GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stringless Beans and Sugar Snap/Mangetout Peas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/180721-stringless-beans-sugar-snap-mangetout-peas.html)

Steve Harris 10-01-2009 12:15 AM

Stringless Beans and Sugar Snap/Mangetout Peas

Can anyone recommend varieties of beans and sugar snap/mangetout peas that
are truly stringless?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Tom 10-01-2009 09:23 AM

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend varieties of beans and sugar snap/mangetout peas that
are truly stringless?

I can certainly recommend Oregon Sugar Pod. I grew a staggered double row
15' long on my allotment last year and I couldn't pick them fast enough. Eat
them young and there is not a trace of stringiness about them.

Though the tastiest bit of the plant in my opinion was the tops I pinched
off them. No wonder the pigeons like them so much.

Tom

[email protected] 10-01-2009 10:08 AM

Stringless Beans and Sugar Snap/Mangetout Peas

In article ,
Steve Harris wrote:
Can anyone recommend varieties of beans and sugar snap/mangetout peas that
are truly stringless?

Almost all modern bean varieties are stringless, unless left too long
before picking. No snap/mangetout pea that I have tried has been
entirely so (and that includes Oregon Sugar Pod), unless picked so
young that they haven't developed much flavour.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 10-01-2009 10:32 AM

Stringless Beans and Sugar Snap/Mangetout Peas

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

Can anyone recommend varieties of beans and sugar snap/mangetout peas that
are truly stringless?

Any of them - just don't leave them on the vine too long.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Steve Harris 10-01-2009 12:04 PM

(Rusty_Hinge) wrote:

Any of them - just don't leave them on the vine too long.

Thanks. I think the problem I really have is that the crop goes from too
small to too big very fast. Mangetout peas move extremely fast on my plot:

20 April - Sow seed
25 June - First crop
15 July - Covered with powdery mildew

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 10-01-2009 12:42 PM

(Rusty_Hinge) wrote:

Any of them - just don't leave them on the vine too long.

Thanks. I think the problem I really have is that the crop goes from too
small to too big very fast. Mangetout peas move extremely fast on my plot:

Pour treacle round the plants - that'll slow them down a bit.

Or use them for snap-shooting?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Pam Moore[_2_] 11-01-2009 11:00 AM

Stringless Beans and Sugar Snap/Mangetout Peas

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:08:51 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article ,
Steve Harris wrote:
Can anyone recommend varieties of beans and sugar snap/mangetout peas that
are truly stringless?

Runner bean Desiree does well for me. It's white flowered.

Pam in Bristol