Old 15-02-2009, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Black Currant Pruning.

I have some black currant bushes which have an 'established' look.
I want to prune them and have been told to cut back on the old growth.
Trouble is, having just looked at them, I can't see any difference between
the branches to able to tell new from old.

Advice please.

mark

Old 15-02-2009, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "mark" contains these words:

I have some black currant bushes which have an 'established' look.
I want to prune them and have been told to cut back on the old growth.
Trouble is, having just looked at them, I can't see any difference between
the branches to able to tell new from old.

Cut out a third of the bush every year and you won't go far wrong -
assuming you cut out a different third each time!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-02-2009, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 14:53:22 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from "mark" contains these words:

I have some black currant bushes which have an 'established' look.
I want to prune them and have been told to cut back on the old growth.
Trouble is, having just looked at them, I can't see any difference
between
the branches to able to tell new from old.

Cut out a third of the bush every year and you won't go far wrong -
assuming you cut out a different third each time!

/pedant
How can you cut out the same third of the bush every year?
/pedant

Depends whether you're viewing 'a third' as an absolute, or a location?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 15-02-2009, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:29:48 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:

Depends whether you're viewing 'a third' as an absolute, or a location?

or an absolute physical object

'Absolute' encompasses that...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 15-02-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:33:32 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:

Depends whether you're viewing 'a third' as an absolute, or a location?

or an absolute physical object

'Absolute' encompasses that...

IYO

If not in yours, then you don't understand what 'absolute' means...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-02-2009, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They fruit on new growth, so the easiest way to do it is to cut off
the branch with the ripe fruit on it and then remove the fruit sitting
down at your leisure. We have been doing this successfully for over
twenty years. (Not true for red currents that fruit on old growth.)

Jonathan
Old 17-02-2009, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:19:18 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

They fruit on new growth, so the easiest way to do it is to cut off
the branch with the ripe fruit on it and then remove the fruit sitting
down at your leisure. We have been doing this successfully for over
twenty years. (Not true for red currents that fruit on old growth.)

Jonathan

Good tip, thanks

But significantly reduces the crop.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-02-2009, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Feb, 11:31, Aries wrote:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:59:28 GMT, Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:19:18 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

They fruit on new growth, so the easiest way to do it is to cut off
the branch with the ripe fruit on it and then remove the fruit sitting
down at your leisure. We have been doing this successfully for over
twenty years. (Not true for red currents that fruit on old growth.)

Jonathan

Good tip, thanks

But significantly reduces the crop.

what do you suggest then ?
--
The Golden Rule:
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

For four of us two bushes produced a glut every year using this
method.

Jonathan
Old 17-02-2009, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:59:28 GMT, Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Aries contains these words:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 01:19:18 -0800 (PST), Jonathan wrote:

They fruit on new growth, so the easiest way to do it is to cut off
the branch with the ripe fruit on it and then remove the fruit sitting
down at your leisure. We have been doing this successfully for over
twenty years. (Not true for red currents that fruit on old growth.)

Jonathan

Good tip, thanks

But significantly reduces the crop.

what do you suggest then ?

What I suggested earlier in the thread - cut out a third of the bush
each year on a rotational basis.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 17-02-2009, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Jonathan contains these words:

For four of us two bushes produced a glut every year using this
method.

Then I'd advocate making cordial and/or wine...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 17-02-2009, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Jonathan contains these words:

For four of us two bushes produced a glut every year using this
method.

Then I'd advocate making cordial and/or wine...

And sorbet and ice-cream ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-02-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Jonathan contains these words:

For four of us two bushes produced a glut every year using this
method.

Then I'd advocate making cordial and/or wine...

Black currant syrup is easy to make and very popular with our grandkids. I
use less sugar than most syrup recipes suggest - about 8 oz sugar (instead
of the usual 12oz) per pint of strained liquid. But I'm make sure the
bottles are very clean and hot, when filling with the hot syrup - and
sealing the top straight away.

My 6 20 year old blackcurrant bushes provide between 40 and 50 lbs of
fruit, which keeps us (and friends who pick in return for fruit) in syrup,
jam, bottled fruit etc for the whole year.