Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lemon Plant loosing leaves

Hi All

I have had a lemon plant for a year and it has been growing fine until we
have had this cold snap. I have it in the house close to a window on a
table and as of late it has been loosing leaves Now I must admit that it
is not exactly warm in the house but its the warmest place I can keep it.

Any advice? I am hoping that once the weather warms up it will start to
regrow it leaves again...

Donna

Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Donna UK
writes
Hi All

I have had a lemon plant for a year and it has been growing fine until we
have had this cold snap. I have it in the house close to a window on a
table and as of late it has been loosing leaves Now I must admit that it
is not exactly warm in the house but its the warmest place I can keep it.

At the risk of being thought pedantic, the word is 'losing'.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Donna UK wrote:

I have had a lemon plant for a year and it has been growing fine until we
have had this cold snap. I have it in the house close to a window on a
table and as of late it has been loosing leaves Now I must admit that it
is not exactly warm in the house but its the warmest place I can keep it.

Any advice? I am hoping that once the weather warms up it will start to
regrow it leaves again...

DON'T keep it more than slightly damp until it starts up again; that
is a more likely cause of losing leaves than the cold. And, yes, it
will almost certainly reshoot vigorously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you for that Nick, will hold off on watering it until it warms up.
Roll on the warmer weather

Donna

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna UK" wrote
Thank you for that Nick, will hold off on watering it until it warms up.
Roll on the warmer weather

Too much water is usually the reason citrus have problems which is why it's
best to never leave water in a water tray, in fact I don't use water trays
with citrus for that very reason. That said, I have had a small seedling
tree lose it's leaves this winter because I missed watering it.
Yours is probably too warm as well, ours are in our unheated garage (with
clear plastic roof) so only frost free. Our citrus are now coming into
flower and I will soon move them outside against a S. facing wall once the
worst of the frost has finished.
Next winter try it right next to a N. facing window in the coldest room in
the house and move it outside for the summer only bringing it back inside if
frost is forecast. Ours are usually outside from March to October.
Citrus, like most Bonsai, are not houseplants.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/3/09 09:59, in article , "Donna UK"
wrote:

Hi All

I have had a lemon plant for a year and it has been growing fine until we
have had this cold snap. I have it in the house close to a window on a
table and as of late it has been loosing leaves Now I must admit that it
is not exactly warm in the house but its the warmest place I can keep it.

Any advice? I am hoping that once the weather warms up it will start to
regrow it leaves again...

Donna

Possibly too much water or being over a radiator? If you absolutely have to
water it because it's dried out, do so in the morning, not at night and let
it drain totally. Give it as much light as you can.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Donna UK" contains these words:

I have had a lemon plant for a year and it has been growing fine until we
have had this cold snap. I have it in the house close to a window on a
table and as of late it has been loosing leaves Now I must admit
that it
is not exactly warm in the house but its the warmest place I can keep it.

Any advice? I am hoping that once the weather warms up it will start to
regrow it leaves again...

Normal behaviour for a lemon.

--
Rusty
Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Roy Bailey contains these words:
In article , Donna UK
writes

Hi All

I have had a lemon plant for a year and it has been growing fine until we
have had this cold snap. I have it in the house close to a window on a
table and as of late it has been loosing leaves Now I must admit
that it
is not exactly warm in the house but its the warmest place I can keep it.

At the risk of being thought pedantic, the word is 'losing'.

pedant

But it has to loose them first...

/pedant

--
Rusty
Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you to all who have replied, shall give all the advice a go

Many thanks
Donna

Old 06-03-2009, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message

At the risk of being thought pedantic, the word is 'losing'.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

At the risk of being thought facetious, how did Berkshire get it's name?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna UK" wrote in message
Hi All

I have had a lemon plant for a year and it has been growing fine until we
have had this cold snap. I have it in the house close to a window on a
table and as of late it has been loosing leaves Now I must admit that
it is not exactly warm in the house but its the warmest place I can keep
it.

Any advice? I am hoping that once the weather warms up it will start to
regrow it leaves again...

Donna

I've had a dozen lemon seedlings 'growing' in the greenhouse over winter
(North West). It's not heated, they're not propagated (just growing out of a
seed tray) and the greenhouse is cetainly not frost free judging by the
amount of plants that have died in there over winter. I've also had one
growing inside the house. All of them have kept their leaves but that could
be down to their age. The cold doesn't seem to have had any affect on them.
I have very little gardening knowledge but could something else be causing
the loss of leaves?

Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Dave" contains these words:

I've had a dozen lemon seedlings 'growing' in the greenhouse over winter
(North West). It's not heated, they're not propagated (just growing
out of a
seed tray) and the greenhouse is cetainly not frost free judging by the
amount of plants that have died in there over winter. I've also had one
growing inside the house. All of them have kept their leaves but that could
be down to their age. The cold doesn't seem to have had any affect on them.
I have very little gardening knowledge but could something else be causing
the loss of leaves?

No. Well, extremely unlikely.

I left a couple of young lemons out 'sacrificially' last autumn to see
if they'd survive.

They haven't.

I expect there are varieties which are hardier than others, though.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
[...]

They were out of a couple of lemons I bought from Sainsbury's so I've no
idea what type they are... just figured I'd plant them & couldn't be
bothered finding room for them indoors over winter. I had some grapefruit
seedlings growing next to them but threw those out last week as I needed
more room in the greenhouse.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 17:02:24 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

I've grown a few lemon plants from pips. They never produce any fruit.
Even after many years. The ones that we see for sale that are already
in fruit are grafted. All you will get from pips is a plant about
three foot high with quite nice shiny leaves.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stephen Wolstenholme writes
I've grown a few lemon plants from pips. They never produce any fruit.
Even after many years. The ones that we see for sale that are already
in fruit are grafted. All you will get from pips is a plant about three
foot high with quite nice shiny leaves.

which are lemon scented so you can use them in cooking?
--
Kay