Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Duck weed and frogs

On Mar 8, 10:05*am, Sacha wrote:
On 7/3/09 15:55, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 07:13:09 -0800 (PST), Judith in France
wrote:

On Mar 6, 10:47*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 6/3/09 19:05, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Mar 6, 5:26*pm, Sacha wrote:
Any chance that frogs and/or tadpoles eat duckweed?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Straw will clear it. *Don't know about Frogs though.

Judith

It's quite a large pond and barley straw hasn't helped in the past - or not
enough, anyway. *I suppose we could try dragging some clumps of it across
the pond.....

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I can don my sub-aqua gear and go in and clear it for you? *:-)

If you do, can I try out my Junior Moby Dick ® *Harpoon Gun?

Thar she blows, Cap'n Ahab!

Uhoh, I feel trouble coming your way!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I was about to blast his ear off and though what the heck, where would
we be without his humour. I'm afraid I won't be around for a few days
so watch him for me and give him a slap when he needs one.

On topic, tomorrow the snowdrops will go in, how many should I plant
together, in groups of 3 or more? If you answer tout immed I will see
it but otherwise can you email the answer please???? No Martin that
does not mean you can email and give me duff advice :-)

Judith
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "DerekW" contains these
words:

Are we confusing duckweed Lemna minor with algal blooms and
filamentous
algae which barley straw does control.

I take it that's a question? I would guess that the OP would know the
difference.

hopefully so but I have heard FA (aka blanket weed and many more) described
as duckweed on many occasions ( by countrymen as well)

We had huge problems on the shoot with a pond being covered with a thick
carpet of duckweed and despite a serious effort to remove it during
which
we scooped off around 60-80 kilos a week over a month or more it came
back
within days.

Arable land nearby? That growth could be due to fertilisers leaching
into the pond.

absolutely right however the farmer is using a low input rotation which I
found amazing, the new wheat and barley varieties have such varied nutrient
requirements he needs to do virtually no addition of inorganics, by careful
selection he can get three grain crops then at the end of the rotation
he'll
drill fodder beans to boost the nitrogen levels and make a small dusting to
add what is lacking and use dry sewage mulch or manure .

This year 2008 it had all but disappeared the only difference being the
introduction of proper pondweed the previous year which has finally
taken
hold and colonised the margins it could be the heavy rain or the weed
reducing the nutrient level or even overspray when our farmer applied
herbicide (unlikely he's extremely careful about when he sprays and
the pond
is about 30 yds from the nearest cultivated area) We do get a lot of duck
but in the covered years they didn't make an impression on the carpet and
they positively avoided the pond we have few frogs ( heron activity) and
no
fish.

I'm told - but haven't tried it - that duckweed is very nutritious and
makes good a soup ingredient. The odd water snail amongst it should
provide a little body...

LOL I'll dry some up and send you a packet of 'cup o weed'
I don't remember Hugh Furry W trying that one and that lad will eat owt

Common Koi and Grass Carp do eat duckweed and I did a little
research and
found freshwater shrimp also do .

The shrimp will eat anything, but you'd need a lot of them.

More the merrier ready for introducing fish the invertebrate levels are
quite good I wouldn't mind adding in mayfly
but as the PH is very low( Mossland) I doubt they would thrive

I'll ask the local head keeper about the condition of his flight ponds

..
bit early in the year for any problems with duckweed our theory was that as
there was no exposed water the ducks were not picking up any reflection when
flighting by at dusk.This no longer the case of course I walked off 4 pair
of Mallard this morning so things look good. Another pond (old marl pit ) in
a depression about 200 yds away which always gets a light amount of the weed
still attracted duck mainly Teal.

DerekW

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/3/09 12:51, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:36:21 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 8/3/09 12:35, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:22:38 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 8/3/09 11:29, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

snip
On topic, tomorrow the snowdrops will go in, how many should I plant
together, in groups of 3 or more? If you answer tout immed I will see
it but otherwise can you email the answer please???? No Martin that
does not mean you can email and give me duff advice :-)

Judith

They'll spread naturally, so I'd put them in clumps of around 5 and let
them
do their thing!

The BBC Garden website has good advice on growing snowdrops. If we had read
it
earlier, we would long ago have stopped buying dry snowdrop bulbs and
planting
them in the lawn.

The ones I sent Judith and Pam are 'in the green'.

Until you mentioned it recently, we didn't know you could buy them in the
green.

The dry bulbs that were planted under trees last autumn have done well, all
are
in flower.

If you get really fresh bulbs, you're fine. It's those desiccated things in
little packets that have been hanging around for ages that are such a
disappointment. Mind you, I'm still gasping at what some people are
charging for them 'in the green'. I saw something like 20 for £12
advertised the other day!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "DerekW" contains these
words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "DerekW" contains these
words:

Are we confusing duckweed Lemna minor with algal blooms and
filamentous
algae which barley straw does control.

I take it that's a question? I would guess that the OP would know the
difference.

hopefully so but I have heard FA (aka blanket weed and many more) described
as duckweed on many occasions ( by countrymen as well)

It always pains me when someone who has had every opportunity to know
something about the countryside has so little grasp of things - then I
think, some people are just not interested in certain subjects - and we
can't all be experts on everything.

I used to spend more or less every free minute outside up to my armpits
in Nature as far back as I can remember. Nowadays parents etc would be
going spare - aged six, I'd be in the fields opposite, usually having
soaked-up the best part of the nearest pond...

[...]

Right opposite me the fields seem to rotate around wheat, sugar beet,
fodder beans and barley. My crops from there tend to be rabbits, wood
pigeons and the occasional squirrel. I've been eyeing the rookery too,
but last year they were culled right back, so I shall leave them alone.

[...]

So I hear, but not having a haunted fishtank, I couldn't possibly
comment. You might be surprised at some of the things that go on my
plate - try http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/fungi/dinner4a.jpg
(About 25 KB - there's a better pic in the same directory - dinner4.jpg
- about 175 KB) I 'weed' the farmer's beet and/or beans and come away
with fat hen and various oraches, and black nightshade berries (from
which I make a sort-of blueberry pie filling - nightshade pie, anyone?)

Common Koi and Grass Carp do eat duckweed and I did a little
research and
found freshwater shrimp also do .

The shrimp will eat anything, but you'd need a lot of them.

More the merrier ready for introducing fish the invertebrate levels are
quite good I wouldn't mind adding in mayfly
but as the PH is very low( Mossland) I doubt they would thrive

Don't they prefer running water?

If you have bog myrtle amongst the moss, it makes a very good green tea
- only don't use too much - much less of it than you would use
tealeaves. It's supposed to be good for the nerves.

I'll ask the local head keeper about the condition of his flight ponds

..
bit early in the year for any problems with duckweed our theory was
that as
there was no exposed water the ducks were not picking up any
reflection when
flighting by at dusk.This no longer the case of course I walked off 4 pair
of Mallard this morning so things look good. Another pond (old marl
pit ) in
a depression about 200 yds away which always gets a light amount of
the weed
still attracted duck mainly Teal.

We only seem to have mallard here. The odd skein of geese passes over,
but I've never known them to visit. The Guns get terribly excited about
the duck, but not very many of them have clue. In my youth I used to go
wildfowling on the Blackwater Estuary, though more time was spent in
conservation of nesting areas than with the artillery. (9-Bore Joe
Manton SB percussion)

--
Rusty
Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message

into the pond.

Right opposite me the fields seem to rotate around wheat, sugar beet,
fodder beans and barley. My crops from there tend to be rabbits, wood

pigeons and the occasional squirrel. I've been eyeing the rookery too,
but last year they were culled right back, so I shall leave them alone.

We should be seeing the first problems with the woodies anytime, after
the horrendous weather the rst of the fields dried enough to be ploughed
and drilled so wheat sprouts are likely to be high on the diet list for the
woodies and woody pie on mine!

.. You might be surprised at some of the things that go on my
plate - try http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/fungi/dinner4a.jpg
(About 25 KB - there's a better pic in the same directory - dinner4.jpg
- about 175 KB) I 'weed' the farmer's beet and/or beans and come away
with fat hen and various oraches, and black nightshade berries (from
which I make a sort-of blueberry pie filling - nightshade pie, anyone?)

Got to say I'm impressed I get a few puffballs and field shrooms on the
plate
but thats a veritable smorgasbord we had a lot of birch blown down a
combination
of the moss being sodden and gales and I have a pack of shittake spawn and a
drill
so we stand a chance of a crop come autumn

Common Koi and Grass Carp do eat duckweed and I did a little
research and
found freshwater shrimp also do .

The shrimp will eat anything, but you'd need a lot of them.

More the merrier ready for introducing fish the invertebrate levels are
quite good I wouldn't mind adding in mayfly
but as the PH is very low( Mossland) I doubt they would thrive

Don't they prefer running water?

Yep they grow in high densities on running but they do thrive in spring
fed ponds as well, always found a goodly number in blanket weed
along with boatmen froglets fish fry and nymphs

If you have bog myrtle amongst the moss, it makes a very good green tea
- only don't use too much - much less of it than you would use
tealeaves. It's supposed to be good for the nerves.

I 'll have to have a look see I could do with calming down a touch.

We only seem to have mallard here. The odd skein of geese passes over,
but I've never known them to visit. The Guns get terribly excited about
the duck, but not very many of them have clue. In my youth I used to go
wildfowling on the Blackwater Estuary, though more time was spent in
conservation of nesting areas than with the artillery. (9-Bore Joe
Manton SB percussion)

Cristamighty I hope you had a tin hat to go with a cannon like that
I'll stick with my trusty Beretta 302 12 b more than enough lead
(er I mean non-toxic shot occifer) for me I've had the priviledge
of letting off a few bigger bore blackpowder pieces at gamefairs
and the like, happily the hair has now grown back
DerekW

Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "DerekW" contains these
words:

We only seem to have mallard here. The odd skein of geese passes over,
but I've never known them to visit. The Guns get terribly excited about
the duck, but not very many of them have clue. In my youth I used to go
wildfowling on the Blackwater Estuary, though more time was spent in
conservation of nesting areas than with the artillery. (9-Bore Joe
Manton SB percussion)

Cristamighty I hope you had a tin hat to go with a cannon like that

Nope. And as it's difficult to measure a 9-bore load, and it was a good
stout gun, I stoked it with 8-bore loads.

I'll stick with my trusty Beretta 302 12 b more than enough lead
(er I mean non-toxic shot occifer) for me

It seems that the 'evidence' that wildfowl pick up lead pellets was
falsified. The legislation wasn't rescinded, though.

I've had the priviledge
of letting off a few bigger bore blackpowder pieces at gamefairs
and the like, happily the hair has now grown back

Got a percussion 10-bore now, and a flintlock 4-bore under restoration,
as well as a pile of old percussion bits and pieces of more or less
complete lumps - many in need of fettling. There are enough bits to mate
a 20-bore percussion deer rifle barrel and a stock which has a woodcock
barrel on it ATM. With a suitable box, it should be a pleasant little
item.

The Joe Manton caused a bit of a stir at the 1962(?) CLA Game Fair at
Longleat, smoking Single Birds Down the Line...

--
Rusty

Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Its funny that because the real evidence was presented about 10? years
earlier when spilt shot was banned for coarse fishing and the evidence
was quite unequivocal shooting shot presented no danger to wild fowl
and that was agreed upon by every body involved in the ban. Like
everything else this bunch of weasels (Brown and co) does they decide
what they are going to do and then bend the facts to suit their
requirements.

I've had the priviledge
of letting off a few bigger bore blackpowder pieces at gamefairs
and the like, happily the hair has now grown back

Got a percussion 10-bore now, and a flintlock 4-bore under restoration,
as well as a pile of old percussion bits and pieces of more or less
complete lumps - many in need of fettling. There are enough bits to mate
a 20-bore percussion deer rifle barrel and a stock which has a woodcock
barrel on it ATM. With a suitable box, it should be a pleasant little
item.

The Joe Manton caused a bit of a stir at the 1962(?) CLA Game Fair at
Longleat, smoking Single Birds Down the Line...

You going to build an estuary punt to go with the 4 (Fen Cannon stanchion
gun?) Its
a pity really I threw away an old copy of Shooting Times that featured that
boat Jack Hargreaves and Colin Willock built

DerekW

Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/3/09 21:56, in article , "DerekW"
wrote:
snip
Its
a pity really I threw away an old copy of Shooting Times that featured that
boat Jack Hargreaves and Colin Willock built

DerekW

Was Jack Hargreaves the one that did that wonderful programme that was shown
on Sundays, back in the 70s. Something like A Countryman's Diary?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "DerekW" contains these
words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...

It seems that the 'evidence' that wildfowl pick up lead pellets was
falsified. The legislation wasn't rescinded, though.

Its funny that because the real evidence was presented about 10? years
earlier when spilt shot was banned for coarse fishing and the evidence
was quite unequivocal shooting shot presented no danger to wild fowl
and that was agreed upon by every body involved in the ban. Like
everything else this bunch of weasels (Brown and co) does they decide
what they are going to do and then bend the facts to suit their
requirements.

Not just this present shower. If you ever took Guns Review, you might
have seen my pome lampooning Hurd and Hogg which I sent them - and they
published as a leader. (Having altered a line so it didn't scan!)

[...]

I've been coveting a one-bore which hangs in an antique shop in Norwich.
The owner has promised it to his son, and it will pass to his grandson,
so it's in good hands.

I did have a gunning punt, but it was a plywood copy and not made with
marine ply, so you didn't want to stand up in it... I have some basic
plans for another...

--
Rusty