GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie also (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/180739-newbie-also.html)

[email protected] 10-01-2009 10:09 PM

Newbie also

Looks like there are a few newbies around today...is everyone as
impatient as me waiting for the planting season?????

If if can look for adivce straight away..anyone have sucess with basil
and corriander on windowsill this time of year, I really miss those
homegrown fresh herbs I grow later on in the year. I have just bought
some seeds fromt he garden centre today...longing to start them off

cheers guys

news-search[_3_] 10-01-2009 11:30 PM

Newbie also

ha scritto:
Looks like there are a few newbies around today...is everyone as
impatient as me waiting for the planting season?????

If if can look for adivce straight away..anyone have sucess with basil
and corriander on windowsill this time of year, I really miss those
homegrown fresh herbs I grow later on in the year. I have just bought
some seeds fromt he garden centre today...longing to start them off

cheers guys

I' think is too early now.
It's better you wait at least march-april.

Besides there is a little problem in winter for home-made food
green-leaves plants, particularly salades, but also all these ones.

If your house is not enough sunny, you risk their leaves store too much
NO3 (nitrates) that are not so healty!
It generally occurs mainly at high latitudes, if it is not enough
lightening, because plants absorbing these nutrients to create
aminoacids (and then proteins) don't use all of it and they store the
residual of the root-absorbed nitrates in the plant tissues, expecially
under low-light conditions.
In organic agriculture this problem is less frequent because they don't
feed plants adding also mineral nitrogenum (N) fertilizers (whose
nutrients are, in this case, more available for root-absorption).

The problem is not so relevant if you need only some basil leaves, but
if you want to produce for example sausage (like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesto), needing a lot of basil leaves, I
think could not be a good idea to use indoor-produced basil.
Hope it helps,
L.F.

news-search[_3_] 10-01-2009 11:34 PM

Newbie also

Perdon, I talked before about sauce, not sausage :-))

Spider 16-01-2009 06:06 PM

Newbie also

wrote in message
Looks like there are a few newbies around today...is everyone as
impatient as me waiting for the planting season?????

If if can look for adivce straight away..anyone have sucess with basil
and corriander on windowsill this time of year, I really miss those
homegrown fresh herbs I grow later on in the year. I have just bought
some seeds fromt he garden centre today...longing to start them off

cheers guys

Welcome Barbara. Happy New Year. How long have you been gardening?

Spider

Sacha[_3_] 16-01-2009 10:18 PM

Newbie also

On 16/1/09 18:06, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

wrote in message
Looks like there are a few newbies around today...is everyone as
impatient as me waiting for the planting season?????

If if can look for adivce straight away..anyone have sucess with basil
and corriander on windowsill this time of year, I really miss those
homegrown fresh herbs I grow later on in the year. I have just bought
some seeds fromt he garden centre today...longing to start them off

cheers guys

Welcome Barbara. Happy New Year. How long have you been gardening?

Spider

I don't think I saw the original post and I'm sure some are passing me by.
But I add my welcome and can say only that AIUI, Basil does best with some
bottom heat to start it off. Hold the smutty jokes........!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com