Old 12-03-2009, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID of exotic flower please

Does anyone recognise this? It's a shrub, I feel pretty sure and has woody
stems and leaves rather like a Callistemon. But the curly bits on the
flower remind me of Grevillea, though the flower head is probably between 4
and 6" long and is conical. The leaves are a greyish green, narrow and
about 2" long.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2uekw8h.jpg
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-03-2009, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:07:12 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Does anyone recognise this? It's a shrub, I feel pretty sure and has woody
stems and leaves rather like a Callistemon. But the curly bits on the
flower remind me of Grevillea, though the flower head is probably between 4
and 6" long and is conical. The leaves are a greyish green, narrow and
about 2" long.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2uekw8h.jpg

It doesn't say much for Hillhouse Nursery if you can't recognise a
plant, does it?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
Does anyone recognise this? It's a shrub, I feel pretty sure and has woody
stems and leaves rather like a Callistemon. But the curly bits on the
flower remind me of Grevillea, though the flower head is probably between 4
and 6" long and is conical. The leaves are a greyish green, narrow and
about 2" long.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2uekw8h.jpg

At first sight it looks like a Banksia
--
Kay
Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/3/09 17:59, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
Does anyone recognise this? It's a shrub, I feel pretty sure and has woody
stems and leaves rather like a Callistemon. But the curly bits on the
flower remind me of Grevillea, though the flower head is probably between 4
and 6" long and is conical. The leaves are a greyish green, narrow and
about 2" long.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2uekw8h.jpg

At first sight it looks like a Banksia

I put that to Ray and he thinks that's a definite 'maybe' I don't really
like them but always think of them as stonking great muscly things - don't
know why, really. Here's another photo which is a bit more helpful, I
think:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2m5zc44.jpg

Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 12 Mar, 18:24, Sacha wrote:
On 12/3/09 17:59, in article , "K"

wrote:
Sacha writes
Does anyone recognise this? *It's a shrub, I feel pretty sure and has woody
stems and leaves rather like a Callistemon. *But the curly bits on the
flower remind me of Grevillea, though the flower head is probably between 4
and 6" long and is conical. *The leaves are a greyish green, narrow and
about 2" long.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2uekw8h.jpg

At first sight it looks like a Banksia

I put that to Ray and he thinks that's a definite 'maybe' *I don't really
like them but always think of them as stonking great muscly things - don't
know why, really. *Here's another photo which is a bit more helpful, I
think:http://i41.tinypic.com/2m5zc44.jpg

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

My first thought is a Grevillia flower before it's fully open
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27238688@N00/189639388
David Hill

Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/3/09 21:00, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

On 12 Mar, 18:24, Sacha wrote:
On 12/3/09 17:59, in article , "K"

wrote:
Sacha writes
[...]

But do any Grevilleas grow in those long flower heads? The ones I've seen
are like small 'balls' of flowers.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"Dave Hill" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
k wrote:
Sacha writes
[...]

Take a look at this...
http://www.australisplants.com.au/or...talSunset1.jpg
probably not the cultivar but take a look at the leaves too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-03-2009, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/3/09 23:07, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
"Dave Hill" wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Sacha writes

http://www.australisplants.com.au/or...villeaCoastalS
unset1.jpg
probably not the cultivar but take a look at the leaves too.

That's very, very close, Bob. The one I've got in a bouquet is so similar
to that. Grevillea it is, surely? You and David Hill must be right, I
think. Now I need to pin down which it is, precisely. And also wonder if
we can find a shoot or two to from which to take cuttings! It's a lovely
thing.

Old 13-03-2009, 05:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It is Grevillea and very close to G. banksii, but the flower spike may
be too long for that species even though there are several quite
diverse forms. There have been quite a few banksii hybrids over the
years and it's a fairly safe bet that this is one of them.
Old 13-03-2009, 05:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

That's very, very close, Bob. The one I've got in a bouquet is so similar
to that. Grevillea it is, surely? You and David Hill must be right, I
think. Now I need to pin down which it is, precisely. And also wonder if
we can find a shoot or two to from which to take cuttings! It's a lovely
thing.

Have a look at:
http://asgap.org.au/grev1.html

A good starting point for info on Grevilleas.

Old 13-03-2009, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/3/09 05:16, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

That's very, very close, Bob. The one I've got in a bouquet is so similar
to that. Grevillea it is, surely? You and David Hill must be right, I
think. Now I need to pin down which it is, precisely. And also wonder if
we can find a shoot or two to from which to take cuttings! It's a lovely
thing.

Have a look at:
http://asgap.org.au/grev1.html

A good starting point for info on Grevilleas.

That's a marvellous site! I've bookmarked it for future reference. Many
thanks.

Old 13-03-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 13/3/09 05:15, in article
, "DaveP"
wrote:

It is Grevillea and very close to G. banksii, but the flower spike may
be too long for that species even though there are several quite
diverse forms. There have been quite a few banksii hybrids over the
years and it's a fairly safe bet that this is one of them.

Thanks, Dave and to others who answered helpfully. Interesting, Kay thought
it was a Banksia, given its actual name.

It might not be named for its superficial similarity to Banksia, it
might simply be honouring the same botanist

--
Kay
Old 13-03-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 13/3/09 05:15, in article
, "DaveP"
wrote:

It is Grevillea and very close to G. banksii, but the flower spike may
be too long for that species even though there are several quite
diverse forms. There have been quite a few banksii hybrids over the
years and it's a fairly safe bet that this is one of them.

Thanks, Dave and to others who answered helpfully. Interesting, Kay
thought it was a Banksia, given its actual name. Am I right in thinking
it wouldn't be hardy here? It looks too exotic, somehow. And in NZ -
while I remember - we saw a very low-growing Grevillea being used as
ground cover. The owner didn't know its name and it's not one we'd seen
before. It's a very pretty leaf - do you know which it is? This was in
the warmer North Island.
http://i41.tinypic.com/bdqr6c.jpg

There are dozens of Grevilleas (many hybrids). Many of these are hardy in
the UK (particularly those based around G. rosmarinifolia). I have grown
"G.rosmarinifolia" (it's in quotes because although that's what I bought it
as, it may be a hybrid) for years, and it's quite hardy here in Sussex,
growing in good wealden clay! It's now approaching 4 metres in height, and
is in flower for most months of the year. As to its hardiness, it has
shrugged off -8°C without a blink - even the flower buds haven't been
touched.

You may be interested in http://www.anzplantsoc.org.uk

--
Jeff