Old 19-01-2009, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I've got an allotment!

OMG! I've got an allotment.
I signed for it yesterday and we went over today and started emptying
the massively full and broken compost heap. (It's leaning over the
path so it's got to be sorted out)

I've got two big trees, a plum and an apple we're guessing by what's
rotting underneath it. And a little cherry and something else but
can't remember - they're about 18 months old.
A vine in the greenhouse
Two rows of raspberries
Some rhubarb! Hurray!
Some other berry thing that is as yet unknown.
Some strawberries
Jerusalem Artichokes

There's what looks and smells like celery in one bed but it's rotting
so I assume that's got to come out.

I assume I know which raspberry canes need pruning out by seeing if
they've got fruit on (It's been neglected since before everything
fruited in the summer...)
and grave vine - not got a clue what to do with that other than clip
off the dead fruit...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=669545258
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 19-01-2009, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

mogga wrote:

[...]

Wow lucky you, I got my first allotment April last year, and all I got was
thistles, bindweed and dandelions and an over active bloke with a tractor
who helpfully ploughed the whole thing about two days after I glyphosated
the whole lot. Still, I get to make a whole new start this year :-) (I
think).

It's amazing, I moved from a house with a large garden and grew loads of me
own veg and all sorts of exotics, now it's pernicious weeds and overgrown
paths and not even allowed a greenhouse or a shed on the allotment

Ah well, move along too much work to be done to moan about not doing it.

Duncan
Old 19-01-2009, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:19:41 +0000, dr wrote:

mogga wrote:

[...]

LOL There's plenty of weeds too - done a bit this morning but then it
rained and now it has snowed.
Old 19-01-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Do check the type of soil you have, if I tried to get on my allotment to do
stuff it would damage the soil so much it would be unworkable for the next
12 months. I have to be very careful when I work it, it has to be drying out
well before I try. The adjacent allotment holders, if they are experienced
plot holders, should be able to tell you, that's if you see them this time
of year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-01-2009, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:54:44 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

There was digging going on Sunday - and it only rained as we were
packing up... and the snow that followed!

Old 19-01-2009, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations! We got ours in November. We got the Jerusalem artichokes
and masses of weeds! We were left an unpleasant slimy heap of rubbish,
right where we have to put the shed [local planning rules dictate which
corner you have to put the shed in, but the green house can go anywhere!].
Also got two currant bushes, some sickly looking strawberries and the oldest
gooseberry bush on the field, which everyone is telling us to pull up!

And now, of course, we have furry little moles as well.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.

Old 20-01-2009, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ...
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

Might well have been but were they the old experienced gardeners doing it?
Some of the keen "youngsters" have been trying to dig on our site, they'll
learn (or give up).
You will also need to get in a supply of well rotted manure to dig in,
something else I've noticed some of the new gardeners don't seem to bother
with. Presumably they just use fertilizer.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-01-2009, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:40:53 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Might well have been but were they the old experienced gardeners doing it?
Some of the keen "youngsters" have been trying to dig on our site, they'll
learn (or give up).
You will also need to get in a supply of well rotted manure to dig in,

It's banned according to a poster up on the portacabin outside.
Something to do with weedklillers and things in it... I will be asking
about this as tbh it seems a bit mad.

something else I've noticed some of the new gardeners don't seem to bother
with. Presumably they just use fertilizer.

Doesn't do the worms much good though does it? I assume they like
having lots of organic material dug in.
Old 20-01-2009, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes
Might well have been but were they the old experienced gardeners doing it?
Some of the keen "youngsters" have been trying to dig on our site, they'll
learn (or give up).
You will also need to get in a supply of well rotted manure to dig in,

It's banned according to a poster up on the portacabin outside.
Something to do with weedklillers and things in it... I will be asking
about this as tbh it seems a bit mad.

Aminopyralid contamination. See, for example,

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ler-manure.asp
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-01-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 18:13:57 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , mogga
writes
Might well have been but were they the old experienced gardeners doing it?
Some of the keen "youngsters" have been trying to dig on our site, they'll
learn (or give up).
You will also need to get in a supply of well rotted manure to dig in,

It's banned according to a poster up on the portacabin outside.
Something to do with weedklillers and things in it... I will be asking
about this as tbh it seems a bit mad.

Aminopyralid contamination. See, for example,

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ler-manure.asp

So are there mountains of manure mounting up around the country?

Old 21-01-2009, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote after Stewart Robert Hinsley
Might well have been but were they the old experienced gardeners doing
it?
Some of the keen "youngsters" have been trying to dig on our site,
they'll
learn (or give up).
You will also need to get in a supply of well rotted manure to dig in,

It's banned according to a poster up on the portacabin outside.
Something to do with weedklillers and things in it... I will be asking
about this as tbh it seems a bit mad.

Aminopyralid contamination. See, for example,

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ler-manure.asp

So are there mountains of manure mounting up around the country?

Well there is on our allotment because someone is dumping it just over the
fence with a grab lorry!
Personally I won't use it as I get mine a year old, well rotted and ready to
use from someone I trust.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-01-2009, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Jan, 09:16, mogga wrote:
So are there mountains of manure mounting up around the country?

We thought the same thing! We haven't been spared last summer either,
but we haven't banned any manure. Luckily for us we were on holidays
and didn't get any from that batch. The main advice was to rotate the
ground thoroughly and this would speed up the break down of chemical.
However, we got another problem, many got potato wart disease and that
was very serious. Again, we decided last year not to do any spuds. I
was so so lucky. Now we must only grow varieties resistant to the
disease and we're not allowed to take any affected plant material off
the allotment site. We've got a list of the only varieties allowed.