Old 16-02-2009, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple scrumping time

Kia ora Poms

It is the start of apple scrumping time here (we have a few early varieties
like Sunrise, Gala and Gravestein) coming in to season.

Thus far I have scrumped (well, asked and been granted permission but
scrumping sounds more exciting) some apples from 2 trees on a empty lot down
the road and from my neighbours tree (in exchange for a bag of tomatos in
her letter box every few days and potatos dug from here garden). Those
apples went toward making 22 litres of apple cider. First attempt.
"Interesting" experience. If nayone wants to hear about it let me know
(note: let me know if you want the short or long version. There is no short
version, long version only).

I semi-scrumpt some apples from a workmates rental property today. Our
secretary wanted some eating apples for her family. Whilst picking decent
eating apples the odd scungy or slightly 'off' apple fell in to a box of
mine. Scungy apples outweigh eating apples about 3-1 however the trees were
unsprayed so what else can you expect. If I can now agree to my neighbour
down the road agreeing to part with the (rapidly ripening) apples off his
tree (maybe in exchange for some of the finished product) I can turn my hand
to making another batch of cider.

Amazing what you can do with neighbourhood produce.

Old 16-02-2009, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

George.com writes
Scungy apples outweigh eating apples about 3-1 however the trees were
unsprayed so what else can you expect.

Interesting - you must have worse pests than us. I don't spray, but
certainly get a much better ratio of good apples - keep for up to
6months in storage.

--
Kay
Old 17-02-2009, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
George.com writes
Scungy apples outweigh eating apples about 3-1 however the trees were
unsprayed so what else can you expect.

Interesting - you must have worse pests than us. I don't spray, but
certainly get a much better ratio of good apples - keep for up to 6months
in storage.

I judiciously selected the apples on the side of safety. Anything that was
marked I automatically consigned to cider making. Can't be too careful what
children eat eh. Only downside is that now I will have to make lots of nice
cider with the 'unfit' apples. Damn.

rob

Old 17-02-2009, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

I judiciously selected the apples on the side of safety. Anything that was
marked I automatically consigned to cider making. Can't be too careful what
children eat eh. Only downside is that now I will have to make lots of nice
cider with the 'unfit' apples. Damn.

Yes, you can't be too careful what children eat: they need loads of
stuff which is slightly 'off', at least half a peck of dirt, and
anything else which migh upset them.

Only then will they grow up to be free of allergies, hay fever, asthma, etc.

Make a couple of bottles less cider and give them some apples with
blemishes. Encourage them to dust-off something they've dropped at the
barbie, etc.

For a few episodes of a bilious nature you'll save them a lifetime of
other problems.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig