Old 16-03-2009, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Who's got squirrel-trapping experience?

I've got a Fenn MkIV trap but I'm not having much success in coaxing
the little bleeders into its jaws. I've dug the trap into the earth so
that its treadle plate is pretty much level with the soil and then
covered the whole trap with bark chips to make it more or less
invisible. I bought a metal tunnel with the trap, and I've covered the
whole set up with this. But despite scattering a few peanuts around
and inside the tunnel I've had no luck. They eat the nuts outside and
carefully avoid the tunnel. I thought perhaps they didn't like the
strange metal tunnel, so I've tried a couple of house bricks with roof
tile on top - no success that way either.

I don't much like the idea of poison for the sake of the squirrels or
other wildlife, so plan B is an airgun, but obviously a trap would be
a lot less work (and less vulnerable to my appalling marksmanship).
Old 16-03-2009, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Martin Pentreath contains these words:

I don't much like the idea of poison for the sake of the squirrels or
other wildlife, so plan B is an airgun, but obviously a trap would be
a lot less work (and less vulnerable to my appalling marksmanship).

Plan B and a lot of practice.

You're unlikely to lure a sqrl into a tunnel.

You could try erecting a board/piece of sheet a few inches above the
ground and putting peanuts under that to accustom it to the cover, then
glueing peanuts to the #### and burying it as before.

With the board set high enough not to be threatening, and low enough to
deter birds, you *MIGHT* succeed.

Want a recipe for sqrl?

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
I've got a Fenn MkIV trap but I'm not having much success in coaxing
the little bleeders into its jaws. I've dug the trap into the earth so
that its treadle plate is pretty much level with the soil and then
covered the whole trap with bark chips to make it more or less
invisible. I bought a metal tunnel with the trap, and I've covered the
whole set up with this. But despite scattering a few peanuts around
and inside the tunnel I've had no luck. They eat the nuts outside and
carefully avoid the tunnel. I thought perhaps they didn't like the
strange metal tunnel, so I've tried a couple of house bricks with roof
tile on top - no success that way either.

I don't much like the idea of poison for the sake of the squirrels or
other wildlife, so plan B is an airgun, but obviously a trap would be
a lot less work (and less vulnerable to my appalling marksmanship).

Why kill the squirrels?

Old 16-03-2009, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message

from Martin Pentreath contains these
words:

I don't much like the idea of poison for the sake of the squirrels or
other wildlife, so plan B is an airgun, but obviously a trap would be
a lot less work (and less vulnerable to my appalling marksmanship).

Plan B and a lot of practice.

You're unlikely to lure a sqrl into a tunnel.

You could try erecting a board/piece of sheet a few inches above the
ground and putting peanuts under that to accustom it to the cover,
then glueing peanuts to the #### and burying it as before.

With the board set high enough not to be threatening, and low enough
to deter birds, you *MIGHT* succeed.

Want a recipe for sqrl?

Might I suggest the OP learns to use his airgun well? Much better to eat
what you kill if they are edible. I have plenty of recipes if anyone is
interested

Old 16-03-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:52:33 +0000, pied piper wrote:

Why kill the squirrels?

Because they are incredibly destructive vermin?

OP: bricks and slate works for me, I don't use any 'bait' - their natural
curiosity usually gets them.

Old 16-03-2009, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I feed mine peanuts.
I quite like to watch them.

mark

Old 16-03-2009, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

[...]

So what is it these particular squirrels are doing in your house/garden that
merits the death penalty? If you really need to kill them, and you can't
manage it properly yourself, why not hire an expert to do it for you, as
quickly and cleanly as possible? A person who has qualms about the use of
poison bait would also be wise to avoid shooting at free animals unless and
until confident of making a clean kill, by the way.

Old 16-03-2009, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/3/09 10:42, in article
net, "mark"
wrote:

[...]

They're lovely to watch but they're so destructive to birds' eggs.

Hmmn. Eating an egg or chick is 100% destructive to it, true, but how many
birds' eggs and chicks does the average squirrel consume each year, and,
more important, what effect do squirrels have on bird breeding success? Dr
Mark Avery, Director of Conservation for the RSPB wrote in a letter to the
Telegraph on 22nd October, 2007, "Grey squirrels are not found in most other
parts of Europe, yet woodland bird population is also dropping on the
continent. ... Poor woodland management, climate change and factors
affecting migrating birds are far more significant." Wise words, IMO, and I
don't believe we should rush to judgement to scapegoat squirrels, magpies
and sparrowhawks for observed declines in bird populations.

In addition to changes in the climate and in agricultural practices at home
and abroad, there are plenty of gardeners who have been doing their bit to
destroy birds' habitats, by removing nesting sites (trees, shrubs, holes
under eaves, etc), food stuffs (weeds and seeds etc) and paving over or
decking land which used to produce invertebrate food for birds. Wouldn't it
be ironic if such people were to start killing squirrels and magpies because
they don't notice so many birds about as there used to be?

Old 16-03-2009, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:08:38 +0000, BAC wrote:

A person who has qualms about
the use of poison bait would also be wise to avoid shooting at free
animals unless and until confident of making a clean kill, by the way.

Agreed. Sod the air-rifle, get a 12-bore.

Old 16-03-2009, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BAC" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/3/09 10:42, in article
net, "mark"
wrote:

[...]

I would guess that cats do more than their share of keeping the bird
population down.

mark

Old 16-03-2009, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/3/09 11:52, in article ,
"BAC" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/3/09 10:42, in article
net, "mark"
wrote:

[...]

We actively encourage birdlife here. They're a vital part of the biological
controls we use! So if bird numbers fall here it's because squirrels take
eggs or a sparrowhawk has come calling! One of our staff caught one in the
big greenhouse a while ago and there are photos of it on our web site -
beautiful but deadly!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-03-2009, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "pied piper" contains these words:

Why kill the squirrels?

Now you've started something.

And before you have time to berathe out...

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Rusty_Hinge contains these words:

####

Sorry about that - was going to try to unforget the name of the trigger
plate - it has one, but for the life of me...

--
Rusty
Old 16-03-2009, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:
[...]

As I said: "Plan B, and a lot of practice"

--
Rusty