GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Well well! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181705-re-well-well.html)

Judith in France 11-03-2009 06:40 PM

Well well!

On Mar 11, 12:01*pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
I have been told there is an old well in our back yard. This got me thinking
that I could drop a pump down it and use the water for garden watering,
vehicle washing, pressure washing the paths etc and save a lot of water from
the mains, which I pay for twice, once as water used and again as sewage
charge to the water authority. Anyway I have now found it. I drilled a hole
through the tarmac at a spot where the snow and ice always melts first and
bingo I have a cavity. The problem now is that it is 14m deep!!! Yes 14
meters no exaggeration. I measured it by dropping a plumb bob down the hole,
and had to find more string. The good news is that there is at least two
metres of water at the bottom.

So my original plan to just drop the submersible pump down there as required
may not work as I doubt it will lift the water that far. I now wonder if
investing in a better pump would be worthwhile as the electricity used to
lift the water may cost more than I pay the water authority.

Anyone have any experience in the cost of running a pump at that depth?

Mike

Mike we have a well here but it is not quite as deep as yours, yours
is almost one and half atmospheres. It needs a pump at the bottom of
the well to push the water up not one of the surface to suck it up, as
we have, although you could fit a pump half way if there was
sufficient room. We have several metres in the bottom of ours and in
the hot summers, we use it daily. I'm not really up on this stuff but
a quick Google hopefully will help you.

Judith