please get in touch on

I'd hire one but no hire shops seesm to stock them - odd that

sorry please reply to username at aol.com

Emrys Davies 14-12-2008 03:25 PM

"paulvcarter007" wrote in message

Help

I'm sitting on a massive pile of mixed top and sub soil courtesy of

our
builders

Several tons worth

If anyone has such a device - the only one available seems to be a
Scheppach - please get in touch on

I'd hire one but no hire shops seesm to stock them - odd that

paulvcarter007

I cannot understand why you would need a sieve. If you throw the soil
around and then rake it you will recover any undesirable debris and then
you can dig a hole and bury the latter which will act as drainage. Job
done.

If you have to have one you can get a sieve here
http://tinyurl.com/5jlhf2 for £32.00, but it is not electric.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Janet Conroy 14-12-2008 08:08 PM

I agree with Emrys. I don't know where you are in Yorks, but when I lived there I was on clay, which is virtually un-sieveable. If it is a clay subsoil, you should be able to pick out the really claggy lumps by hand as you level the ground. If it's a big garden, you may need a mini skip to get rid - I wouldn't try to bury it as it doesn't drain and it is very heavy.