Old 17-03-2009, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Who's got squirrel-trapping experience?

Christina Websell wrote:
Aaah. Now you have to examine your conscience. There is no
difference in setting a Fenn trap or killing it yourself except you
excuse yourself and pretend you didn't do it if the Fenn trap gets it.

We believe that if we kill something, it must be done cleanly and if edible,
(ie not rats) we eat it,

I shoot, but I can't guarantee a clean kill, so only David shoots live
things.

Old 17-03-2009, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

You'd do much better to get a catch alive trap for squirrels. Fenn traps
are best for rats and stoats.
Plan B if all else fails but if you're not good Plan A.

I think it is illegal to release trapped grey squirrels...

It is, except under licence. That doesn't stop it happening, though ...

But grey squirrels caught in live traps (which are all you can legally use
in areas where you might encounter red squirrels, for obvious reasons) are
usually despatched by letting them run into a sack and bashing them over the
head, or by shooting with air rifle whilst in the trap. Some people drown
them in the trap, but that is inhumane.

Old 17-03-2009, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:36:27 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

You seem to assume I am stupid.

Not necessarily. Maybe just confused or misinformed.
Old 17-03-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:12:26 +0000, mark wrote:

Citation? The urine of all mammals is usually sterile.

http://www.broadland.gov.uk/environment/1080.asp

Thanks. I missed the /can/. Specifically the spirochetes responsible for
Weil's disease, if and when the rat is infected.
Old 17-03-2009, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On 16 Mar, 18:47, "alan.holmes" wrote:

Please enlighten me, you could have saved me a lot of money, I have three
fenn traps.

Hi Alan,

Don't get excited, I think he means he's doing what I've been trying,
ie using a fenn trap but building a tunnel round it with four bricks
and a couple of tiles.

Could you explain a bit more about your tunnel technqiue with the bin
bag? You mean you're burying the trap in the earth (which I'm also
doing) and then making some sort of tunnel with a bin bag? One of the
points of the tunnel is to make sure other species don't go into the
trap, I can't see how a bin bag would manage that, but I'm ready to
try all (lawful) ideas.

I'm not now sure what I have are Fenn traps, these are made of wire, a
square tunnel about a couple of feet long and about 6 inches square, a door
at each end which is help open with a piece of wire connected to a pad which
when the tree rats walk over it shuts the doors at each end.

Sits on the surface of the ground and the vermin walk into it because they
have a fasination with tunnels.

Alan

Old 17-03-2009, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/3/09 10:42, in article
net, "mark"
wrote:

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
I've got a Fenn MkIV trap but I'm not having much success in coaxing
the little bleeders into its jaws. I've dug the trap into the earth
so
that its treadle plate is pretty much level with the soil and then
covered the whole trap with bark chips to make it more or less
invisible. I bought a metal tunnel with the trap, and I've covered
the
whole set up with this. But despite scattering a few peanuts around
and inside the tunnel I've had no luck. They eat the nuts outside and
carefully avoid the tunnel. I thought perhaps they didn't like the
strange metal tunnel, so I've tried a couple of house bricks with
roof
tile on top - no success that way either.

I don't much like the idea of poison for the sake of the squirrels or
other wildlife, so plan B is an airgun, but obviously a trap would be
a lot less work (and less vulnerable to my appalling marksmanship).

I feed mine peanuts.
I quite like to watch them.

mark

They're lovely to watch but they're so destructive to birds' eggs.

Hmmn. Eating an egg or chick is 100% destructive to it, true, but how
many birds' eggs and chicks does the average squirrel consume each year,
and, more important, what effect do squirrels have on bird breeding
success? Dr Mark Avery, Director of Conservation for the RSPB wrote in a
letter to the Telegraph on 22nd October, 2007, "Grey squirrels are not
found in most other parts of Europe, yet woodland bird population is
also dropping on the continent. ... Poor woodland management, climate
change and factors affecting migrating birds are far more significant."
Wise words, IMO, and I don't believe we should rush to judgement to
scapegoat squirrels, magpies and sparrowhawks for observed declines in
bird populations.

In addition to changes in the climate and in agricultural practices at
home and abroad, there are plenty of gardeners who have been doing their
bit to destroy birds' habitats, by removing nesting sites (trees,
shrubs, holes under eaves, etc), food stuffs (weeds and seeds etc) and
paving over or decking land which used to produce invertebrate food for
birds. Wouldn't it be ironic if such people were to start killing
squirrels and magpies because they don't notice so many birds about as
there used to be?

I wonder if he would feel the same if he wanted to grow things like nuts
for his table?

You are what you eat, they say.

So, if I ate a squirrel, would I become a squirrel?

Alan

Old 17-03-2009, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
et...

[...]

I'm sure the traps I have are Fenn, and at first I had a lot of trouble
luring the damned things into the trap. a neighbour told me they like
tunnels, so I covered the thing with bits of twigs and other debris, and
the following morning I noticed there was something strange about the
trap, when I went to have look it had one of the vermin in it.

I now cover them with a dustbin bag, put some peanuts inside on a small
tin lid, and the success rate has been high.

Don't give up, just keep trying, you will be successful in the end.

Alan

Fenn traps showing he
http://www.thehuntinglife.com/html/s...fenn-trap.html

Then the traps I have are not Fenn, I wonder what they are?

Old 17-03-2009, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:18:04 +0000, Christina Websell wrote:

You'd do much better to get a catch alive trap for squirrels. Fenn
traps are best for rats and stoats.
Plan B if all else fails but if you're not good Plan A.

Who says? Fenn 4's are legal for squirrels (among other vermin). WTF do
you do with a live-caught one? It's against the law to release vermin on
someone else's land. Drop the live trap in the rain-barrel? A Fenn is
much more humane. I really don't think you've thought this one through!

It takes about 8 seconds to drown the rat, better than trying to shoot it
and just injuring it so it takes hours to die!

Old 17-03-2009, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

You'd do much better to get a catch alive trap for squirrels. Fenn
traps
are best for rats and stoats.
Plan B if all else fails but if you're not good Plan A.

I think it is illegal to release trapped grey squirrels...

It always was, but I think the law has changed recently on this.

I hope not!

Alan

Old 17-03-2009, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

You'd do much better to get a catch alive trap for squirrels. Fenn traps
are best for rats and stoats.
Plan B if all else fails but if you're not good Plan A.

I think it is illegal to release trapped grey squirrels...

And dangerous, they have claws like razors.

Alan

--
Rusty

Old 17-03-2009, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:39:06 -0000, Christina Websell wrote:

I think it is illegal to release trapped grey squirrels...

It always was, but I think the law has changed recently on this.

The law hasn't changed but the tree huggers have enabled the RSPCA to have
an exemption so when they rescue a tree rat they don't have to kill it,
they can let it go.

TBH I'm not that fussed about greys in most parts of the country but if
one sticks it's head up around here it'll get said head blown off. We live
in one of the few places on the UK mainland that still has a Red
population.

When I was a child red sqirrels were in abundance, but I haven't seen one
for years.

Alan

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-03-2009, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

snip

I wonder if he would feel the same if he wanted to grow things like nuts
for his table?

You are what you eat, they say.

So, if I ate a squirrel, would I become a squirrel?

And have to cull yourself? I hope not.

I don't think the saying is meant to be taken literally, see

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/y...you%20eat.html

The man growing nuts for his table would probably feel the better for it,
IMO.

Old 17-03-2009, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"alan.holmes" wrote in message
news

"mark" wrote in message
et...

[...]

These are yours, aren't they?

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/pd4...UIRRELMINK.htm

Old 17-03-2009, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

But grey squirrels caught in live traps (which are all you can legally use
in areas where you might encounter red squirrels, for obvious reasons) are
usually despatched by letting them run into a sack and bashing them
over the
head, or by shooting with air rifle whilst in the trap. Some people drown
them in the trap, but that is inhumane.

Yes. To all of that.

When I shoot something, it stays shot, as several people have been
surprised to note.

--
Rusty
Old 17-03-2009, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "alan.holmes" contains these words:

I'm not now sure what I have are Fenn traps, these are made of wire, a
square tunnel about a couple of feet long and about 6 inches square, a door
at each end which is help open with a piece of wire connected to a pad
which
when the tree rats walk over it shuts the doors at each end.

Sits on the surface of the ground and the vermin walk into it because they
have a fasination with tunnels.

Not a Fenn trap.

The fenn trap is like a gin trap with flat jaws.

--
Rusty