GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bats? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/181914-bats.html)

Sacha[_3_] 20-03-2009 06:48 PM

Bats?

Am I seeing things? The evening is very chilly but I'm almost certain I've
just seen a bat fly past my window! Can anyone tell me what time of year
they usually get going - I associate them with much warmer evenings than
this.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

robert 20-03-2009 07:12 PM

Bats?

In message , Sacha
writes
Am I seeing things? The evening is very chilly but I'm almost certain I've
just seen a bat fly past my window! Can anyone tell me what time of year
they usually get going - I associate them with much warmer evenings than
this.

Could be. I haven't seen any so far this year but last year I spotted
the first of our regular Pipistrelles over the garden (a bit nearer the
coast than you) on 3 April.

--
Robert

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-03-2009 09:21 PM

Bats?

In article ,
says...
Am I seeing things? The evening is very chilly but I'm almost certain I've
just seen a bat fly past my window! Can anyone tell me what time of year
they usually get going - I associate them with much warmer evenings than
this.

I have seen one or two but they normally appear in numbers about the same
time as the Swallows ie mid April
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha[_3_] 21-03-2009 12:22 AM

Bats?

On 20/3/09 21:21, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
Am I seeing things? The evening is very chilly but I'm almost certain I've
just seen a bat fly past my window! Can anyone tell me what time of year
they usually get going - I associate them with much warmer evenings than
this.

I have seen one or two but they normally appear in numbers about the same
time as the Swallows ie mid April

Thanks to you and to Robert - I did wonder if they might have come out early
because last year was so bad for them and they're hungry! Or is that just
not bat behaviour?

Dymphna[_3_] 23-03-2009 06:12 PM

Bats?

Check your attic - you wouldn't want bats in your belfry. (Bad pun, but
I couldn't help it.)

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Sacha[_3_] 23-03-2009 10:53 PM

Bats?

On 23/3/09 18:12, in article ,
"Dymphna" wrote:

Check your attic - you wouldn't want bats in your belfry. (Bad pun, but
I couldn't help it.)

Bats are in the shed. They may well be in the belfry but that's next door.
;-)

beccabunga 23-03-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dymphna[_3_] (Post 834872)
Check your attic - you wouldn't want bats in your belfry. (Bad pun, but
I couldn't help it.)

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

But if you do have bats in your belfry, there is nothing you can do - they are all protected by law. We had bats in our attic - they never caused any problems.