GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chitting spuds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181046-chitting-spuds.html)

Crundy[_2_] 02-02-2009 07:40 PM

Chitting spuds

Hmm, my potatoes that I'm chitting are turning quite green. Is it normal for
the entire seed to go green? Superman would be shitting himself if saw them.

K 02-02-2009 09:41 PM

Chitting spuds

Crundy writes
Hmm, my potatoes that I'm chitting are turning quite green. Is it
normal for the entire seed to go green?

The entire potato will go green if it's in the light- it's why you earth
up potatoes, so the ones at the top don't turn green.

I presume by 'seed' you mean 'seed potato' ie small tuber, since of
course the potato fruit is like a small (but poisonous) tomato with a
lot of small seeds inside.
--
Kay

Pete Stockdale 03-02-2009 08:50 PM

Chitting spuds

"K" wrote in message
Crundy writes
Hmm, my potatoes that I'm chitting are turning quite green. Is it normal
for the entire seed to go green?

The entire potato will go green if it's in the light- it's why you earth
up potatoes, so the ones at the top don't turn green.

I presume by 'seed' you mean 'seed potato' ie small tuber, since of course
the potato fruit is like a small (but poisonous) tomato with a lot of
small seeds inside.

It is abnormal for chitting spuds to turn green.
What is the variety and under what conditions are you keeping them ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Rusty_Hinge[_2_] 03-02-2009 11:26 PM

Chitting spuds

The message
from "Pete Stockdale" contains these words:
"K" wrote in message
Crundy writes
Hmm, my potatoes that I'm chitting are turning quite green. Is it normal
for the entire seed to go green?

The entire potato will go green if it's in the light- it's why you earth
up potatoes, so the ones at the top don't turn green.

I presume by 'seed' you mean 'seed potato' ie small tuber, since of
course
the potato fruit is like a small (but poisonous) tomato with a lot of
small seeds inside.

It is abnormal for chitting spuds to turn green.
What is the variety and under what conditions are you keeping them ?

If you leave chitting spuds in the light, they always turn green.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig