GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Night time temps (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/180688-night-time-temps.html)

Sacha[_3_] 07-01-2009 10:16 AM

Night time temps

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_3_] 07-01-2009 10:47 AM

Night time temps

On 7/1/09 10:38, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:16:50 +0000, Sacha wrote:

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

It's thawed here and is around +4C

Someone sent this to another group - wonderful photos but not much going on
there in the way of gardening! Nor here, I may say.

Sacha[_3_] 07-01-2009 11:44 AM

Night time temps

On 7/1/09 10:51, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:47:02 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 7/1/09 10:38, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:16:50 +0000, Sacha wrote:

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

It's thawed here and is around +4C

Someone sent this to another group - wonderful photos but not much going on
there in the way of gardening!

You forgot the photos, Sacha.

Sigh. The times I do that! My apologies.
http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/artike...aatsfotos.html

Nor here, I may say.

The birds have been sowing bird seed. There is a brand of mixed seed that is
sold by our local garden centre that none of the birds will eat. I suspect it
contains pesticide or mold.

It's very dangerous for them to be given old or mouldy seed. And in this
dry weather we need to remember to put out shallow dishes of water for them.

Bob Hobden 07-01-2009 04:14 PM

Night time temps

"Mike" wrote after
Sacha wrote:

Someone sent this to another group - wonderful photos but not much going
on
there in the way of gardening! Nor here, I may say.

I got some great winter photos in the freeze up but digging up some
parsnips on the allotment was a bit of a pain to say the least.

I jokingly said I'd better take the pickaxe to get some up, wish I had.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

[email protected] 07-01-2009 06:00 PM

Night time temps

On 7 Jan, 12:20, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:44:42 +0000, Sacha wrote:
On 7/1/09 10:51, in article ,

Dishes of warm water, dishes of cold water rapidly freeze.

Dishes of cold water hot water freezes more quickly.

I know it sounds strange but have a look at

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html

as a start.

--
Holcus

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 07-01-2009 07:34 PM

Night time temps

In article ,
says...
wrote:

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

Is that all! I'm surprised it wasn't lower. On the local weather
forecast, David Brane (sp?) said it was -6C in Penzance last night,
and we had the same on the other side of the bay. That's the coldest
it's been since we moved here eight years ago. It's already -2.7C
tonight and it's only 7pm. I expect losses in the garden. The flowers
on my Lobsterclaw that I posted a pic of in your first appeal for NYD
plants, are now a dark plum purple. Quite attractive really!

Snap! my Lobster claw also looking sad, -9c here, a real killer, although
I fancy a little warmer during the day today compared with yesterday when
it stayed below -4c all day
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

David in Normandy[_7_] 07-01-2009 07:47 PM

Night time temps

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

Is that all! I'm surprised it wasn't lower. On the local weather
forecast, David Brane (sp?) said it was -6C in Penzance last night,
and we had the same on the other side of the bay. That's the coldest
it's been since we moved here eight years ago. It's already -2.7C
tonight and it's only 7pm. I expect losses in the garden. The flowers
on my Lobsterclaw that I posted a pic of in your first appeal for NYD
plants, are now a dark plum purple. Quite attractive really!

Snap! my Lobster claw also looking sad, -9c here, a real killer, although
I fancy a little warmer during the day today compared with yesterday when
it stayed below -4c all day

minus 6 here in Normandy. A little further South it was -13 last night.

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Neuneu le Jardinier 07-01-2009 08:06 PM

Night time temps

Le Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:47:40 +0100, David in Normandy a utilisé son clavier
pour dire :

minus 6 here in Normandy.

Same in Charente with 4cm of snow,frozen now.

Bye to the Pelargonium and some other plants I guess.
--
Salut la compagnie

Mon Beau Jardin est derrière La Grille Verte
http://www.la-grille-verte.net

Christina Websell 07-01-2009 09:34 PM

Night time temps

"Sacha" wrote in message
-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

-9 here in Leics. Made providing water for my poultry before I went to work
quite challenging.
It's set to improve. Only (allegedly) -1 tonight. Positively tropical :-)

Christina Websell 07-01-2009 09:39 PM

Night time temps

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.
Is that all! I'm surprised it wasn't lower. On the local weather
forecast, David Brane (sp?) said it was -6C in Penzance last night,
and we had the same on the other side of the bay. That's the coldest
it's been since we moved here eight years ago. It's already -2.7C
tonight and it's only 7pm. I expect losses in the garden. The flowers
on my Lobsterclaw that I posted a pic of in your first appeal for NYD
plants, are now a dark plum purple. Quite attractive really!

Snap! my Lobster claw also looking sad, -9c here, a real killer, although
I fancy a little warmer during the day today compared with yesterday when
it stayed below -4c all day

minus 6 here in Normandy. A little further South it was -13 last night.

According to my friend in Germany its -12 there. She actually likes it,
saying it's not a "real winter" without it. I told her she's quite mad.

Emery Davis[_2_] 07-01-2009 10:18 PM

Night time temps

David in Normandy wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.
Is that all! I'm surprised it wasn't lower. On the local weather
forecast, David Brane (sp?) said it was -6C in Penzance last night,
and we had the same on the other side of the bay. That's the coldest
it's been since we moved here eight years ago. It's already -2.7C
tonight and it's only 7pm. I expect losses in the garden. The flowers
on my Lobsterclaw that I posted a pic of in your first appeal for NYD
plants, are now a dark plum purple. Quite attractive really!

Snap! my Lobster claw also looking sad, -9c here, a real killer,
although I fancy a little warmer during the day today compared with
yesterday when it stayed below -4c all day

minus 6 here in Normandy. A little further South it was -13 last night.

We had -15C last night, a little south and east. In the town of l'Aigle
about 30 mi east, they reported -19!

A bit warmer now, with fog.

-E

Sacha[_3_] 07-01-2009 11:46 PM

Night time temps

wrote:

-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

Is that all! I'm surprised it wasn't lower. On the local weather
forecast, David Brane (sp?) said it was -6C in Penzance last night,
and we had the same on the other side of the bay. That's the coldest
it's been since we moved here eight years ago. It's already -2.7C
tonight and it's only 7pm. I expect losses in the garden. The flowers
on my Lobsterclaw that I posted a pic of in your first appeal for NYD
plants, are now a dark plum purple. Quite attractive really!

It's clouded over here tonight and is markedly 'warmer'! I think we get a
bit sheltered, if that's the right word, by being south of the moor. As to
the garden, like you I'm a bit fearful as to what will have happened to some
of the more tender things but we don't have Clianthus outside!!

Alan Johnson 08-01-2009 12:26 PM

Night time temps

Sacha wrote:
-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

It was about -20°C here in northern Germany two nights ago. The lowest
temperature was recorded about 50 miles away at -28°C (Bad Lippspringe).
It was only about -15°C last night. I haven't seen the good side of
freezing point for over a week. It rarely climbs above -10°C during the
day. My leeks look dead. I'm just glad the price of heating oil has
fallen. We've just ordered 4000 litres for around £2000. In the spring
3000 litres cost us around £3000.

Regards

--
Alan Johnson, Geotr@ns
www.geotrans-online.de

Gordon H[_3_] 08-01-2009 04:28 PM

Night time temps

In message , Alan Johnson
writes
Sacha wrote:
-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

It was about -20°C here in northern Germany two nights ago. The lowest
temperature was recorded about 50 miles away at -28°C (Bad
Lippspringe). It was only about -15°C last night.

A blistering -4.8C in my garden two nights ago. ;-)

That was the lowest temperature this winter so far.
Last year in the same period, it was always a few degrees above
freezing.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Sacha[_3_] 08-01-2009 04:34 PM

Night time temps

On 8/1/09 12:26, in article , "Alan
Johnson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
-6C here last night and a white start to the day.

It was about -20°C here in northern Germany two nights ago. The lowest
temperature was recorded about 50 miles away at -28°C (Bad Lippspringe).
It was only about -15°C last night. I haven't seen the good side of
freezing point for over a week. It rarely climbs above -10°C during the
day. My leeks look dead. I'm just glad the price of heating oil has
fallen. We've just ordered 4000 litres for around £2000. In the spring
3000 litres cost us around £3000.

Regards

Which makes our -6C sound pretty feeble! Another cold night is forecast but
we have some cloud cover so hope that will help. The birds are eating us
out of house and home and to our real pleasure, the long-tailed tits are
back. We saw them for the first time ever last year and then they
disappeared. But today they're back on the peanut feeder, vying for space
with the blue tits.
Hope you'll warm up soon, Alan - let us know how it goes. Reading your post
reminds me of why that huge Camellia at Pilnitz near Dresden, has its own
greenhouse on wheels for the winter! I think you get colder where you are,
don't you?