GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wisteria (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/180742-wisteria.html)

renedrag 11-01-2009 09:10 AM

Wisteria

I need a bit of advise on late pruning of wisteria.Unfortunatley I was unable to prune my wisteria last year,and it's got a bit out of hand,and needs the top cut back hard as well as pruning,it's a well established plant and I don't think hard pruning now would hurt it too much.But any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
renedrag.

Gopher 11-01-2009 03:47 PM

Wisteria

In message , renedrag
writes

I need a bit of advise on late pruning of wisteria.Unfortunatley I was
unable to prune my wisteria last year,and it's got a bit out of
hand,and needs the top cut back hard as well as pruning,it's a well
established plant and I don't think hard pruning now would hurt it too
much.But any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
renedrag.

See link below. This is basically what I have done for the past 30 or so
years - and our wisterias almost always bloom superbly. I would assume
you have conducted the first pruning and proceed with the recommended
Feb. Prune - clearing out the long trailers you don't want as you go. It
may not be 100% this year but if you follow this regime from now on,
although it's a little more work, the results are normally excellent and
well worth the trouble.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0605/wisteria.asp

Hope this helps.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Bob Hobden 11-01-2009 03:59 PM

Wisteria

"renedrag" wrote ...

I need a bit of advise on late pruning of wisteria.Unfortunatley I was
unable to prune my wisteria last year,and it's got a bit out of
hand,and needs the top cut back hard as well as pruning,it's a well
established plant and I don't think hard pruning now would hurt it too
much.But any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

If you do a Google Groups search on this Newsgroup for Wisteria Pruning
you will find it's been covered rather a lot of times. :-)
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...rch+this+group

--
Regards
Bob Hobden