Old 07-03-2009, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

Default Duck weed and frogs

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/3/09 17:55, in article , "Donna
UK"
wrote:

Not sure about frogs but I know that fish eat a small amount of duck weed
as
I read somewhere people grow it in jars as a treat...

Donna

Ah, now that's interesting. The pond with no fish is the worst affected,
the pond with a few fish has some duckweed and the pond with loads of fish
has none. Thank you, Donna. The only problem is that we want to keep one
pond fish free so that other wildllife are safe from their predations.
Life
is full of decisions!

Could you scoop up some of the duckweed from the fish free one and dump it
in the lotsa-fish one to give them a treat ?

Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/3/09 11:37, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 11:29:51 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 6/3/09 23:47, in article , "DerekW"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 6/3/09 19:05, in article
, "Judith
in
France" wrote:

On Mar 6, 5:26 pm, Sacha wrote:
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Straw will clear it. Don't know about Frogs though.

Judith

It's quite a large pond and barley straw hasn't helped in the past - or
not
enough, anyway. I suppose we could try dragging some clumps of it across
the pond.....

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Are we confusing duckweed Lemna minor with algal blooms and filamentous
algae which barley straw does control.

No, what we have is duck weed. And it's worst on the pond we don't want to
put fish into!

How about using a vacuum cleaner made for cleaning swimming pools

It would clog up in seconds and take the small but desirable things with it,
like frogspawn, newts, dragonfly larvae etc!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
How about using a vacuum cleaner made for cleaning swimming pools

My .75hp one I use to clean my pond needs priming and if it sucks in air, as
it would to remove Duckweed on the surface, it stops sucking and would need
repriming again.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-03-2009, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"Martin" wrote
How about using a vacuum cleaner made for cleaning swimming pools

My .75hp one I use to clean my pond needs priming and if it sucks in
air, as
it would to remove Duckweed on the surface, it stops sucking and would need
repriming again.

A Vax would do it with no trouble - other than emptying it every fifteen
seconds.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 6, 10:47*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 6/3/09 19:05, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Mar 6, 5:26*pm, Sacha wrote:
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Straw will clear it. *Don't know about Frogs though.

Judith

It's quite a large pond and barley straw hasn't helped in the past - or not
enough, anyway. *I suppose we could try dragging some clumps of it across
the pond.....

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I can don my sub-aqua gear and go in and clear it for you? :-)

Judith
Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Sacha wrote
On 7/3/09 08:13, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote after...
, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!

It's taken me years to get rid of the stuff on our pond, had to buy a
skimmer (Oase SwimSkim) in the end and that has worked so far. Never seen
any of our fish eat it, indeed when they gulp down a mouthful of pellets
and
accidentally get some Duckweed too they spit it out.
Maybe it's not carp that eat it.

Thanks, Bob. I'll look that up but probably not to be used until after
the
tads have hopped it?! We have all sorts in our ponds, some carp, some
goldfish, some goodness knows what. All seem happy and are breeding, so
something must be right. But the wildlife pond need the skimmer most so
I'll look at that once the spawn has hatched.

It will need cleaning out at least daily at first, then after it's removed
the visible duckweed and other floating stuff you can extend the clean out
period. There is always duckweed hiding in places to take over again.

As far as I can see, one flake of duckweed rapidly becomes thousands. It's
terrible stuff for spreading.

We're stumped then, because we could only clear it when we are in
France, which is three or four times a year.

I see the problem has even made it to today's Grauniad. But they have
nothing much to say and no easy solution either:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...d-gardens-lia-
leendertze
--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 07-03-2009, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I read on Internet that the only way to get rid of it is to empty your
pond and
scrub everything with bleach including the pump. If you miss just one bit of
duck weed you have wasted your time.

You read it on the Internet?

It *MUST* be true...

--
Rusty

Old 07-03-2009, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:48:24 GMT, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
"Martin" wrote
How about using a vacuum cleaner made for cleaning swimming pools

My .75hp one I use to clean my pond needs priming and if it sucks in
air, as
it would to remove Duckweed on the surface, it stops sucking and
would need
repriming again.

A Vax would do it with no trouble - other than emptying it every fifteen
seconds.

and replacing it under guarantee ever hour.

Why? It's designed for slurping as well as dusting, you know.

--
Rusty
Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:31:54 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:
The message
from Martin contains these words:

I read on Internet that the only way to get rid of it is to empty your
pond and
scrub everything with bleach including the pump. If you miss just
one bit of
duck weed you have wasted your time.

You read it on the Internet?

It *MUST* be true...

Have you a better idea or a reason why it wouldn't work?

(Your sig-separator's borked - this time - two trailing spaces...

Probably, it would work, but duckweed is not too difficult to keep in
check just by raking it off the surface.

Bleach in your pond paraphernalia will kill a hell of a lot more than
duckweed - and it's not certain that it will kill all the duckweed,
anyway, unless you really go over the top with it.

--
Rusty
Old 07-03-2009, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

MTBF = +/- 1 hour.

Empty before ± 1 hour?

--
Rusty
Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/3/09 16:06, in article , "Kate
Brown" wrote:

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009, Sacha wrote

snip

As far as I can see, one flake of duckweed rapidly becomes thousands. It's
terrible stuff for spreading.

We're stumped then, because we could only clear it when we are in
France, which is three or four times a year.

I see the problem has even made it to today's Grauniad. But they have
nothing much to say and no easy solution either:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...d-gardens-lia-
leendertze

Thanks, Kate. That article made me feel a bit better because it does imply
that it has a couple of benefits! ;-) There's a strong wind blowing today,
so perhaps this will be my chance to gather up any that blows into a corner.