Old 25-02-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default snowdrop propagation

Has anyone ever tried tp propagate snowdrops by "twin scaling" as in
the page here, from Judy's Snowdrops?
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/Prop...in-scaling.htm

The instructions are so detailed it should be fairly easy to do.
Is it worth it unless you have expensive varieties?
Do you get more bulbs more quickly than leaving a clump to multiply?
Does it work with other bulbs as well as snowdrops?

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-02-2009, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 15:21:06 +0000, Pam Moore wrote:

Has anyone ever tried tp propagate snowdrops by "twin scaling" as in
the page here, from Judy's Snowdrops?
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/Prop...in-scaling.htm

The instructions are so detailed it should be fairly easy to do.
Is it worth it unless you have expensive varieties?
Do you get more bulbs more quickly than leaving a clump to multiply?
Does it work with other bulbs as well as snowdrops?

Pam in Bristol

Very interesting Pam. As you say seems very simple to do for anyone
wanting
to try it. I wonder if the same procedure would work with other bulbs
both
floral and edible ?
--

I bought an edible Chinese lily bulb in a food store in Gerrard Street in
London a few years ago, brought it home, took it apart and potted up the

someone

Potato "snowdrop" Ted Richardson United Kingdom 0 07-01-2005 01:14 AM
Flowering snowdrop Aphodius United Kingdom 3 17-10-2003 11:32 AM
Snowdrop planting Jack United Kingdom 22 24-03-2003 05:56 PM
Leucojum vernum, was Snowdrop planting Rodger Whitlock United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 05:20 PM
Potato-"Snowdrop" Karl Grave United Kingdom 0 22-12-2002 01:14 AM