Old 17-01-2009, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default stored apples and a mystery

Just went to the apple store to get some Bramley's for a crumble and
found they'd all softened/rotted. This is unusual because in previous
years I've been able to find one or two good ones up till March. I
particularly thought with the recent cold weather that they'd last
better --or could they actually have frozen and softened for that
reason? Although, I have other varieties which are still ok [1].

Is anyone else storing apples and have they lasted as normal?

[1] The thick skinned russets are ok, plus this other variety...

When I planted these trees I bought two unlabelled mysteries at a
knockdown price. One I've identified but the other is still a mystery.
It's a very prolific tree, shade tolerant, a late variety, its apples
have a yellowish flesh and a mild custard flavour, very juicy. Best of
all is that the apples store brilliantly; I have had them keep until
May. Can anyone identify the variety from this description? It's going
to be one of the common popular ones, the nursery I got them from is
only a re-seller and only stocks common varieties. The other mystery
turned out to be a Cox's. I'd like to know because I'd like to plant
another.

brian mitchell
Old 17-01-2009, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

brian mitchell writes
Just went to the apple store to get some Bramley's for a crumble and
found they'd all softened/rotted. This is unusual because in previous
years I've been able to find one or two good ones up till March. I
particularly thought with the recent cold weather that they'd last
better --or could they actually have frozen and softened for that
reason? Although, I have other varieties which are still ok [1].

Is anyone else storing apples and have they lasted as normal?

Allingtons Pippins are supposed to be good till Dec but are still going
strong (which is fortunate since I had over 100lbs). One or two are
beginning to rot from inside, but I reckon I'll get another 3-4 weeks.

Brownlees Russet and Cornish Aromatic are keeping very well, but they
are supposed to keep till March.

I think mine are keeping well this year because the wet summer meant
they were late to develop and the mild autumn meant I picked them late,
In the apple tree mind it's probably still mid December ;-)
--
Kay
Old 19-01-2009, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

Allingtons Pippins are supposed to be good till Dec but are still going
strong (which is fortunate since I had over 100lbs). One or two are
beginning to rot from inside, but I reckon I'll get another 3-4 weeks.

Brownlees Russet and Cornish Aromatic are keeping very well, but they
are supposed to keep till March.

I think mine are keeping well this year because the wet summer meant
they were late to develop and the mild autumn meant I picked them late,
In the apple tree mind it's probably still mid December ;-)
--

I had the same weather conditions and mine don't seem to be keeping as
well as normal. Where do you store yours? And as you're obviously

brian mitchell
Old 19-01-2009, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

brian mitchell writes

I had the same weather conditions and mine don't seem to be keeping as
well as normal. Where do you store yours? And as you're obviously
knowledgeable about apples, do you have the solution to my mystery?

I store mine in the cellar - cool and slightly damp.

In what way are yours not keeping? Are they rotting or shrivelling? I
don't have your original post any more, but IIRC you had a variety that
were supposed to keep till March or later that were already spoilt.

When did you pick them? I think (but may be completely wrong) that
keeping them on the tree as long as possible may help.

--
Kay
Old 20-01-2009, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:33:30 GMT, brian mitchell
wrote:

Just went to the apple store to get some Bramley's for a crumble and
found they'd all softened/rotted. This is unusual because in previous
years I've been able to find one or two good ones up till March. I
particularly thought with the recent cold weather that they'd last

Have they got colder and warmer? That can't do them any good.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk